spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AR

join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON

1 edit

AR

Canadians aren't allowed to drive US plated vehicles?

Did you guys know of this Federal regulation? I'll be really interested in seeing this written down as a law someplace. Thanks.

edit: This is if a Canadian RESIDENT is driving a US car in Canada. Apparently, there's a Federal law being violated at that point of time.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I'm confused, are you saying all the times I rented a car in the US, I was driving illegally?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Think he meant in Canada.

I also find that highly doubtful.... "own and operate" possibly.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

I'm confused, are you saying all the times I rented a car in the US, I was driving illegally?

A Canadian cannot drive a US plated vehicle across the border without it being declared in import.

Found that out the hard way with a rental in Washington. I was able to swap it at the rental counter in Bellingham but it is a hassle.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to EUS

to EUS
In Canada.

Sorry, I amended my original post.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
Ok, topic makes more sense now.
EUS

EUS to AR

Premium Member

to AR
This makes sense, I guess you're at the stage where you're trying to get your car across the border.
Everything I've read about bringing a car across does mention the temporary U.S. plates are good up to the border, and it takes some good planning to get your car across without delay.
I did not know it due to a law, I was presuming it was just easier for insurance purposes.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to bt

to bt

I have a car to bring in here on Friday so obviously I get on the horn with CBSA and they tell me that Canadians are not allowed to drive US registered vehicles in the country.

I said what if it is my brother's vehicle. She says, that's why they don't care who owns it, if it is insured or not --- a Canadian RESIDENT cannot be driving a US vehicle. Even if you live half the year in FL or someplace --- if they deem you as a Canadian resident, they won't let you in.

She went a step further to say that a cop called them last week to confirm the residency of a car he had pulled over (in response to my question on who'll enforce this Federal law if someone brings it past through the border).

So remember people: the government is pretty thorough when it comes to making sure all taxes are paid.
AR

AR to EUS

to EUS
Well, the temp plates will be good in Canada too while I complete all the import formalities which terminate at me registering the US vehicle at MTO.

What I was hoping was that with claim of "deemed resident" status, they'd let me bypass importing. Heck, I'd even pay the $1500 duty to not have to pay $200 per month insurance here.

US insurance covers a car even in Canada on an indefinite purposes as they don't care where the car is as long as the policy is valid and registration is from a US state. Just like I can use my US credit cards up here (till the government tells me I can't do that either).
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to AR

Premium Member

to AR
said by AR:

I said what if it is my brother's vehicle. She says, that's why they don't care who owns it, if it is insured or not --- a Canadian RESIDENT cannot be driving a US vehicle. Even if you live half the year in FL or someplace --- if they deem you as a Canadian resident, they won't let you in.

Lemme get this straight: if a family member or friend who is from the US brings their car to visit me in Mississauga, I am prohibited from driving that car even if it's just to tour around or run errands? What utter horseshit!

AR

Toronto, ON

AR

Unless you convince the cop who just maybe might call up Canada Customs, yeah.

That's why i said: i wanna see this documented in the Customs Act or someplace. I'm gonna Google this.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta

Premium Member

I would be very interested in knowing exactly how the law reads, not what someone thinks it is.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to AR

Premium Member

to AR
said by AR:

Did you guys know of this Federal regulation? I'll be really interested in seeing this written down as a law someplace. Thanks.

edit: This is if a Canadian RESIDENT is driving a US car in Canada. Apparently, there's a Federal law being violated at that point of time.

If you are resident in a province, you need to change your plate over within a certain period of time (60-90 days I think).

»www.canadavisa.com/canad ··· 6.0.html

Tenar
join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON

Tenar

said by elwoodblues:

If you are resident in a province, you need to change your plate over within a certain period of time (60-90 days I think).

»www.canadavisa.com/canad ··· 6.0.html

yep.

I went through the import process a few years ago, when you import it you have to have faxed the VIN number to the US customs, visit them, then visit canadian customs to pay any tax.

Then you have several weeks to get the vehicle registered.

However, I never knew about the rule regarding just driving it in and not importing it. That is really strange. to OP: Do you plan to import it or just borrowing it? If you are just borrowing it - is it possible your family or friend can drive it across the border?

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to coxta

to coxta
The Provincial Act does indeed require a change of registration. But I'm sure one could demonstrate dual residence to a cop.

