share rss forum feed

LD

@comcast.net

1 edit
reply to LD

Re: Comcast's Cisco DPC3000 issue login 192.168.100.1

so im pretty sure im paying for a docsis3.0 modem

im pretty sure im paying for a connection that needs docsis3.0 modem

and im pretty sure im not getting either..

i can get 30/7 on speedtest but the point is, the first 2weeks i got the ubee modem i had 4 Downstream channels, after the "huge power outtage" it only ran on one, and now with the cisco it only runs on one....

i found a link to all the cisco modems /LINKS.html except the page loads wrong and all the values and functions of the forms are wrong... i cant do anything to the modem and id like to upgrade firmware and at least check things on it

Removed MAC and serial number from pics. ~sorto'

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by LD :

i cant do anything to the modem and id like to upgrade firmware and at least check things on it

Comcast (and most cable HSI providers) frequently disable stats and log displays in modems attached to their network (leased and customer owned). It is also extremely rare for a cable modem to have the ability for the end-user to upgrade the firmware, and even if you did manage to do it, Comcast will just automatically put the firmware version that they wish back on your modem anyway. That is just the way it is, and perhaps you need to find an ISP that gives you full control of your CPE device (good luck with that).

I would love to be able to see the modem logs in my SMCD3G, or be able to have its firewall logs forwarded to my syslog daemon (a feature that SMC built into the router, but Comcast disabled). Not much chance of either of those things happening, and I don't have a choice of using another CPE with my business class account.

What can I tell you, sometimes life just sucks.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to LD

said by LD :

how can i log into a CISCO DPC3000 modem?????

The answer is...you can't.

I agree, it doesn't look like you are in a D3 system, which is odd if you had a modem running on bonded channels previously.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to LD

said by LD :

my question is, how do you log in?

you don't

How can i upgrade the firmware if i cant login and how can i edit settings if i can not login?

the customer doesn't upgrade the modem's firmware
there aren't any settings for you to change

i will aks once again a question in which peoples opinions arent the answer

how can i log into a CISCO DPC3000 modem?????

and again this is not something that you are allowed to do

on docsis the modem's firmware is upgraded ONLY by the ISP and you will never have access to do this (short of hacking which will get you banned) this is also part of why combo units should never be used

you said the issue started after a power outage
have you power cycled them modem again to see if its working again yet?
have you posted in the direct forum to ask for help?
the stats that are visable look good but maybe the power outage had a surge with it and maybe the modem's tuner is damaged and you should see about swaping it at the local comcast office

we can all try to help you but you're not going to be able to login to the modem as that just not something you get to do

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

I don't see what the "tuner" component has to do with the webserver component.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

it might not be able to lock onto the other channels anymore due to damage

just throwing it out there (regaruding him only getting one channel)

power outage could mean power surge which could have had some effect on the modem (though I'd put more weight on an amp somewhere being fried and its replacement not being tweaked properly yet)

I see the op as wanting to log into something he can't because he thinks he would somehow be able to get more channels locked (which he wouldn't be able to even if he could log in) and the real problem is he's not getting bonding

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

O/k but I thought that this thread subject was about accessing the U.I. ?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by EG:

ya he's never going to be able to do that but he might be able to get the bonding issue fixed

I tend to ignore what can't be fixed and focus on what can be

he's never going to be able to login to that part of the UI but it might be possible to get comcast to fix the bonding issue

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EG

said by EG:

I think that ran its course 30 posts ago.
--
Retired Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to EG

said by EG:

The OP wants to access the restricted portion of the UI because he has a problem with the modem which he thinks he can fix through some mystery config changes and/or a manual firmware update. The possibility that the modem may just be defective has apparently not occurred to him.
--
Mod Note to all: The OP in the original post stated:

please help, comcast recently changed their docsis3.0 system to run on ONE channel and pull info from OTHER channels... so its almost like fake docsis3.0

What the supervisor told me is, ofc theyre trying to save bandwidth instead of pay for more

Since the original post frames the topic, I agree, trying to help him with what is probably the actual problem, as stated by the OP, is on topic.

