Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« How long
page: 1 · 2 · next

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

If it doesn't go through then what?

Tmob merges with Sprint or bought by Google?

I suspect DT will get out of the US market if they can't get a controlling interest.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

They have a controlling interest in T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile USA is profitable the last time I checked. Why would DT want to get out of the US market? If they were so eager to get out of the market then why did AT&T have to bid so high for T-Mobile USA?

The one that confuses me is why Vodaphone sticks around. They have no control at all over Verizon Wireless and Verizon has repeatedly expressed a desire to buy them out. I would see Verizon buying them out before I'd see them going after Sprint, regardless of whether or not the T-Mobile/AT&T deal goes through.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to xenophon

said by xenophon:

Tmob merges with Sprint or bought by Google?

I suspect DT will get out of the US market if they can't get a controlling interest.

Google will not get into the telecom business.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

xenophon

reply to Crookshanks

Right, I was aware of DT having controlled interest of Tmob but if they merge with Sprint, analysts are saying the Feds likely wouldn't allow DT to have controlling interest of Sprint for various reasons.

If the ATT deal doesn't go through, DT might dump off Tmob to either Sprint or possibly Google and get out of US market. Tmob likely won't be going it alone at this point.

xenophon

reply to Alcohol

I don't know if it's true (I'd lean probably not) but there were rumblings on Wall St that Google did make an offer for Tmob and ATT offered much more.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to Crookshanks

If DT really wants to get out of the USA market and this deal bombs out, I would like to see Vodafone dumping its share in Verizon and nabbing up T-Mobile. I think Vodafone would be more likely to stick around and create a market/bring some of the european practices within the US.
thas my 2 cents.
--
Chirag's Website

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI
reply to xenophon

Doubt anybody would want to touch the big, hot mess that is Sprint/Nextel. Right now they have such a huge debt load that anybody who buys them would be stuck with a network that is extremely aged, lots of long-term contracts they can't get out of (goverment, etc), one of the largest telecom lawsuit resolution cases in US history (800 Mhz rebanding for public safety radios), and a shrinking customer base. Sprint/Nextel still runs two competing networks and has no plans to merge or migrate either network.

xenophon

On the latter two parts.. Sprint is not shrinking anymore and they do now have a specific plan to get off iDen , which will execute starting later this year.

As far as the debt, yeah, who would want that. It's $14B. That's why it's likely Sprint would otherwise acquire/'merge' with Tmob, and no one acquiring Sprint.

StBrandon

@charter.com
reply to xenophon

Why is Google always mentioned when it comes to buying a carrier? Google has no interest in running anything. You have a better chance of someone like MS, Apple, or even Netflix becoming a WISP.

xenophon

If it's true that Google made an offer for Tmob before ATT outbid them, that would be why.

xenophon

reply to xenophon

BTW, Sprint is hiring the CFO from Qwest, who specializes in mergers. He was specifically hired by Qwest to handle the merger. Sprint is getting him as soon as the Qwest/Centurylink deal closes.

Sounds like Sprint is seriously looking to make some kind of move for real this time.

annonymiss

@comcast.net
reply to quetwo

Uh, just to show how much you don't know, Sprint gained customers last quarter.

Most everything else you said is equally wrong.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to StBrandon

said by StBrandon :

You have a better chance of someone like MS, Apple.

I keep hearing the Apple thing too. I answer by saying Apple did not get where they are by being stupid. Right now they are selling their products in gigantic numbers, in March they sold 2.6 million iPad 2's making billions of dollars why should they saddle themselves with a ball and chain that T-Mobile would be. It is like the 1849 gold rush in California. It wasn't the gold prospectors that made the money it was the people who supplied the gold prospectors with shovels, gold pans, and Levi's that raked it in. Apple supplies the devices, Makes the moola, stays out of all of the bad blood flowing between the customers and wireless providers. Apple knows what side of this game their bread is buttered on.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to cchhat01

T-Mobile seems to bring some European practices to the US. They are the only carrier that makes it easy for you to sign up without a contract. They are considerably cheaper than the other three and don't lock down their phones or cripple any of the features contained within them.

For the life of me I can't figure out why DT would feel a compelling need to exit the US market. Are they hard up for cash or something? T-Mobile USA would seem to be a cash cow and it's got nowhere to go but up.

Vodaphone would be a logical choice though if DT really does want to exit the market. Verizon wants full ownership of VZW (or should I say the cellco partnership?) badly enough that I bet they'd pay handsomely for it. That money could then be used to buy T-Mobile USA. Seems like a win-win for everybody and a much better option than allowing AT&T to assimilate the last remaining budget priced national carrier.

But what do I know....

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL
reply to Transmaster

As bad as Google screwed up the whole "after the sale" customer support with my Nexus 1, I'd just as soon they stay out of the wireless market. Not that I needed it, but I read enough horror stories about the average Joe not getting any kind of help from them.

xenophon

If Google were to buy any company that requires customer service, they should just do it as a holding company (that can influence google services) and not directly operate it. They are not customer service oriented company at all.

