how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grok451

join:2008-10-08
Temple City, CA

[netopia] Former 2Wire users?

Would appreciate any feedback from those who switched from the 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway (or similar) to Netopia.

Questions:
• Why did you switch?
• What model 2Wire did you have?
• What model Netopia did you switch to?
• Any "gotchas" with the switch?
• How long has it been since you switched?
• Has it worked out for you (why/why not)?

Background:
Having terrible problems with 2Wire and AT&T (West) DSL service. Been to the 2Wire forum and there are many with similar issues. One person recommended the Netopia 3347-02 ADSL2 Wireless Router. If I have to replace the 2Wire, I'm trying to decide to get a new one or a different brand.

Thanks!

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

- I switched because the 3347 works better and has more features.

-I had the 2Wire 2701HG-B.

-I changed to the Motorola/Netopia 3347-02-1022.

-The only "gotchas" were that the 3347 was a little more complicated to configure (it is intended for businesses, so it has a lot of configuration options). Most of the options can be left at the default settings for home use, however, which simplifies matters.

The 2701HG-B is also more attractive-looking (almost looks like something Apple designed), but a pretty case does not mean that it is a superior performer. To me (based on its performance), the 3347 is the most beautiful modem I have seen.

-I switched in October, 2009 (about a year and a half ago).

-Yes, it has worked out quite well for me, since the 3347 has been everything that I hoped it would be (and more).

As a point of interest, at AT&T's website, they charge the same price for the 3347-02-1022 as they do for the 2701HG-B, but you get more for your money with the Netopia.

Note that I do not own any Motorola stock; I am simply providing an honest comparison (based on my experience). Feedback I have seen in the AT&T forums has indicated that those who have changed to the 3347 have been satisfied; I am not aware of anyone who gave up on the 3347 and went back to the 2Wire.

Grok451

Temple City, CA

Thanks so much for your feedback. Question: Any advantage to purchasing the 3347 from AT&T versus elsewhere? AT&T lists it at $100, while at amazon it can be had for $20. I've read something about possible regional firmware differences that can be resolved with Netopia.

Thanks again!

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

So far as I know, the 3347-02-1022 will work in any AT&T region. If amazon.com is selling an older version of the 3347, I assume that you will be able to set it up for any AT&T region, but I have not personally used these older models.

Grok451

Temple City, CA

It's listed at amazon as: Netopia 3347-02 ADSL2 Wireless Router: »www.amazon.com/Netopia-3347-02-A···1WYH9MZZ

Do you know if the -1022 designation is a firmware version or an actual hardware model version?

Thanks for your help!

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

The -1022 is a hardware version; there also are 3347-02-1002 and -1006 models. If the website had shown a picture of the bottom, I could tell what they have. Unfortunately, they didn't.

What you definitely don't want is a model number which ends in -ENT; this is an enterprise version which can only be configured via a Command Line Interface (there is no graphical configuration interface). Unless you are used to setting up Cisco and other professional networking gear, you will not enjoy working with one of these.

Have you contacted amazon to ask them for the complete model number? This will tell you exactly what they are selling. If they have more than one model number available, can they go through their stock and select a -1022 for you? So far as I know, only the -1022 can properly run the latest firmware. I installed the latest -1022 firmware into a -1002 model; it worked, but there were some instances of things not working quite right. Also, they warn you not to install firmware from a different version- I managed to get away with it, but you might end up with a broken modem (depending on your luck). Best to get the latest model, if possible.

Grok451

Temple City, CA

Hey, really appreciate your insight and info on the various hardware versions, especially the tip on the -ENT version. Gee, why can't things be just a little more straight-forward.

Thanks much.