join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup

Re: [Bill] Rental Modems Fee - $10.00

That's really a crapshoot, as that doesn't count blu-ray players, game consoles, mobile devices, and the like. Tomato on a router counts EVERYTHING, and includes a lot of useful statistics, which I've used to manage available bandwidth during heavy use on the 6mbps connection.

Yerbouti
@comcast.net

1 edit

Yerbouti to OldschoolDSL

Anon

to OldschoolDSL
I'm in the Houston, TX area.

I got hit with the $7.00 fee for the first time during the March-April billing cycle and I've owned my own modem for the past 6 years.

No letter. No warning.

Called Comcast. Wrote them letters. Wrote them e-mail. Even received confirmation over the phone and via e-mail that Comcast had record of me owning my own modem.

So I've been going round and round with them over the past week to get this screw up corrected. Don't know how it even happened to begin with.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Yerbouti :

I got hit with the $7.00 fee for the first time during the March-April billing cycle and I've owned my own modem for the past 6 years.

No letter. No warning.

Called Comcast. Wrote them letters. Wrote them e-mail. Even received confirmation over the phone and via e-mail that Comcast had record of me owning my own modem.

So I've been going round and round with them over the past week to get this screw up corrected. Don't know how it even happened to begin with.

talk to

If you own your modem and can prove it, backing it up with any receipts or confirmation you talked to Comcast and had them confirm you own it, go here: »Comcast Direct and talk to ComcastSteve. He's solved problems for me in the past.

That should take care of things.

Good luck and hope that helps you.

OldschoolDSL
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

OldschoolDSL

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

said by Yerbouti :

No letter. No warning.

talk to

If you own your modem and can prove it, backing it up with any receipts or confirmation you talked to Comcast and had them confirm you own it, go here: »Comcast Direct and talk to ComcastSteve. He's solved problems for me in the past.

That should take care of things.

Good luck and hope that helps you.

I do not know about you, but I typically do not keep receipt for 6 years (as I suspect neither does the OP).

I've been down that path with Comcast... It's a pain in the a** and its uncalled for; for them to be billing you for something you OWN and having to prove it 1/2 a decade later.

edit: For that matter, I would also imagine the ink on such a receipt would have worn off. I have kept some receipts in the past myself, for warranties and even a few months to a year later... They're not so readable. Some stores use cheap ink, which decomposes after time.
zzthejimzz
join:2010-01-12
Shreveport, LA

zzthejimzz to OldschoolDSL

to OldschoolDSL
I don't know why you would even choose to rent a modem? Just go buy one and no fee to worry about.
tranle
join:2001-06-10
Mountain View, CA

tranle to OldschoolDSL

to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

I do not know about you, but I typically do not keep receipt for 6 years (as I suspect neither does the OP).

I've been down that path with Comcast... It's a pain in the a** and its uncalled for; for them to be billing you for something you OWN and having to prove it 1/2 a decade later.

edit: For that matter, I would also imagine the ink on such a receipt would have worn off. I have kept some receipts in the past myself, for warranties and even a few months to a year later... They're not so readable. Some stores use cheap ink, which decomposes after time.

If you take a picture of your modem with all the labels and mac address and send it to comcast, is that not good enough that it is not one of their modem ? I think that they have on file all the mac address of their modem.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to OldschoolDSL

Premium Member

to OldschoolDSL
Try making a photocopy/scanned, of the reciept and other purchase documents (composited together, exactly like you might do for claiming a rebate) ASAP after purchase.
certainly keeping one or two sheets of paper. or a small file for the life of the device is not difficult (probably a good idea for insurance purposes too)

Yerbouti
@comcast.net

Yerbouti to OldschoolDSL

Anon

to OldschoolDSL
As far as proof of ownership, I tend not to keep my receipts after the warranty expires, if even that. Certainly not for a relatively inexpensive electronic device I purchased 6 years ago.

But I do have the e-mail confirmation of Comcast acknowledging that I own my own modem.

The latest word I have from Comcast is that the fee will be removed and my account will be credited.

I'm still miffed that it even happened in the first place. No fee on the bill whatsoever for six years - from Time Warner or from Comcast when they took over Houston - then suddenly this month they start charging. I would have thought there would have been at least a rudimentary filter to check for some marker in a database search somewhere as to whether or not a customer owned his/her own equipment before charging the fee.

Unless someone got lazy.

Or, someone figured that it may take a few billing cycles for a customer to catch the fee and bother to dispute it with Comcast and in the meantime Comcast could bump up its revenue while the dispute was working its way through the resolution process. I guess I'm attempting to use the 'rebate analogy' here, where many people don't bother with the rebate paperwork or trouble with the rebate process and continue to pay full price.

I know, it's only $7.00, but it still irks me when this kind of carelessness happens.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Yerbouti :

I know, it's only $7.00, but it still irks me when this kind of carelessness happens.

$7 for one subscriber for one month; $84 a year for one subscriber. Times that by every subscriber they did that to and it will bring in millions. My guess is with bills being so complicated many will not notice.
WH4K
join:2010-08-12
Albuquerque, NM

WH4K

Comcast has no leg to stand on demanding to see a receipt. They should be able to look at the HFC MAC address and serial number of my modem - or any customer-owned modem - and see that it isn't a Comcast modem.

OldschoolDSL
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

OldschoolDSL

Premium Member

said by WH4K:

Comcast has no leg to stand on demanding to see a receipt. They should be able to look at the HFC MAC address and serial number of my modem - or any customer-owned modem - and see that it isn't a Comcast modem.

Do some searching and you will find that sometimes, "some how" your modem can end up on their list.

It happen to me before.

Called up Comcast because I was getting billed for my own modem. Kept getting asked to confirm the mac address and serial number. Every time they would confirm that the modem was mine, the fee would be removed, then place back on...

This was repeated a few times and then one time I called up, gave them my mac & serial and the guy on the other end stated that it was on their list of leased modems.

Yerbouti
@comcast.net

Yerbouti

Anon

I will definitely retain my e-mails from Comcast that indicate that their own records reflect me owning my own modem AND that they would amend my bill and credit my account.

I've kept reminding them all along in this process that I tend to locate to areas where there's more than one broadband player in the neighborhood.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've got other issues with this company (service and billing) when I tried out their high-speed/internet2go service.

»Any Experience With Comcast 4g?

My terrestrial cable internet service billing issues started as soon as I terminated the internet2go service and tried to resolve a number of billing issues with that service. Maybe someone felt they weren't getting their revenue per subscriber target met with me

Good thing they keep pdf files of their customers' bill available. I plan on checking and verifying that my next bill matches my bills without the modem fee or internet2go services. I wonder if there will be mysterious taxes/fees/surcharges that add up to what the modem fee was.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

1 recommendation

somms to OldschoolDSL

to OldschoolDSL
Click for full size
tqv5n5.pdf
66,873 bytes
BBB complaint
said by OldschoolDSL:

said by WH4K:

Do some searching and you will find that sometimes, "some how" your modem can end up on their list.

It happen to me before.

Called up Comcast because I was getting billed for my own modem. Kept getting asked to confirm the mac address and serial number. Every time they would confirm that the modem was mine, the fee would be removed, then place back on...

This was repeated a few times and then one time I called up, gave them my mac & serial and the guy on the other end stated that it was on their list of leased modems.

FWIW: BBB complaint a couple years back completely solved my problems w/Comcast trying to charge me for modem rentals!

Yerbouti
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Yerbouti

Anon

BBB and others will be getting notice if Comcast screws up again.