spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pilgrim2

join:2002-02-26
Swanzey, NH

[modem/router] What's this button on the Westell 7500 modem?

Just curious about the button located on the left front (modem laying flat w/ ports on the back) of a Westell 7500?

The symbol on the button looks like "Recycle". IF that is the case, does it function the same as using the power rocker switch on the back, e.g., when you want to power off/on the modem?

TIA
--
Fairpoint DSL (7 mbps/740 kbps) - Westell 7500 - Vista Ultimate - AMD 64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz - Asus M2N-E - 4 gigs 6400 DDR2 Mushkin RAM - ATI Radeon 4670

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by Pilgrim2:

Just curious about the button located on the left front (modem laying flat w/ ports on the back) of a Westell 7500?. The symbol on the button looks like "Recycle"

It's the wifi protected setup button
wifi protected setup has a symbol/logo

Pilgrim2

Swanzey, NH

Okay thanks for the reply. Sooooo, I am assuming that it has nothing to do with my DSL connection? Are you saying that this particular modem serves double-duty; DSL and Wifi service? And if that is correct, to power recycle the modem I should continue to use either the modem's online setting interface or use the power button... yes?
--
Fairpoint DSL (7 mbps/740 kbps) - Westell 7500 - Vista Ultimate - AMD 64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz - Asus M2N-E - 4 gigs 6400 DDR2 Mushkin RAM - ATI Radeon 4670

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Pilgrim2:

Okay thanks for the reply. Sooooo, I am assuming that it has nothing to do with my DSL connection?

Pressing the wifi protected setup button will not have any effect on the dsl connection
said by Pilgrim2:

Are you saying that this particular modem serves double-duty; DSL and Wifi service?

The westell 7500 dsl modem is also a 802.11b/g access point a four port ethernet switch and it can be configured to be a ethernet router
said by Pilgrim2:

to power recycle the modem I should continue to use either the modem's online setting interface or use the power button... yes?

Yes the modem can be power recycle by using the on/off button
or using the restart button found on the westell configuration pages

reboot, restart and power recycle all refer to turning the modem off then turning it back on

Pilgrim2

Swanzey, NH

Yep..... got it! Thanks.

I have used the Westell 7500 as a 'switch' when I used it in connection with my Linksys router. It worked okay, but performance (speeds) took a small hit, so I went back to using just the Westell.

Thanks again for answering my questions.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Pilgrim2:

I have used the Westell 7500 as a 'switch' when I used it in connection with my Linksys router. It worked okay, but performance (speeds) took a small hit, so I went back to using just the Westell

The westell switch ports are 10/100 there should be no speed reduction unless the linksys has 10/100/1000 ports