TIA,
sorto'

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Fair enough all. Carry on.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to LD

No modem really allows the user to do anything more than view various settings and signal levels. Some may have a hard reset ability, but it's little different than just doing a power cycle.

Firmware updates are only done by the ISP through the configuration file sent. If the configuration says a newer firmware is available, the modem will install it. You have no real control over it.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:61

1 recommendation

reply to LD

said by LD :

please help, comcast recently changed their docsis3.0 system to run on ONE channel and pull info from OTHER channels... so its almost like fake docsis3.0

What the supervisor told me is, ofc theyre trying to save bandwidth instead of pay for more

please help

Try checking your modem now, I bet it's bonded

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to LD

if they just "changed to docsis 3" they might be having issues, and turned the other carriers off to help fix it.....

or could be a bad modem.....seeing as one modem "burned up" feasible this one is as well
--
I'm better than you!

LD

@comcast.net

1 edit

i appreciate all the help

jsut so people understand

I went from a UBEE modem showing 4 channels bonded
toa UBEE modem showing 1 channel DS
to a Cisco modem showing 1 channel DS

it seems this "fake power outtage" is where they capped docsis3.0

my question now is... obviously since i cant go through my modems settings

IS this modem running docsis3.0? if not i can call and get my money back, i didnt rent a modem to run on docsis2.0 for a speed requiring docsis...

so once again for anyone whos reading it used to show 4 channels on old modem, then 1, then i got new modem still shows 1.....

Any advice while calling customer support? i dont like being mislead and lied to by big companies.........

the guy tried to explain to me this is a "NEW docsis 3.0" and this wasnt a guy on the phone it was the guy who came after the technician came, i guess the areas supervisor... either way, im not going to be mislead again

is there such thing as docs3.0 which doesnt run 4 channels bonded and then switches channels when bad internet?

my ds light is Orange/amber on the modem and rest are green.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

its likely just the plant being fixed after a surge from the power being restored

ether
1 the modem is messed up
or
2 the plant is messed up

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:61

1 recommendation

reply to LD

said by LD :

Any advice while calling customer support? i dont like being mislead and lied to by big companies.........

Can you double check your modem settings to see if anything has changed today? If you are still only seeing 1 channel then I would suggest posting in the Comcast Direct Forum:

»Comcast Direct

It's monitored by SteveTeow See Profile who is a Comcast employee that has helped many users in these forums.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to LD

said by LD :

i can get 30/7 on speedtest

2 questions:
Are these the plan speeds you're supposed to be getting?
Are you having any other performance issues?

If one DS channel gives you the subscribed speeds you pay for, then say goodnight.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

LD

@comcast.net

1 edit

i would definately say goodnight,
if i wasn't tricked into renting hardware that i would of purchased...
if i plug in a SB5120 and it outperforms a docsis3.0 modem on a d3.0 required connection... makes no sense... but the point is im not receiving what i pay for..

if they tell you your new mercedes goes 180 mph and it only will go 160, u got scammed... .same with lying about required equipment for required speeds

and now my DS amber light has went green.. and its workign on 4 channels... sooooooo

isnt amber supposed to mean it IS bonding? isntead of green?

Sorry for my long spammish threads... dslreports is always my last resort to what i cant fix

Again, removed identifying info from your screenshot. ~sorto'

beachintech
Premium

Everything is back to normal, along with the light colors.

LD

@comcast.net

1 edit

funny how the technicans supervisor knows less than the people on the phone...

beachintech
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by LD :

funny how the technicans supervisor knows less shit than the people on the phone...

Supervisor != expert tech. They manage people, not technicalities.
--
Retired Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by beachintech:

said by LD :

funny how the technicans supervisor knows less shit than the people on the phone...

Supervisor != expert tech. They manage people, not technicalities.

yep that superviser was there to get things quieted down (ie manage some people)