All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dotnet_nerd
join:2011-04-07

dotnet_nerd to smooth_cm

to smooth_cm

Re: Youmano

I just had a look at Youmano. They were very pleasant to deal with. Couldn't find my address in their system so they promised to call me back.

Remy replied promptly and was very courteous and helpful.

I want to sign with them, I have a good vibe about these folks. Unfortunately in my part of Stoney Creek I would be in the Band F dry-loop zone ($15.20 charge).

I can live with the charge but does anyone know how good or how crappy my service would be in Band F? thx
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by dotnet_nerd:

I just had a look at Youmano. They were very pleasant to deal with. Couldn't find my address in their system so they promised to call me back.

Remy replied promptly and was very courteous and helpful.

I want to sign with them, I have a good vibe about these folks. Unfortunately in my part of Stoney Creek I would be in the Band F dry-loop zone ($15.20 charge).

I can live with the charge but does anyone know how good or how crappy my service would be in Band F? thx

The band rate doesn't reflect how far you are from the CO, it reflects how popular the city was when they made the band rates. Someone posted about a year ago that they were in Band F in Toronto or somewhere.
BobCat67
join:2002-04-30
Havelock, ON

BobCat67

also band rate are now based on how many phone numbers are for a certain area the smaller and or populated therefor how many phone numbers are available determine the band rate if lots are avail they can assign a dead number to the dry loop since all dry loops need a number to link to the network it just wont let you call out on that line or recv calls band F G etc all have less #'s available in their area so higher charge to assign what;s left where as bands A and B lots are avail so less cost
dotnet_nerd
join:2011-04-07

dotnet_nerd

Update:

I signed with Youmano and couldn't be happier. I received my modem promptly by UPS, they arranged for the dryloop installer and I was up and running quickly.

They phoned me a few days later to make sure everything was working ok.

Even being semi-rural I'm getting great speeds, about 510KB/s consistently.

Thumbs up for these guys, I highly recommend them.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to BobCat67

to BobCat67
said by BobCat67:

also band rate are now based on how many phone numbers are for a certain area the smaller and or populated therefor how many phone numbers are available determine the band rate if lots are avail they can assign a dead number to the dry loop since all dry loops need a number to link to the network it just wont let you call out on that line or recv calls band F G etc all have less #'s available in their area so higher charge to assign what;s left where as bands A and B lots are avail so less cost

Phone numbers are assigned to telephone companies in blocks of 10,000. A village of 500 with it's own exchange is assigned the same size block as a small town with 5000 residents.

The rate band you are in is determined not by the number of telephone numbers available, but by the subscriber density of the exchange. This is based on the idea that it costs Bell more to maintain the physical plant in a low density exchange, so the cost per circuit is higher.