share rss forum feed

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA

[help] Configure my Google Site so "www" prefix is not

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm setting up a personal web site, but I have no experience in this matter. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I purchased a domain name through Namecheap.com. I have successfully set up Google Apps on the domain so that people can e-mail me at username@mydomainname.com, and I can access it through Google's interface.

I have also created a simple blog/personal information page using Google Sites, and it is currently accessible at www.mydomainname.com. However, I find that sometimes the site will not load at all if the "www" prefix is not included. I want to ensure that people will be able to reach the site whether or nor they have included the "www" prefix.

Attached is a screenshot of how I have my domain set up with Namecheap. There is a redirect for @.mydomainname.com (the @ means blank) to go to www.mydomainname.com. Is this the "best" way of doing this? It's seems rather kludgy. I'm guessing that my website is sometimes inaccessible when Namecheaps redirect is not working for some reason - most of the time it works.

I have tried creating a CNAME for @.mydomain.com instead of a URL redirect, but Google doesn't allow me to create a web address mapping (see second screenshot) unless it includes a prefix.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MVS
Premium
join:2005-04-18

1 recommendation

Re: [help] Configure my Google Site so "www" prefix is

Yes, unless Google provides an IP for you to point your @ record to, that's the best way to set it up. If NameCheap's redirect isn't reliable, you could also try WWWizer: »www.wwwizer.com/

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA

1 edit
No, Google doesn't provide a direct IP, but WWWizer looks like it will work nicely. Thanks!

Update: In case anyone having the same question stumbles across this thread: WWWizer works perfectly.