All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

airtouch25
join:2007-05-22
united state

airtouch25

This is an acquisition not a merger of sorts...

If the deal is not approved what then? DT doesn't want to do business here anymore.

Would it be worse for T-Mobile customers to just sit in limbo while DT plans their next move? You can be assured that through all the confusion DT would stop network buildouts, customer service would collapse and employees of the company would be bolting to other industries.

Let's be clear. I can't stand AT&T anymore than anyone else on this board but it was DT (T-Mobile) that sold out. A company should not be forced to operate a business just because grass roots organizations want the buyout blocked.

I'd rather see the acquistion go through but with some major concessions from the buyer. Nobody will trust T-Mobile anymore otherwise.
Prissy8
join:2011-04-07
Marietta, GA

Prissy8

They could find a buyer that hasn't screwed me over repeatedly
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

if there were tons of buyers lining up for T-mobile USA, then DT would be all over it. Instead all they got was Sprint for a competing offer and that's a heavily damaged company that couldn't step up with a higher offer.

Unfortunately AT&T is the only bidder that gains a lot from the merger due to cost savings. It's peanuts for AT&T, but a huge nightmare for every other possible bidder.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to airtouch25

to airtouch25
said by airtouch25:

If the deal is not approved what then? DT doesn't want to do business here anymore.

Would it be worse for T-Mobile customers to just sit in limbo while DT plans their next move? You can be assured that through all the confusion DT would stop network buildouts, customer service would collapse and employees of the company would be bolting to other industries.

Let's be clear. I can't stand AT&T anymore than anyone else on this board but it was DT (T-Mobile) that sold out. A company should not be forced to operate a business just because grass roots organizations want the buyout blocked.

I'd rather see the acquistion go through but with some major concessions from the buyer. Nobody will trust T-Mobile anymore otherwise.

Your speculation is flawed to think that AT&T is the best solution if Tmobile closes up shop (within a year). Metro PCS and Clearwire are decent alternatives to at least 75% of tmobile customer base. The footprint overlaps with a greater % than that. There is also the possibilty that cable companies might do a mega deal to become a national wireless carrier. AT&T is not a white-knight savior the PR spin weaves it to be. AT&T is willing to spend $39 billion on towers and gear so that they dont' have to spend $239 billion on towers and gear. A nice $200 billion in savings (or there abouts) if the deal doesn't go through. Gear companies and tower companies don't like dealing with AT&T.. so they can afford to gouge them due to their record for being CHEAP on network buildouts & upgrades so they suffer from high price syndrome.. buy less, pay more.

** Now $200 billion wouldn't be so bad if wireless wasn't their only business... they have the entire 35% of the wireline (telco market share... 25% if you include cable companies) business as well. Same deal here too.. stingy on upgrades and suffer the consequences of that in higher build costs. DSL tecnology will get more expensive as fuel prices go higher then they'll wish they bought more FTTP equipment earlier as it will be the same as the dsl stuff as energy costs skyrocket the rest of the year. Now you know why AT&T and Apple were a good fit... choose one size fits all and stick with it, regardless if customers dislike the direction of the business plan.

BTW, there is a growing probability that the merger won't go through. At least, regulators aren't keen on stirring the political pot so at best it's *ON HOLD* until the budget issue gets past a logjam. How long will TMobile wait?

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to airtouch25

Premium Member

to airtouch25
said by airtouch25:

DT gets valuable AWS spectrum, plus $3bil in cash if the deal doesn't go through. DT has never said they wanted out of the market. They just don't want to put any more money into it. TMO is low on spectrum. They're still making money though. And with more spectrum, they could increase deployments, and pay for it using ATT's cash. That's certainly an attractive option for a company like DT.