Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

[Bill] Rental Modems Fee - $10.00

Just got a nice letter from Comcast with the new fees. Turns out suddenly they have elected to change the modem rental fees to $10.00.

Now is the time to BUY a modem (thank god I already have).

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state

If this is true...wow...

COMMAN
Plug Me In

join:2000-07-17
Mount Juliet, TN
reply to OldschoolDSL

As Achmed would say..."HOLY CRAP!!"

That's outrageous. Makes you wonder if Comcast wants to get away from renting modems. As often as the technology changes I could see the justification why, but I assumed they bought them cheap enough that if they could rent them for 12 months they would be into profit territory. Maybe it is too much capital tied up for the low rate of return; whatever the case, I'm not paying $10 / month for a modem. If they start charging for my SMC gateway, I'll just buy my own plain jane modem.
--
Broadcasting TO the people, FOR the people, BY the people - INTERNET RADIO!

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

got a similar notice in Aprils bill ugh we just went up to $7 now its $10.... and cable cards went from $1.50 to $6.50! ugh... also cable boxes are going up from $7.50 to $12.75 almost as much as a DVR....

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1

The odd thing is that the cost of electronics devices usually tends to go down over time, not up. And definitely not up by the percentages we are seeing here.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to OldschoolDSL

yuck. glad i bought mine from the start also.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to OldschoolDSL

Really? I haven't gotten one yet... :x

Liaa

@comcast.net
reply to OldschoolDSL

my march bill show going up from 5 to $7 for chsi rental fee not 10.00 are you on a business acct or something.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

1 recommendation

reply to OldschoolDSL

Ouch,

3 things to think about.

IP V6 conversion which is coming.

DOCSIS 3.0 technology, with 8 bonded down and 4 up.

eMTA's(If you have digital voice) are more expensive and require install by Comcast for atleast another $50.00.
--
- Bill

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
reply to neufuse

I our fee's dont go up that high, my mom will have a stroke. Thats BS. They do that to us I will be filing complaints with my congressman.
--
Mr. Donut

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to OldschoolDSL

If you want the company to buy new equipment, this is what happens.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by beachintech:

If you want the company to buy new equipment, this is what happens.

Comcast buys new modems and depreciates them over a three-year lifespan.

$10 per month x 12 months per year x 3 years = $360 for a new modem?

Comcast must be renting some pretty fancy modems if the modems cost Comcast $360!

Zizoo

join:2010-05-12
PA

Please can you scan and attach the letter? I would be shocked if this is true.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Zizoo:

In my region, Comcast last month raised the modem rental fee by 40% to $7 per month. (a 40% increase that I have not seen in retail cable modem prices, so it is probably pure profit for Comcast.) I am not in the same region as the OP who posted the $10 per month fee.

Even at $7 per month, with a 3-year depreciation....

$7 per month x 12 months x 3 years = $252.

Still a pretty expensive modem, especially considering the volume discounts that Comcast must receive on the modems.

Zizoo

join:2010-05-12
PA

said by camper:

said by Zizoo:

In my region, Comcast last month raised the modem rental fee by 40% to $7 per month. (a 40% increase that I have not seen in retail cable modem prices, so it is probably pure profit for Comcast.) I am not in the same region as the OP who posted the $10 per month fee.

Even at $7 per month, with a 3-year depreciation....

$7 per month x 12 months x 3 years = $252.

Still a pretty expensive modem, especially considering the volume discounts that Comcast must receive on the modems.

The only things I have to say about this is... Renting is always more expensive then Buying. Just another option for people who don't want the be responsible for the equipment or who cannot afford the up front cost.

Kewliuke

join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE
reply to OldschoolDSL

Click for full size
I tried using their online ordering to get the Blast promo, but they want to charge me $12 a month to lease a modem. No thanks! I'm currently on the Performance plan, which I'm only being charged $5 a month for the modem. I think I'll hold out and wait to see if I get a letter notifying me of an increase.

castsucks

@sbcglobal.net
reply to COMMAN

But they make it hard to buy a Emat and I head even when you buy one they what $25-$50+ for a tech install as well.

castsucks

@sbcglobal.net
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

got a similar notice in Aprils bill ugh we just went up to $7 now its $10.... and cable cards went from $1.50 to $6.50! ugh... also cable boxes are going up from $7.50 to $12.75 almost as much as a DVR....

