how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

breaksix

join:2011-04-10

Wifi for 70 unit apartment building

Greetings,
I have a client who wants to provide free wifi for their 70 tenants of an apartment building. The building is 3 floors, with a pool in the middle open to the air (Melrose Place style).

Hardware-wise, what is the best way to go about this? I was thinking a router and some type of antenna? Would an engenius EOC2611 provide enough power to all the units? The interior of the courtyard is 100' x 30' ...the entire building is 150' x 75'.

This my first time working with wifi of this magnitude.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
said by breaksix:

Would an engenius EOC2611 provide enough power to all the units?

RF power? Possible, depends on building construction materials.

But 70 users will likely surpass the "hidden-node" limit.

breaksix

Hidden node?

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to breaksix

breaksix

reply to WHT
Is there a theoretical limit of users for a situation like this? 20? 30? 50 users? Is there a way around this?

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to breaksix
Another method is to use multiple AP's inside your pool area covering opposite walls. It's hard to visualize via text, but here is my best shot.

Interior walls of the complex, witch would be the exterior walls of the poor area. Now lets say you have a North,South, East, West walls. Mounted on the North wall, you would face your radio to the south wall, Mounted East-Facing West Etc.. I have seen this done in some well known hotel chains with interior pool/meeting areas. But I have not done it myself. My thought is that it would work fairly well, provided you only had 1 apartment deep walls in your building structure.

You could also supplement a system such as this from the outside of the building if they had a good size parking lot that surrounds the complex as well.

Just a couple ideas there. But if this is your first multiple dwelling complex you "may" want to get someone else to do it, or find a good consultant. Wireless isn't as easy as most think. Large scale isn't any easier, and proves very difficult for non RF-trained people. (no offense)
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to breaksix
said by breaksix:

Is there a theoretical limit of users for a situation like this? 20? 30? 50 users? Is there a way around this?

Typically an 802.11b/g AP choke at around 30 to 35 users becasue of hidden-node. You'll need to add more APs.

If you are not acquainted with hidden-node, you might be biting off more than you can chew.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to breaksix
You will need a bandwidth controller also. Otherwise one virus infected computer, or somebody downloading a bunch of music will consume your entire internet capacity and nobody else will have service.
--
I spent most of my money on Women and Beer, and the rest I just wasted !

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to breaksix
said by breaksix:

The building is 3 floors, with a pool in the middle open to the air (Melrose Place style).

Since the OP mentioned a particular style of structure, here is what that looks like:

»maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=···862&z=20

This is the actual filming location....
--
Panem et Circenses

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
reply to breaksix
There are CO's that sell controllers that will allow you to use multiple AP's on the same channel. Your options are to use something like this, OR, try and use multiple AP's in a single small location. The last choice is not an easy one, as your AP's will walk all over each other if you use more than 3.

Even using only three will cause issues, as all of the surrounding neighbors will undoubtedly be using wi-fi in their homes. Their home AP's will all bleed over into your area causing you to reach for the Rolaids rather quickly.
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
said by superdog:

There are CO's that sell controllers that will allow you to use multiple AP's on the same channel.

That would be Aruba..... Without proper understanding of this type of deployment I would steer away from it.

Can the OP perhaps use a VDSL deployment? Install a DSLAM at the head end phone room area and wire into the rooms using the existing prem cabling? This eliminates the use of WLAN for delivery of service, and all one needs to do is sell a DSL modem to the tenant like the phone company does, and done! Instant internets that are interference free.

--
"No job is so important, and no service is so urgent that we cannot take the time to perform our work safely."
-- AT&T, Your World, Destroyed.
--Safety One Tower Rescue Certified
--LLigetfa:"Wimax is like teenage sex. Everyone talks about doing it."

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ
reply to breaksix
Cisco, BlueSocket, and other MFGs have controller-based APs that would be perfect for this. you will definitely want a fat pipe for 50+ home users and a router for QoS. you'd also want some form of AUP for the residents to sign absolving you/client from responsibility due to viruses, lost productivity if wireless/internet goes down, and troubleshooting connection/wireless/computer issues (unless he wants to contract you out for continual support or fee-based support).

a commercial controller setup allows you to install a few APs around the complex and have them automatically adjust channels based on proximity to each other and outside interference as well as manage and restrict users from a centralized location. You dont want non-residents connecting so this would allow you/client to actively restrict users besides basic encryption. i know the current bluesocket APs support ~50 users per AP and can broadcast both 5ghz N and 2.4 G/N for maximum compatibility and the fastest speeds simultaneously.

IMO just setting up a few $30 linksys APs or a single AP with a few extended antennas is not the best method since you could potentially have 70 x 2 or 3 active devices. a couple could have 2 BBs/iphones/androids on top of their 1-2 laptops. throw in a wireless printer and the multitude of random other shit...hell alarm clocks have wifi these days... and you could quickly saturate an AP or even the entire network.

and let me tell you...wireless networking is not something you want to constantly troubleshoot!

4 APs could probably cover the entire building and cause very little continual maintenance issues if using a controller-based solution. even having a single point of reference for diagnostics is worth the extra money IMO.

breaksix

Somna, please check your PM's.

Thanks for all the advice.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to breaksix
This would be a very easy setup.
I would use > than 10 wrt54gs, ddwrt, chillispot, and a separate cheap PC or server to run everything.
You can use WDS so all of your APs appear to be one seamless network.
You can create an apt splash page that a user must re-agree to every 24 hours.
You could give usernames/passwords if you really wanted to, but not necessary.

Since this is free you should:
Limit the bandwidth any single user can use.
Then block torrents/file sharing.
Monitor the network and if needed block video games network play, any music services, or anything else someone is doing bogging down the free network.

There are a ton of tutorials online on how to easily do this.
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
said by r81984:

This would be a very easy setup.

*Dr Evil places finger to mouth* "Riiiiiiiiight."

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
said by jim_p_price7: