how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ste1700

join:2003-01-01
Ontario, CA

Fios Outage in Ontario, California

Is anyone else in Southern California having problems getting on the internet tonight?

I am getting speeds of .016/7.0mb. These speeds are killing me as all I can do is basically type this message and run speed tests. The TV and phone service is running okay. Except the menu icon takes awhile to come up.

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA
all's normal here in Murrieta..
had similar problems a few weeks ago..

ste1700

Ontario, CA
reply to ste1700
I just don't get it. I ran another test on the fios website and it now is .019/9.2mbps. RedCaliSS, How did you correct the problem?

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Baldwin, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ste1700
The thread topic states you have there's an outage in your area; however your posts relates to speed reduction. Which is it?

If it's speed reduction, have you tried rebooting your equipment, starting with your Verizon-issued router?
--
You fire a guy, you create a rival. You fire a woman, you create a housewife.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ste1700
said by ste1700:

Is anyone else in Southern California having problems getting on the internet tonight?

I am getting speeds of .016/7.0mb. These speeds are killing me as all I can do is basically type this message and run speed tests. The TV and phone service is running okay. Except the menu icon takes awhile to come up.

No serious dip in either of my FIOS connections and I am also in Ontario, CA. Try resetting your ONT?

»fios1.houkouonchi.jp/mrtg/
--
Two 35/35 FIOS connections bonded to 70/70

ste1700

Ontario, CA
I am unsure how to reset the ONT. I have reset the Router to defaults and rebooted the Set top box.

Hounkounchi: Do you know where I can find instructions on resetting the ONT.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
pretty sure there are instructions in the FAQ somewhere but basically the BBU (battery backup unit) which is porbably inside (if its like my install). You just gotta unplug it from the outlet and take out the battery so it loses power. Rather than 'reset' its really more of a 'powercycle' of the ONT. Its been known to fix issues in the past.

Link to the FAQ:

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I reboot the ONT?

--

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ste1700
Also Ontario might have two CO's as its pretty big. What area do you live in? Its possible there is an area-wide outage but its not affecting me. I live right near the 60 freeway/Euclid exit.
--

ste1700

Ontario, CA
Yeah I live close to The 60 and Mountain Ave.

I called Verizon. They think it might be the router and will be sending me another one. After I hang up I thought maybe about re-flashing the firmware. However, My Router, Westell 9100EM, wont let me flash. The internet version is lower than the installed firmware.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
How quick of shipping do they use? If you have a laptop I would try releaseing the lease on the westell and seeing if the problem exists while hooked up directly with the laptop.

If its gonna be a while for them to ship you a new (since its friday) one you could borrow my actiontec since I don't really use it. You are all of about 1 mile away from me =P

Edit: On second thought if you are like most people you probably are coax to the ONT (not ethernet) so maybe you cant do the laptop test? without having them switch you to ethernet...

--

ste1700

Ontario, CA
lol, I appreciate the offer. However, I think we could manage without the internet for awhile. The Tech said the new one will come by Tuesday. That's not so bad. If I really need the net, I could just use my phone, as I am doing now.

Yeah I am connected via coax. I saw the Ethernet port though and thought maybe I could mess around with that and just connect my simple wireless linksys router to it. But if that doesn't work then I will be fine until Tuesday. Besides I am working the next four days anyway.

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA
reply to ste1700
I bet it's the router. I have had 3 die in several years (I was one of the first installs in N. Ontario.) 2 of the 3 times, my internet slowed to 56k speeds (or less). I just did a speed test and I'm getting 43/32, so it's definitely not an outage.

ste1700

Ontario, CA
I do not understand what happen. Today I took a nap around 4 and two hours later checked the internet and it was back to normal. I could not tell you what happen. Well at least I will be getting an updated router in a few days.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am happy to hear that no one else was affected.