FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to openbox9

Re: Dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb!

said by openbox9:

Like buying any other group of assets, Dish gets the good stuff and can throw away the rest. It's not about "buying a 1984 business".

I wouldn't say Dish WON this auction. More like they paid for a brand name that is now pretty much worthless. If they wanted to be a Netflix broadband streaming competitor, they could have done that on their own name and spent the $320 million on content deals and on tons of advertising. I think they spent a lot of money on something worth 1/10th of what they paid for it
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
Blockbuster already had several content deals, which I'm guessing is what Dish, and the other bidders, wanted. I seriously doubt that Dish, or any of the other bidders, care about the Blockbuster brand. Just my guess. I don't have a dog in the fight either way.

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

But that Brand is the primary asset they purchased. The problem is that Brand is about as tarnished as they come. I don't know very many people that weren't burned by Blockbuster late fees and hate the company as a result. In fact a know a lot of people that even though blockbuster had better mail order DVD deals refused to deal with them for that very reason.

If Dish spent that money for the content deals I hope they are smart enough to drop the brand because it's a toxic name IMO.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
Dish already has a brand, no reason to confuse what people already know. I doubt we'll see or hear Blockbuster again except in the history archives.