uniqs
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Google Voice issues

This relates to using Google Voice in the original way, nothing to do with ObiOne or SipSorcery.

1) Regarding voicemail, the messages can be retrieved by phone. When doing so, even if you press [7] to tell the system to archive each message after it is played (and/or mark them as being read) the system continues to report these as "new" messages.

As far as I can tell, they will continue to be reported as "new" until the user goes onto the website and hard-deletes them.

2) I have also found that there is often a latency problem when cell phones are in the GV mix. Much about this can be found here:
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 2,00.asp

Comments?

Mitigations?

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

said by PX Eliezer704:

1) Regarding voicemail, the messages can be retrieved by phone. When doing so, even if you press [7] to tell the system to archive each message after it is played (and/or mark them as being read) the system continues to report these as "new" messages.

As far as I can tell, they will continue to be reported as "new" until the user goes onto the website and hard-deletes them.

If you go to the website and mark them as read -- or if you play them from the website (which will mark it as read) -- will it still play as a new message when accessing through the phone menu?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by josephf:

If you go to the website and mark them as read -- or if you play them from the website (which will mark it as read) -- will it still play as a new message when accessing through the phone menu?

No, it won't.

The website actions seem to be "real".

What you do using the phone menu is not real---it does not seem to count.

-----------------------------------------------------

Similar to "Ripples in the Dirac Sea" by Geoffrey A. Landis (1989) in which travelers to the past can do whatever they want with no ramifications---it all gets washed away.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
1) This has been reported in the google forums...

2) I think having a cellphone in the mix pushes the latency 'over the edge'... For me GVs latency is higher than providers like Vonage but lower then e.g. Ooma... But combining GV + another 350-400ms for cellphone and it reaches the 600+ms range - which makes a fluent, dynamic conversation difficult. I don't think it's any worse than a cellphone to cellphone call with different carriers... If you add a second cellphone (e.g. caller on cell -> GV -> forward to cell) you are most likely around 800+ ms and that really starts to get awful....
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Thanks for the info!

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to blohner

to blohner
said by blohner:

2) combining GV + another 350-400ms for cellphone and it reaches the 600+ms range - which makes a fluent, dynamic conversation difficult. I don't think it's any worse than a cellphone to cellphone call with different carriers... If you add a second cellphone (e.g. caller on cell -> GV -> forward to cell) you are most likely around 800+ ms and that really starts to get awful....

This matches my experience. Landline to landline, it's manageable.

However mobile to mobile, it's usually frustrating, although highly dependent on the caller. It's about at the point where you want to start each conversation with, "OK, just say Over when you are done talking!"
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
edit wrong thread
tom thomas
join:2010-11-04

tom thomas to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
i have noticed the same issue of lower call quality with cell phones than landlines.

personally i suspect it may have something to do with CODEC translations. this could also explain why gmail call tend to have excellent call quality to cell phones. gmail/gtalk supports the GSM CODEC which is the same used by cell phones. so no conversion necessary.

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by tom thomas:

personally i suspect it may have something to do with CODEC translations. this could also explain why gmail call tend to have excellent call quality to cell phones. gmail/gtalk supports the GSM CODEC which is the same used by cell phones. so no conversion necessary.

I know latency is really bad CDMA > GV > CDMA mobile although fidelity is pretty good.

It would be good to hear from more frequent users, whether they notice differences between CDMA > GV > GSM and GSM > GV > GSM.
tom thomas
join:2010-11-04

tom thomas

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by tom thomas:

I know latency is really bad CDMA > GV > CDMA mobile although fidelity is pretty good.

It would be good to hear from more frequent users, whether they notice differences between CDMA > GV > GSM and GSM > GV > GSM.

CDMA uses GSM audio CODECS, so no difference would be expected based on radio transmission technology. of course google(or the providers used by google) may have different peering arrangements with different carriers.

ArgMeMatey
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by tom thomas:

CDMA uses GSM audio CODECS

What do CDMA and GSM use currently?

Clearly it's been a long time since I knew much about vocoders. I remember LPC, CELP, IS-136 from the late 90s. At that time the CDMA vocoder seemed much better than TDMA. I think CDMA used LPC and TDMA used IS-136. But memory fades.