Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

[Bit Rate]Sound is getting worse.

I noticed today listening to the radio (XM 20 on 20) today and noticed that the sound has become awfully tinny and compressed. The higher end sounds sound all muffled and base has disappeared. This is NOT an audio issue with my stereo, as the iPod sounds great. I was wondering if they are screwing around with bit rates again. FYI: I am in Canada, and unsure when this merger is going through, but maybe they're making rooms for each other.

But in all seriousness, why should I pay full price for this crap? (although I am paying $24 every three months currently) This isn't even close to 'near CD quality', let alone even remotely close to 'near FM quality'. They quality is more like 'cheap youtube upload quality'.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

AQ must be really bad now days. I canceled all four of my radios three years ago mainly due to poor audio quality with frequent signal dropouts (outdoors and unobstructed) being a close second. Talk and sports may be okay but the quality slid down into terrible territory on the music channels. Even playing through an el-cheapo DeWalt radio, the distortion was very noticeable. Listening in the vehicle or through decent home audio equipment was nearly painful at times.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Zach1:

Even playing through an el-cheapo DeWalt radio, the distortion was very noticeable. Listening in the vehicle or through decent home audio equipment was nearly painful at times.

Exactly....what it sounded like today was when you have CNN or FoxNews interviewing someone over in Libya on satellite phone and the sound quality is horrible, that is what it sounded like today. It was at 48Kbps (did a lot of googling to find that out) but it must have dropped to 32Kbps or something.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

wirphotos

join:2002-07-22
Green Bay, WI
reply to J E F F

XM told me on the phone yesterday that nothing is wrong with XM radio. They aren't turning off transmitters and they are not cutting the quality down.

Oh yeah and they have 20 Million customer and are growing. lol

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

and that idiot Stern think it's all because of him.
fyi: i have 2 XM radios + streaming and i don't subscribe to Best of Sirius on any of it. i don't have the ability to listen to the idiot and i didn't get my first XM radio back in 2005 because of him.
--
"Linux is only free if your time has no value" - Jamie Zawinski

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to J E F F

I agree the audio is bad! This is def the last year I am keeping them. I connected my ipod and was amazed at the difference of the audio. Even my Cassette tape sounded better.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to J E F F

Yeah I've noticed the crappy over compressed sound as well. Amazing my iphone can pull better quality audio over a crowded cell tower using Slacker or Pandora radio. I'm paid up for the year, but most likely not renewing in December when my time is up.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

Same thing here. Even the free slacker and pandora sounds much better.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
reply to J E F F

I've noticed that I've been using the EQ settings much more often on my car radio now when listening to certain XM stations, because of the tinniness.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Got worse this week, must have been something to do with the channel change. It's not just the tinniness, but sound has gone downhill significantly. I also noticed that a lot of the channels are no longer broadcasting in 'stereo'. I thought there was something wrong with my system then I realized that it was XM itself. (not that 'talk' shows like CNN or MLB matter)
--

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to J E F F

I'll have to throw in with a "me too" here. They are definitely doing something, the quality on certain channels is all over the place.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. XM

zencyl

join:2009-07-24
Huntsville, TX
reply to J E F F

i have also noticed a decline in the audio quality but its mainly on the talk channels. The music channels i listen to sound great, though that may just be because of how bad the talk stations sound.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

I suggest this if in car, go to another audio source right away, listen to a CD or even tape and you will notice it.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to J E F F

Is this sound quality issue only on XM? I have Sirius, and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I've had Sirius since shortly after it first went live. At one point a few years ago I noticed the quality dropped on some of the talk stations, but have never noticed a quality drop on any of the music stations.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by scots:

Is this sound quality issue only on XM? I have Sirius, and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I've had Sirius since shortly after it first went live. At one point a few years ago I noticed the quality dropped on some of the talk stations, but have never noticed a quality drop on any of the music stations.

You know, I have no idea. They do use different compression methods. I used to have Sirius and never had issues, and never had issues when I first got XM, it's only been recently that I started noticing the tinny sound of compressed music. Although some people may not notice it at all, still, it's not nearly close to CD quality.
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to scots

I have Sirius and I think the sound quality is not that great.

Pandora streaming off of some podunk cell phone tower sounds better. Amazingly better actually. I can't believe it.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

I agree, Slacker and Pandora sounds better and I am using the same mini jack that I plug my Sirius Radio into.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Yeah I'm surprised that cell phone towers load up with phone calls, Internet data, mms and SMS, 2-way, have the bandwidth to deliver CUSTOM ON DEMAND high quality radio stations to a small iPhone or android device. Theres something to be said for the lack of bandwidth on satellite, which only provides linear channels.

Switched networks are obviously vastly more efficient than broadcast networks.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

I'd put up with the 5-10 second gaps between songs vs stupid inane DJs.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to J E F F

Ooh another thing, pandora and slacker don't constantly skip or cut out when I'm driving in a wooded area.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by cypherstream:

Ooh another thing, pandora and slacker don't constantly skip or cut out when I'm driving in a wooded area.

Data plan? How many GB's do you use?

Oddly enough, I stream BBC Radio 1 - which is 48, and it sounds better than XM/Sirius, so we must be well below that now.
--

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to J E F F

For me I am grandfathered into unlimited as is my wife's phone. Yup I haven't heard a skip ever on Pandora or Slacker, can't say the same for Sirius XM

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to J E F F

I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited iPhone plan.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by cypherstream:

I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited iPhone plan.

Nice....on Bell (Canada) wireless, they had an $8 Sirius plan, requiring a $10 unlimited data plan (mobile) -- had it when I was up north for a month, sound was horrible, I think they were streaming at 12 or so.
--