But these guys are saying Federal --- and I can't find a Federal statement to this effect.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to AR

Premium Member

to AR
I would be very interested in knowing exactly how the law reads, not what someone thinks it is.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to coxta

to coxta
The Provincial Act does indeed require a change of registration across provinces. But I'm sure one could demonstrate dual residence to a cop.

But these guys are saying Federal --- and I can't find a Federal statement to this effect.
AR

AR to Tenar

to Tenar
No, no...there's no "rule" about just driving it in and not importing it. On the contrary, CBSA, does NOT want that happening.

That's my hypothetical to them: what if the vehicle is registered in my brother's name, a CA resident who has lent me the vehicle for use indefinitely. Do I need to import it?

They say YES, import is required because a Canadian resident (me) isn't allowed to drive a US registered car on Canadian roads.

And I suppose once the vehicle is imported, MTO will want me to register it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by AR:

No, no...there's no "rule" about just driving it in and not importing it. On the contrary, CBSA, does NOT want that happening.

That's my hypothetical to them: what if the vehicle is registered in my brother's name, a CA resident who has lent me the vehicle for use indefinitely. Do I need to import it?

They say YES, import is required because a Canadian resident (me) isn't allowed to drive a US registered car on Canadian roads.

And I suppose once the vehicle is imported, MTO will want me to register it.

Yes, and pay taxes and registration and Canadian insurance. Give it up, guy. You've had a good run. Time to pay the piper.
DKS

DKS to AR

to AR
said by AR:

The Provincial Act does indeed require a change of registration across provinces. But I'm sure one could demonstrate dual residence to a cop.

Not really. You can't have two health care cards. You can't live 179.5 days in each province. You can't have two drivers licenses. In your desire to save a few dollars, you are committing multiple criminal acts.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to DKS

to DKS
I'm MORE than happy to pay 19.1% on the vehicle AND 10% CA tax....PLEASE no Ontario insurance!!!

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to DKS

to DKS
There are different laws governing dual citizens in Canada, especially Canuck/US. You can indeed have two licenses in Ontario( hta S.35). You can indeed have two healthcare cards(special circumstances between provinces), or US and Canuck.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to AR

Premium Member

to AR
19% Duty? On a used car? WTF happened to "free trade"?

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

said by elwoodblues:

19% Duty? On a used car? WTF happened to "free trade"?

Never existed. This is 'fair trade'.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to DKS

to DKS
actually no.....people can have physical ties to a particular state/province and resident in another. "Resident" status is based on domicile and "intent" -- I was reading up on CA Franchise Tax Board guidelines (which are similar to CRA guidelines) which essentially state that physical presence is one of the criteria. Family, residential ties, social ties, bank accounts, voting registration etc all drive the intent for determining residency. FTB considers me a CA resident based on some of these factors.

That's also why CRA accepts me as a "Deemed Resident" and charges me a federal surtax which raises my FED tax burden to a level where I pay as much as you or any other other ON resident but under the category of "Deemed resident". Everyone's happy. Similarly, I don't have an objection in paying the Feds 6.1% duty, a $100 excise fee and even the import fee.

That's why a US insurance company will cover a person in any state - because people can have multiple residences.

If this was between CA and say, NV, it wouldn't be a problem. The international aspect of this makes it complex.

I'm just doing my due diligence. If they absolutely insist when I bring up the car, I'll grit my teeth and bear it. But I really do want to see it in writing where a Canadian resident isn't allowed to drive a US resident's car as long as the car is in drivable condition and with full insurance.
AR

AR to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
6.1% on a German car and then 13% HST. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like they're charging 19% duty.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Duty free from the U.S. applies to vehicles made in North America only.

AR

Toronto, ON

AR to Mashiki

to Mashiki
Don't even need a dual license. I will get a ON license (surrender my CA license).

But the car can be a CA registered vehicle (in my brother's name) and AAA will cover me on it in Canada because I'm the principal policy holder. At least that's what the guy said. And that's what makes it worth investigating --- month after month, I'll be paying a HELLUVA LOT in insurance!

The import fees are fair, I don't wanna scam the Canadian government out of their due.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

There are different laws governing dual citizens in Canada, especially Canuck/US. You can indeed have two licenses in Ontario( hta S.35). You can indeed have two healthcare cards(special circumstances between provinces), or US and Canuck.

A Canadian can also drive a US-plated vehicle into Canada without importing it if the vehicle is owned by the company they work for. There's forms you need to fill out to do that.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

Duty free from the U.S. applies to vehicles made in North America only.

I thought that got shot down by the WTO, with the autopact being unfair to imported cars and parts.