With the Google Gb Net thing in KC.. they apparently plan to let ISPs ride on top of it and let them handle the customer service. TWC used to do this, offering RoadRunner, AOL and I think Earthlink.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

The one that confuses me is why Vodaphone sticks around. They have no control at all over Verizon Wireless and Verizon has repeatedly expressed a desire to buy them out.

Easy they just have to sit back and have Verizon deposit checks in their bank. I would not mind owning 49% of Verizon and just cash checks wile they do all of the work.

StBrandon

@charter.com
reply to xenophon

IF. Big IF there. I guess you believe they actually wanted that spectrum they inflated the price of as well? Sorry dude, Google doesn't care to run anything where they have responsibility to provide any kind of support.

StBrandon

@charter.com
reply to Transmaster

I doubt Apple would do it as well. It was just an example of a rich company that came to mind.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to xenophon

Sprint has had plans for YEARS now (5) to get rid of iDEN only to end up keeping it around. The fact is Sprint is in no hurry in getting rid of anything and the only thing going around by many many people (including quotes that are miss quoted- on purpose) is rumors. Sprint has never said anything about pulling out of Clear- which many claim; especially on here. Sprint has NEVER said anything about going to LTE- which again- claims again which are from "sources that are ALWAYS wrong at Sprint. Sprint is in no hurry to do anything and is only making the move to small base stations to save $$$$ when powering them. They also can move much of the operations back to a data center instead of having active equipment in the field doing all the work.

When Sprint moves away from iDEN Hell will freeze.

sparc

join:2006-05-06
reply to Crookshanks

T-mobile USA has five years of declining profits and recent subscriber losses. DT faces an uphill battle in turning around the company.

Then add in the costs of funding an LTE upgrade which probably hits the tens of billions and the value isn't there anymore running T-mobile USA.

DT paid a fortune for Voicestream. The article i read indicated they wouldn't be making a whole lot at AT&T's price. They basically get out with their shirts and can reinvest the money in their european operations.

The only other company we know of that was interested in T-mobile USA is Sprint and they couldn't offer as much as AT&T.

Our prospects as T-mobile USA customers without an AT&T merger aren't that bright. We are screwed either way but may gain better coverage with AT&T and possible grandfathering of old plans. Nextel customers are leaving Sprint in droves so it's not like we'll get treated a whole lot better merging with them.

The hating on AT&T is completely fair, but i think overall most consumers underestimate how bad things could get if T-mobile USA isn't picked up by a financially stable company.

sparc

join:2006-05-06
reply to Alcohol

totally agree on google never being interested in this big of of an infrastructure buy.

Google does everything solely to protect search and advertising business. Even the Kansas City fiber buildout is expected to be a next generation test bed to protect their search and advertising. Plus they get some good PR out of it with the public. Anything to get people to look away from their near monopoly on search traffic.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to Crookshanks

DT wants to stay, but doesn't want to invest any money into the market. They want to use the earnings from TMO USA to pay off DT debts. It looks they wanted to sell for cash, plus get 8% equity in ATT for continued income to pay off debts without having to worry about further expenses for building out a network.

Of course, if the deal doesn't go through they get valuable AWS spectrum, and $3bil in cash which could definitely help pay for network improvements to increase competitiveness. So either way DT wins.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

NObama
Premium
join:2005-11-09
Nashua, NH
reply to hottboiinnc

You are uninformed. Sprint is in the process of rebuilding their entire network. The decommissioning of iDEN will start as each market nears or completes the upgrade. The work has started, so it looks like hell will be getting colder soon.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

said by NObama:

You are uninformed. Sprint is in the process of rebuilding their entire network.

Good for them. On a clear day if I climb a tree I can see the Empire State Building but there is no Sprint 3G let alone 4G coverage available. Even if they buy Clearwire there still won't be mobile broadband coverage.

Don't worry the FCC is demanding they be permitted to leech off Verizon's network; four bars in my house.

InternetDude

@spcsdns.net
reply to xenophon

Please Google buy Tmo and Sprint.

NObama
Premium
join:2005-11-09
Nashua, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to batterup

Not every carrier covers the same area. So, if Sprint doesn't work for you, get another service. 4G is currently provided by Clearwire, which is not run by Sprint, though Sprint owns more than 50% of it. If you are paying for Sprint service, it is probably because they are a cheaper option to AT&T and VZW. One reason Sprint is cheaper, is due to their smaller footprint. You want better service, then pay for it. Simple.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

said by NObama:

One reason Sprint is cheaper, is due to their smaller footprint. You want better service, then pay for it. Simple.

I do. My comment was in response to "Sprint is in the process of rebuilding their entire network".

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
reply to NObama

Right.

ISP1

@multacom.com

1 edit
reply to batterup

Clear's implementation of 4G (WiMax) is mostly a ground wave. It can work poorly if your high up in an office building or too close to a tower.