share rss forum feed

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

Tic mark next to call log?

Click for full size
Has anyone ever seen it before? Also I have simu-ring the rings my PP # and my cell phone, if no one answers after 24 seconds in goes to Youmail and it works like a champ. However, if I use my cell phone to call my PP # I get my YouMail voicemail after one ring. I have Youmail enabled on both my home and cell #. Could this be causing some sort of loopback. If anyone has any suggestions that would be cool. Thx
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
said by topgun:

Has anyone ever seen it before? Also I have simu-ring the rings my PP # and my cell phone, if no one answers after 24 seconds in goes to Youmail and it works like a champ. However, if I use my cell phone to call my PP # I get my YouMail voicemail after one ring. I have Youmail enabled on both my home and cell #. Could this be causing some sort of loopback. If anyone has any suggestions that would be cool. Thx

Well the tic mark disappeared so that must have been some type of browser glitch. Did some testing and sure enough I call from my cell-phone I get an unintended call loop. So I will call PP in the mourning and see if there is a way to make an exception to simu-ring rule based on the incoming caller ID.
--

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

4 edits
Talked to PP support and they tried a few things to help me out. What is happening is that when I call my PP # using my cell apparently AT&T says hey this guy is essentially calling himself and instead of getting a call waiting beep on my cell AT&T dumps the call to my cell voice mail. Thanks Dave\Michael for all the help, I will submit a feature request to route calls based on incoming caller ID.

UPDATE - I was right! If I use m.google.com and use the mobile version of Google Voice I can use the quick call field to have GV call my cell to place an outbound call to my PP #. Since the incoming caller ID to my cell phone is different then the number I am calling I can ring my home with no worries.

UPDATE - PP got back to me today and sure enough after doing some testing I do have a call loop. When calling my PP # from my cell with simu-ring enabled, AT&T is sending the incoming call to my voice mail because I'm receiving a call from the same # I'm dialing. So for now I'll use GV as needed until PP can make a workaround assuming enough people have this issue. This is the first time I would be asking PP to fix something that is not broken!
--

pp_user

@comcast.net
reply to topgun
I am having the same problem when I simul ring to my cell phone (on Sprint).

I'm not by any stretch an expert with how forwarding is done, however if I had to take a wild guess it appears that this is a problem with Phone Power forwarding rules - they need an exception in their forwarding logic so that when you are trying to call your home number from one of your forwarded numbers it should not loop back.

Could someone from Phone Power chime in?

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
As stated before it is not PP fault.
When you are calling you PP phone from your cell, PP is taking that call and forwarding it your cell just as it has been instructed to do. However, since you are ringing your your PP number while simultaneously receiving an incoming call Sprint sends the call to voice-mail.

It is know different then if you were calling me and I were trying to call you, I would get your voice-mail. Remember you can't get a call-waiting beep until the first call is completed. Like I stated earlier PP would have to come out with a work-a-round to fix something that is not broken.
--

Bob Tele Man

@verizon.net
This is partially PPs problem because most companies have measures in place that break the loop back. If the call forwarding sees that one of the forward numbers is the same as the number that is initiating the call, it will prevent that one number from ringing, but allow the others on simultaneous to ring.