how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Speedometer On Dodge Caravan Not Working, Why??

This is a question for my neighbor who is seeking help. His speedometer on his 2002 Dodge Caravan minivan stopped working today for no reason whatsoever. Can you guys please tell me what can the likely causes be?

P.S. The RPM gauge also stopped working months ago, but the speedometer was fine, now it also stopped working.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

Failed solder points on the circuit board of the instrument panel could be one cause. My bro's Plymouth mini-van (don't remember the year) experienced intermittent instrument panel due to minute cracks in the solder.
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Is the needle just dead down on the peg, stuck somewhere on the gauge, or is it underneath the peg?

There should be a diag mode for Mopar clusters of that era, hold down the trip button then turn the key on (that's how it usually is, anyway).

Here you go:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sD--eo1ERs

I've seen quite a few clusters with the needles on the wrong side of the peg, 99% of the time it just takes a run through diag mode to fix it.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada

said by pmohr:

Is the needle just dead down on the peg, stuck somewhere on the gauge, or is it underneath the peg?

Hi there, both needles are stuck UNDER the peg, just went to check after reading your post, that's weird, it means that the needles raced forward until they got stuck under the peg. We also tried the diagnostic check in your YouTube video but nothing happened. I noticed that in the video you clearly see the words "check" in the digital odometer, that never happened in this van, did we do it wrong? You push and hold down the odometer button while turning the key until the panel lights lit up right? and then let go of the button? The video is dark and we can't tell how long the guy holds down the button.

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Hi there, both needles are stuck UNDER the peg, just went to check after reading your post, that's weird, it means that the pegs literally raced forward until they got stuck under the peg. We also tried the diagnostic check in your YouTube video but nothing happened. I noticed that in the video you clearly see the words "check" in the digital odometer, that never happened in this van, did we do it wrong? You push and hold down the odometer while turning the key until the panel lights lit up right? and then let go of the button? The video is dark and we can't tell how long the guy holds down the button.

Did it go through with a gauge test? If not, you didn't enter diag mode (all the bulbs will proof out normally when the key is turned to run, that doesn't signify anything).

If the needles are under the pegs, the diag mode should 'fix' it.

From what I'm reading, hold down the trip/reset button, turn the key on, and wait until the display shows 'code', then release.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOS6XmPo···=related

Xstar_Lumini

Canada

said by pmohr:

From what I'm reading, hold down the trip/reset button, turn the key on, and wait until the display shows 'code', then release.

We just went and tried it with the key in the "off" position and it worked perfectly, thanks man, it's done in the "off" position. My neighbor also enthusiastically says thanks since an auto electrician at a nearby shop estimated a 3 to 4 hour job taking the panel apart @ $75 an hour for labor.

Thanks!!

clevis1

join:2011-05-10
Cambria, IL
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I see that you might have the problem solved so this is for all others.. If your speedometer is not working along with the other gauges and part of the odometer and the gears letters stay on after the van is off, then do the i.o.d. fuse first. The fuse should be marked on the lid of the fuse box. (under the hood by the battery box). Pull fuse wait a few minutes and put back. Try this first before anything. If your needle is stuck under the peg, do the reset by holding the reset odometer button while turning on the key. If these dont work a very common problem is the solder points on the back side of the red plug behind the instrument panel. These are all very easy tests and hopefully it will save someone some $$$!

Expand your moderator at work

Tappedout

@rr.com
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Re: Speedometer On Dodge Caravan Not Working, Why??

This thread is another example why you ALWAYS either ask at a Forum you are familiar with or do a Google search regarding problems before you take it to a shop whose business it is to find stuff wrong and charge you an outrageous amount to fix it.