All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nazra7
join:2011-04-10

nazra7

Boise Cableone congestion

I live in Kuna, ID actually but have been getting terrible drops in my service sometimes it even drops completely. I have made many calls to service and get the same response (nodes oversold please keep nagging us!) By terrible internet I dont mean 3 megs down(halfspeed), I mean 1.5 down with packet loss and a ping of over 300 to boise.
My hope is that since Qwest is worse that soon enough of us will bitch about it and they will make changes. I feel like Im in the stoneage over here while the rest of the country enjoys 40megs down!!!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Check out this earlier thread: » high ping in peak hours

Also, post your stats and let's see if we can't fix this problem on our own; go to »192.168.100.1/ and post your SNR, upstream power, etc. all back here.

If the stats are within range, your problem is probably capacity related like the previous threads. C1 just upgraded the backhaul in Sioux City after many, many users complained of slow speeds, but from what I understand they're working around the clock to upgrade all of their networks to prep up for Docsis 3.
nazra7

nazra7

Downstream Value
Frequency 729000000 Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio 37.5 dB

Power Level -2.1 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 33300000 Hz
Power 37.2 dBmV

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Your stats look fine.

Probably is just another capacity problem. You're signed up for 3 meg or higher, right?
nazra7

nazra7

Yea 5m

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Maybe Jab will chime in and let us know when upgrades start in your area.

Jab
@cableone.net

Jab

Anon

Last I herd they are working in Boise, Nampa, and Caldwell areas. It would be reasonable to assume that Kuna would be one of the next steps.
bastage
join:2011-02-14
Kuna, ID

bastage to nazra7

to nazra7
Should be Titled West Valley Cable One Congestion since they are separate from Boise..

I however am also in Kuna & yea its been pretty shitty as of late. Between the service experience & the recently announced caps w/ overage on there 50mb plan i am really hoping qwest does what they need to drop there 40mb out here.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

C1 internet users in Boise as well have been reporting slow speeds and high pings.

Since Kuna has a small population (6,600) compared to Boise (205,000), I'd say it may be safe to assume that Kuna is connected to Boise's headend center. I know that's how it works where I live anyway. My city is pretty small (11,600) but my headend is located in one of the nearby larger populated areas.

If what Jab says is correct, perhaps most C1 customers in Kuna will eventually have a good working internet connection soon.
bastage
join:2011-02-14
Kuna, ID

bastage

said by Pashune:

I'd say it may be safe to assume that Kuna is connected to Boise's headend center.

That is incorrect. CableOne Boise does boise eagle & meridian. West Valley Cable One Covers Caldwell Nampa & Kuna..
rx7speed
join:2004-06-10
Caldwell, ID

rx7speed to nazra7

to nazra7
it seems damn slow on my end as well. I have 10/1 and get on average 1.3-5 down yet get full 1+ on the up.
sad thing is it is getting worse. used to hit more to the 5 end now I'm getting more and more in the 1.3-3 range and now even hitting 3 is getting harder.
jratliff92
join:2011-07-25

jratliff92 to nazra7

to nazra7
Cable One is oversold. They are taking in more internet subscribers than their infrastructure can handle. Therefore, it is beyond it's capacity. They are not putting money into upgrading their network infrastructure to handle the boom in technology; not to mention growth in average file sizes.

I would just go to Qwest fiber DSL to prove the point. They will either start doing what customers need them to do, or they will end up being replaced by a bigger company, such as Time Warner or Comcast.

And this new "50 Mb" service is only going to be hell for the lower packages.

devehf
join:2003-07-31
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

devehf

I am moving into an area of Boise that Qwest only offers 3Mb service (mayb 7Mb according to one customer service rep but not the website). I was considering signing up with CableOne instead. But from the sounds on this thread, that is a lost cause. Perhaps I should just suffer with the slow Qwest speed and pray that they put in a fat pipe closer to my house some day.

wfae
@96.18.234.x

wfae

Anon

Same headend, but local node is likely separate.

Since it's ok here in SW Boise, I suspect a local node issue isolated to that area of 1,000-3,000 houses.

idahodude
@207.225.36.x

idahodude

Anon

A couple of months ago at the Extended Stay hotel on Vista, there was a fleet of ComCast service trucks in the parking lot. It was right around when they rolled out "50mbps" service, which is a joke as its nearly impossible to hit 50 on cable (Speedtesting multiple servers multiple times a day only reached around 24).

devehf
join:2003-07-31
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

devehf to nazra7

to nazra7
Got installed today. Having a DNS problem so still using old ISP.

Re. Kuna. The technician said that Kuna, Merridian, west Ada were actually a separate business unit. Avery sparse customer base and therefore any damage to major lines was a huge budget issue. I suspect that any Kuna damage to the network may not be a top priority to fix.
nazra7

nazra7

Just got my DOCSIS 3.0 and its not too shabby!.. still high pings and it reaches 30megs+ rarely but its still way better then the 5 meg down i used to have. Cost me 53.00 a month with the rental option.

Downside is anything over 50gigs a month is 0.50$ a gig :/

Download Speed: 50323 kbps (6290.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1515 kbps (189.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

(must be a good night used the cableone speedtest)