uniqs
« Ummm....Sprint, VZ, and AT&T ... »
This is a sub-selection from Unlimited
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to criggs

to criggs

Re: Unlimited

Clearwire imposed the 1Mbps upload cap because they didn't want you to use the connection for web/video hosting. Now that they have competition, they need to taking away simple restrictions like that.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

said by xenophon:

Clearwire imposed the 1Mbps upload cap because they didn't want you to use the connection for web/video hosting.

In general, your posts on this forum indicate you know what you're talking about. And my gut tells me you're right about this.

But perhaps only in part.

You see, based on what Nathan told me, I'm wondering if we know the whole story here. He told me that originally there was no upload speed cap and no plans to cap the upload speed, and that the cap was an emergency stopgap measure due to unanticipated problems.

I have no doubt that it is entirely possible that their investigation of the unanticipated problems they bumped into (the problems which led them to impose the cap) may very well have led them to conclude that some subscribers were running web/video hosting.

But again, if Nathan is to be believed, it would appear they never expected a few folks doing hosting would cause this problem. It was unexpected, and the cap has always been viewed as temporary while they look for a permanent solution.

And, according to Nathan, they are "very serious" about raising that cap to 5 mbps because they are tired of being at a competitive disadvantage with Verizon's LTE.
« Ummm....Sprint, VZ, and AT&T ... »
This is a sub-selection from Unlimited