spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BeauSaus

@verizon.net

SBG6580 and Verizon

I'm trying to use the sbg6580 with Verizon and cant get it to connect to the internet. Called verizon and since it's not on their approved list of modems to troubleshoot they wont even try to help. Called motorola and they told me basically I'm SOL since it's not approved by verizon and the only option I have is to take it back.

Has anyone been able to to connect to the internet, that is using Verizon? Is there some settings I need to change to make this work?

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

verizon is DSL not cable which is why the SBG6850 will not work it's a cable modem.

Expand your moderator at work

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to BeauSaus

Re: SBG6580 and Verizon

Beau, I'm so sorry. I accidentually deleted your post due to fat fingers.

Here is what BeauSaus said:

Verizon FIOS is cable. I do not have dsl service at my house.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to BeauSaus

You can't connect a cable modem to FIOS.

FIOS provides you with an Actiontec router. FIOS uses MOCA between the ONT and the Actiontec, which is a completely different technology than cable modems use.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

Just as an aside, it is possible to set up a FiOS Actiontec router to work as a conventional router that will function when connected to any cable or DSL modem. I have done it with a Rev. C and a Rev. D, so it should work on any revision. Not the simplest thing to do, but it can be done.

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BeauSaus

For DSL provider, it use as a phone line to DSL.

For Cable Provider, it use as a TV cable to Cable Modem (DOCSIS 1.x to 3.0).

For Fiber Optics Provider, it use as a Fiber (multi color light inside fiber lines) to ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to MoCA Router and TV or HD Box. It will not work with DOCSIS.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by sniperboyz:

For Fiber Optics Provider, it use as a Fiber (multi color light inside fiber lines) to ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to MoCA Router and TV or HD Box.

What are you talking about?

A DSL modem can not be used with FIOS.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.