uniqs
Kewliuke
join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE

Kewliuke to OldschoolDSL

to OldschoolDSL

Re: [Bill] Rental Modems Fee - $10.00

Click for full size
I tried using their online ordering to get the Blast promo, but they want to charge me $12 a month to lease a modem. No thanks! I'm currently on the Performance plan, which I'm only being charged $5 a month for the modem. I think I'll hold out and wait to see if I get a letter notifying me of an increase.

BetterYet
@comcast.net

BetterYet

Anon

I just checked amazon and they have a motorola SB6120 (docsis 3) for $84. So, if you're going to be on comcast for a year, it's cheaper to buy your own.

If you switch providers every six months to get the promo deals, this might not be a great option, but docsis 3.0 wll be state of the art for cable broadband for the next 6 years at least. So, when you switch back to comcast you will still have your modem

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by BetterYet :

I just checked amazon and they have a motorola SB6120 (docsis 3) for $84. So, if you're going to be on comcast for a year, it's cheaper to buy your own.

If you switch providers every six months to get the promo deals, this might not be a great option, but docsis 3.0 wll be state of the art for cable broadband for the next 6 years at least. So, when you switch back to comcast you will still have your modem

The SB6120 is NOT a state-of-the-art D3 Modem. The modem is 4D/4U. To be state-of-the-art for 6 years, you need to have a 8D/4U modem (which should allow you to get full down speed if/when they go past Bonding only 4 down channels). Having a 4D/4U will lock you out from the top tiers when this occurs. There is a 8D/4U version of the SB6120 available (I forget the model number but I think it is the SB6140 [it might be SB6180]).

OldschoolDSL
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

OldschoolDSL to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
said by Kewliuke:

I tried using their online ordering to get the Blast promo, but they want to charge me $12 a month to lease a modem. No thanks! I'm currently on the Performance plan, which I'm only being charged $5 a month for the modem. I think I'll hold out and wait to see if I get a letter notifying me of an increase.

Wow and I thought my 10.00 fee would be crazy?!?

Thanks for posting the screen shot.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to BetterYet

Premium Member

to BetterYet
said by BetterYet :

Yep. Just ordered it.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to RARPSL

to RARPSL
Currently there aren't any 8D/4U modems available anywhere, as far as I've seen. The SB6121 is just a different enclosure (maybe slightly different guts) for the SB6120, which I just bought.

Also, Comcast would have to be pushing 50-75Mbps for their standard tier in order to make an 8D/4U modem needed. The way they're upgrading things now, that will be 6-10 years away. So I'm not worrying about the obsolescence of my 4D/4U modem too much.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by iansltx:

Currently there aren't any 8D/4U modems available anywhere, as far as I've seen. The SB6121 is just a different enclosure (maybe slightly different guts) for the SB6120, which I just bought.

That is interesting. For a VoIP SBV6220 replacement Modem there is the SBV6240 »www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 40_US-EN while the non-ViOP SB6120 replacement is the SB6180 »www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 80_US-EN . Both of these are 8D/4U. All of the latest non-Motorola modems are also 8D/4U - The old models are 4D/4U.

If by "available" you mean via the direct-to-consumer outlets like Amazon, I might agree with you (I have not checked) but they are being made and are available (possibly only to the Cable Companies right now).
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

I define "available" as "I can buy it."

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

I define "available" as "I can buy it."

You can buy the Motorola SBG6580 through retail and its 8D/4U.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

I see.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

FWIW readers should be advised that the Moto SBG6580 is a combo modem/router/wireless gateway device if that is what one wants but it can also be configured to be a stand alone type layer 2 bridge modem.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Good to know...$130 for a modem though...

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

Good to know...$130 for a modem though...

You are paying for this combination of devices. It's not just a "modem". That was my point. IMO these combo devices are always a quality compromise compared to separate dedicated units. Let alone that there are other benefits to having individual units which has been posted many times here. A forum search would show these postings.
iansltx
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx

...which is why I took the price as of a standalone modem. Combo devices scare me

I have had a separate modem and router since I've had broadband internet service with anyone, so you're preaching to the choir on advantages of modem + router versus a combo.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

... so you're preaching to the choir on advantages of modem + router versus a combo.

Well alrighty then ! May it benefit all readers here !

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

and then he said let there not be combos used, and all was good

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

and then he said let there not be combos used, and all was good

Its good as customer owned equipment, not as a system owned CPE.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

well a combo AP/Router/Switch sure (almost everyone uses that combo) not that I support it (I'd like for AP's and routers to not be combos)
but a Modem/Router/AP/Switch is to far

the big issue is a component that has customer adjustable

settings that can only get a firemware update via the provider
ie user needs to set ssid, nat, ect but if theres a bug it can't be firmware upgraded by the client (ya this feeds to my hate of the SMC but I'm stuck with using an SMC)