spc
Search similar:

uniqs

zoho
@rr.com

zoho

Anon

[HN9000] Resetting Modem To Factory Defaults

After a major power outage at my house I had a problem with the hn9000 modem flashing the system light and not connecting. Since that time I have tried powering down and bringing the system back up but that did not work either. I also can no longer connect to the modem at 192.168.0.1 so my question is how can the system be rebooted and put back to the factory defaults?

Skyway
Skyway
join:2003-02-04
Mission, BC

Skyway

you can try to login at:

systemcontrolcenter.com

or

If you reset the modem (you need to log in to to reset it) you will need an installer to get it going again...

After a major power outage, the modem could have received a power surge...could be toast...
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

said by Skyway:

you can try to login at:

systemcontrolcenter.com

or

If you reset the modem (you need to log in to to reset it) you will need an installer to get it going again...

After a major power outage, the modem could have received a power surge...could be toast...

That would be my guess. Or if it was a lightning storm it could be the dish but that shouldn't cause you to not be able to log into the modem so my guess would have to be the modem and its cord. Unless you have insurance to cover a replacement I would obtain a complete power cord for the modem first and try that because I have heard of the built in surge protector in those cords getting fried and the modem would still power up but would'nt work properly once it did. Of course this is assuming you can't get the modem to working first.

zoho
@rr.com

zoho

Anon

Guess that it is a great idea that I already have them sending a tech out with new equiptment. Of course I will try the IP address mentioned just to see if the modem will respond but based on the fact that the system light is turning on and off at a semi steady pace I am guessing that the modem is toast.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to zoho

to zoho
See pg31 in your HN9000 user guide. That flashing System LED means the modem is "In boot or commissioning phase". Power it down at the wall plug, then power it back up. Give it some time to reconnect with the NOC, then give the NOC a little time to see that a firmware update is required. If nothing happens within 5 minutes, the modem is hung up.

To fix this, go to Start>Run on your computer. Type in telnet(space)192.168.0.1(space)1953 and hit Enter. This should give you another prompt. Type RD, then hit Enter. This will force a firmware reset. Again, it takes some time to get the request over the satellite and be acknowledged by the NOC. When you see the TX and RX lights start to blink rapidly, you're getting a new copy of the current firmware. Hopefully the modem will restart itself with done. If not, do it yourself. But be sure that the download's finished before you force a restart.

//greg//
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee

i don't think a telnet and RD command is a good plan here.

if the system light is flashing as indicated, the modem is not running on it's usual operational software. as indicated by Skyway, you should be able to get into the modem at 169.254.0.1

then you'll need to "resubmit terminal install parameters". and allow it to go through its entire process. this should take approx 5-8 minutes. the modem will reboot when finished, and should come online.

as a warning, if you RD the modem, there's a really good chance you will need to pay for a service call from an installer to get it back online.

vsattek
@verizon.net

vsattek

Anon

you may need to set static to get into the above mentioned ip to see whats going on. ip adress-169.254.10.10, subnet- 255.255.0.0, gateway-169.254.0.1
sfzombie13
join:2011-02-28

sfzombie13 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
i'm not sure, but have been told that you can't telnet into a 9000 modem. i've been trying it for a bit now, nad even the tech support i talked to said they can't do it. if you succeed with this, let me know. i'd like to try it myself.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

You may be right, I've never actually performed the task on a 9000. The procedure I outlined above does has been used on the 7000 for quite a while. It was my line of thinking that they both belong to the HN series (as opposed to the DW series or the HX series). As such, I just sorta assumed the telnet capability was inherent to both.

//greg//

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by grohgreg:

It was my line of thinking that they both belong to the HN series (as opposed to the DW series or the HX series). As such, I just sorta assumed the telnet capability was inherent to both.

//greg//

I don't know if you can telnet into the 9000 or not, but I don't think the DW/HN part has anything to do with it - that demarcation was somewhat artificial due to company name change. Telnet with password (port 23) exists in the DW4020, DW6000, DW7000 and HN7000. Telnet without password exists (port 1953) in the DW6000, DW7000, and HN7000.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat

Premium Member

I have never been able to log into the 9000. The port 23 telnet brings up the login screen but i have no clue what the correct login is. The port 1953 does not work at all.

»[HN9000] What's the HN9000's telnet password?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to dbirdman

to dbirdman

said by dbirdman:I don't think the DW/HN part has anything to do with it - that demarcation was somewhat artificial

As you wish. But I've talked with plenty of folks who've successfully run RD or RF (via telnet) on their HX series. So it clearly holds true for that "demarcation". Admittedly my earlier response was based upon assumption. But the fact that folks have demonstrably telnet'd into both the DW and the HX series - plus the HN7000S - still suggests there's a way to do it on the HN9000.

//greg//

ruff
@comcast.net

ruff

Anon

from my experience the modem is fried when u can not access system control center get the modem replaced
Expand your moderator at work
sfzombie13
join:2011-02-28

sfzombie13

Re: [HN9000] Resetting Modem To Factory Defaults

i just tried this at a friend's house on a 9000 modem and it didn't work. was it all lowercase? i'm sure there is one, it really would be nice to know for troubleshooting problems.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat

Premium Member

That is not the login for a 9000. it only is correct for the 6000 and 7000 series. Maybe 4000's never tried one of those.