All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Borderlands (Almost sort of playable) -- Pretty much the exact same results as Monday Night Combat -- there's a deal of "rubber band lag" or "teleporting" and missed shots that come with most first-person shooters. Even moving around can be a hassle at times. However, if you absolutely must, it's considerably more do-able than say Team Fortress 2.
Doc Lithius

Doc Lithius

Two more to throw into the mix!

Killing Floor (Almost sort of playable) -- Pretty much the exact same results as Monday Night Combat; there's a deal of "rubber band lag" or teleporting and missed shots that come with first-person shooters. Even moving around can be a hassle at times.

City of Heroes (Perfectly playable!) -- Now, someone prior to this post reported that City of Heroes had a lot of connection issues. I would just to say that this is no longer true. The netcode works almost as well as World of Warcraft, even when you're lagging to high-Heaven. There is a little rubber-band lag, but that usually comes from moving too fast or trying to climb up on top of things.

Also! I'm debating starting a satellite gaming wiki on Wikia. I think it would be a helpful and useful one-stop shop for people like us who are stuck with Hughesnet (or WildBlue), but still want to get their game on. Kind of like this thread, but considerably more organized. Sound like a plan?
Lightwell
join:2010-10-21
US

1 edit

Lightwell

I'm a whore for wikis, ill help contribute.

Also, i think im going to resub to CoH tonight, yay.

Edit: Has anyone played Rift yet? The main reason i ask is because their coding allows them to have a hundred or so mobs on screen at once with no lag, so im wondering how the game might mesh with us. I might just buy it this weekend since i havent been able to get a trial key.

Oroshi
@direcway.com

Oroshi to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Ok, i've been trying to play wow for a week now idk y but it's horrible right now i don't live 2 rurally but i can only get hughesnet or aircards which are 2 LIMITED so any help that would like help the game run better and also is City of Heroes any good cuz i've been trying 2 get that for years.?
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Not to beat a dead horse but did you look into millinicom. They have a 20 GB per month plan off the verizon towers for $60 a month and a 50 GB a month plan off the sprint towers for $70 a month with no contract on either. As far as WOW go's you can try switching to a less crowded server but in reality it works for some and not for others depending on how crowded the beam you are on is. I wish you luck.