Time for Directv Free HD with auto bill pay

flat $7 DRV free box 1 free (any one) and then $6 per box for any box can have 3 DRV and only pay $12 + $7 in rent. add flat $3 for MRV can have more then HDDVR in Directv MRV. Vs comcast $20+ for the main box and then $7.95-$8.95+ for each box on other tv's

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to OldschoolDSL

Another reason I own mine

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Zizoo

said by Zizoo:

Renting is always more expensive then Buying. Just another option for people who don't want the be responsible for the equipment or who cannot afford the up front cost.

I agree. However, there is a point where the "rental premium" becomes "price gouging".

I'd proffer that the ability to rent out a modem and pay back the costs within 6 months is more than the reasonable rental premium. Much more.

If the modem is depreciated over three years, then the rental fees should be at a level to cover the cost of the modem in 18 months or so. Not within five months, given the $10 rate Comcast charges.

As it looks, Comcast is taking advantage of those in the lower income levels who, as you say, cannot afford the upfront fee, and those who do not understand the technology well-enough to install their own modem, pulling in a lot of the elderly.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to OldschoolDSL

Wow.

After 5 months, you would have basically paid off a brand new SB5101 modem.

And if what another poster says is true about their blast promo being $12 per month, the time has come to BYOM.

And I thought my ISP was crazy for charging a $7 modem rental fee...
--
CableOne 10m/1m

BetterYet

@comcast.net
reply to Kewliuke

I just checked amazon and they have a motorola SB6120 (docsis 3) for $84. So, if you're going to be on comcast for a year, it's cheaper to buy your own.

If you switch providers every six months to get the promo deals, this might not be a great option, but docsis 3.0 wll be state of the art for cable broadband for the next 6 years at least. So, when you switch back to comcast you will still have your modem

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

said by BetterYet :

I just checked amazon and they have a motorola SB6120 (docsis 3) for $84. So, if you're going to be on comcast for a year, it's cheaper to buy your own.

If you switch providers every six months to get the promo deals, this might not be a great option, but docsis 3.0 wll be state of the art for cable broadband for the next 6 years at least. So, when you switch back to comcast you will still have your modem

The SB6120 is NOT a state-of-the-art D3 Modem. The modem is 4D/4U. To be state-of-the-art for 6 years, you need to have a 8D/4U modem (which should allow you to get full down speed if/when they go past Bonding only 4 down channels). Having a 4D/4U will lock you out from the top tiers when this occurs. There is a 8D/4U version of the SB6120 available (I forget the model number but I think it is the SB6140 [it might be SB6180]).

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to neufuse

Anyone can say "Glad I own my modem" however,

said by neufuse:

and cable cards went from $1.50 to $6.50! ugh... also cable boxes are going up from $7.50 to $12.75 almost as much as a DVR....

how is anyone going to avoid that?
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to Kewliuke

said by Kewliuke:

I tried using their online ordering to get the Blast promo, but they want to charge me $12 a month to lease a modem. No thanks! I'm currently on the Performance plan, which I'm only being charged $5 a month for the modem. I think I'll hold out and wait to see if I get a letter notifying me of an increase.

Wow and I thought my 10.00 fee would be crazy?!?

Thanks for posting the screen shot.
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.eu

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

Anyone can say "Glad I own my modem" however,

said by neufuse:

and cable cards went from $1.50 to $6.50! ugh... also cable boxes are going up from $7.50 to $12.75 almost as much as a DVR....

how is anyone going to avoid that?

Switch to Dish/direct TV.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BetterYet

said by BetterYet :

Yep. Just ordered it.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

reply to OldschoolDSL

Once again as previously mentioned, none of the modems on the Comcast "approved" devices list are shown to be IPv6 capable.

This is something that is coming right around the corner, so it might be worthwhile to sit back and wait a few months and let things hash themselves out.

I'm annoyed with the 40% rental increase on my two-year-old DPC3000 modem but I am going to wait a bit. I don't want to go out and spring for a new modem which will be "obsolete" in the very near future when IPv6 ready CPE devices are likely going to start coming out.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by jack b:

Once again as previously mentioned, none of the modems on the Comcast "approved" devices list are shown to be IPv6 capable.

That's not totally true. Just because that page doesn't show this detail, the manufacturer's spec sheet for the SB6120 (for example) states that it supports IPv6. So does the DPC3000.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

and the D3 SMC is also IPv6 capable
»www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=view···pid=1678