share rss forum feed

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There

I guess I was due...

»Update on my job (part 2)

I have proudly worked for the US federal government for the past 25 years in one form or another, first as an active duty service member and then a civilian. I have always tried to do my best no matter what, even when I knew I would not get any rewards from doing so.

These past couple of years, it has bcome too hard to have that attitude and with the current administration really kicking federal government employees in the nuts, well, all I can say is I hope they offer me an eary retirement. *sigh*

I just found out today that Uncle Sam doesn't consider me an essential employee and if this pathetic congress doesn't get off their fat asses and pass a budget, well, I'll hold a job that doesn't pay.

Sorry, just needed to vent.
--
»www.jrslaterphotography.com/

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

1 recommendation

It's Congress.
They agree on nothing, do nothing, and don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. Including us "common" folks (Americans). The only time they do, is when something effects them directly. (ie: Money.. aka: Lobbyists) Or if it is time to vote again and they suck up to us voters. Other then that, they don't care. This looming shut down doesn't effect them. They still get paid... for what is the question.
--
I lift things up, and put them down."

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

said by Dominokat:

They still get paid... for what is the question.

I think it's time we "Americans" changed that. and you are right, it's Congress. I say it's high time we made them toe the line just like everyone else. Put service back into civil service. Make them work long hours with little pay and no benefits.

I know, I'm dreaming, but hell, this is American. I'm allowed to dream.
--

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater

i understand your anger. i got word from an agency a few weeks back that there is a hiring freeze until (insert whenever) due to the bureaucratic budgetary BS.
at least i have a paying job until 'whenever'.
--
"Linux is only free if your time has no value" - Jamie Zawinski

MrsFixitSC
IvVe Got A License To Chill
Premium
join:2001-12-09
Moncks Corner, SC

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater

Curious about something...is it "not getting paid" or "delayed pay"?

Say they don't pass a budget for a month....do you not get paid for that month at all, ever or is your pay delayed for that month?

**edited 4/10 to change "you" pay to "youR" pay.

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

Technically, I guess it's delayed pay. Unfortunately my bills won't wait for the "delayed" paycheck and all these plans I had, like visit my ailing father in Mississippi and see my wife's family in Panama, will all have to wait.

I know things could be worse, it's just well, not the way things should be. Congress should have had this done and signed last year and they should be working on next years budget now. Will I survive this? Sure, and I needed a bit more motivation to get my photography biz moving, but I'm just a bit disgusted in the way they are handleing the whole mess.

Anyways, the anger has passed, and the depression is almost gone but the resolve to do something is getting stronger. Hopefully I can put that energy to good use.

Sorry for venting earlier. I feel better when I get it all out.
--

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

1 recommendation

reply to MrsFixitSC

i'll clarify this a bit.
if the government shuts down and you are classified an essential worker, you are required to come into work. you won't receive any pay until after the budget or an extension is signed, then you will get all your back-pay.
if you are classified as a non-essential worker, you don't show up to work until the budget is approved and you're contacted to say when to show up. you won't receive any back-pay unless Congress approves that non-essential workers shall receive pay for the time they did not work.
Congress approved non-essential workers' back-pay the last time this happened but it's a different economy and Congress nowadays. Who knows what they will and won't approve especially after freezing pay for 2 years recently.
--
"Linux is only free if your time has no value" - Jamie Zawinski

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

To make matters worse, they are not even sure if those that are told to go home will qaulify for unemployment and we've even been told that since we technically are still government employees, we may not be able to get other jobs in the mean time. Gets me angry every time I start to think about it... and it's getting very hard not to tap my three bottles of tequila. All this crap on my 23 wedding anniversary to boot! Bastards... where the hell is that damn ice?
--

Midgard

join:2010-10-11
MA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater

The government and the NFL need to figure out how to work this stuff out. Two different multi-billion dollar entities in the same situation at the same time.
--
"Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1." -Warren Buffett