spc
uniqs

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to jandrfas

to jandrfas

Re: New Sprint 4G user - mediocre to poor speeds

I'm with xray on that... while it might be technically possible (with some custom firmware on the linksys)... is suspect it would be work. A wifi adapter might kill 2 birds (just get one with the little stand you are after included ).

I am not much of a fan of wifi on stationary computers. I try to ethernet everything but my phones and laptops.

Check your baseboards, many have gaps at the bottom through which you can stuff and tuck an ethernet cable where it can't be seen. Many times I've seen people do this to avoid drilling or dropping cable through the walls. If the total distance (including weird dips around doors etc) is very far consider having someone just make you the ethernet cable... as pre-built ones get pretty expensive once you hit the 100foot mark, plus a custom built one will be the thinner in-wall cable and might fit better in the baseboard gap.
jandrfas
join:2007-08-23
Downey, CA

jandrfas

Success!

I decided to bite the bullet and try the dd-wrt upgrade. Figured I had nothing to lose. If it worked I saved myself the expense of a USB wifi device, plus perhaps some frustration (my experience with those is that they aren't particularly stable). If I bricked the router I figured no big loss - I didn't have a use for it anyway. The upgrade was actually fairly easy. The dd-wrt instructions are a bit intimidating at first, but if you spend an hour doing your homework and downloading the right files for your router it isn't bad at all. Now I have a very stable wireless connection to the main router and everybody is happy!

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by jandrfas:

Success!

You took the work route, but it sounds like you enjoyed it. Enjoy your speeds and think of us stuck on evdo while you stream that netflix

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman to jandrfas

to jandrfas
said by jandrfas:

Success!
If I bricked the router I figured no big loss - I didn't have a use for it anyway. The upgrade was actually fairly easy.

Great that it worked for you. I have been very impressed with the versatility of the dd-wrt firmware. I have flashed several brands of routers with may versions of dd-wrt and never have lost a router. Just follow the instructions!
xrayman

xrayman to dib22

to dib22
said by dib22:

said by jandrfas:

Success!

think of us stuck on evdo while you stream that netflix

You can't get Sprint 4G or Clear in Kansas City?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by xrayman:

You can't get Sprint 4G or Clear in Kansas City?

In the city, sure, but I'm on the road in the Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma rural areas... no coverage...