spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TooLongSo

@direcway.com

Hughes.net

I'd like to express how happy I am for all the Hughes.net users that are contented with their service. As one of their customers since 2003, I cannot express the same level of satisfaction. After 8 years, numerous complaints, service calls (both phone and physical), 3 equipment changes and upgrading to the Professional Plus Package, my signal strength remains mid-90's or better. I had experienced significant drop-outs with previous equipment packages. I spent over $2000 in 2006 to purchase my current system, recommended, supplied and installed by Hughes.net. The Pro + package flaunted 1.5 MB download speeds and 425 MB daily FAP limits. My download speed averages in the 60 to 130 kbps range. A wide array of websites I do business with cannot function through Hughes.net's proprietary ISP structure.

Hughes.net remains my only alternative to dial-up where I live. I am aware they control many options concerning where a subscriber is placed within the satellite data flow subsequently throttling the majority of users merely by placing us in the most heavily trafficked channels. increasing their bottom line while holding the customer hostage by lack of competition.

For my online college courses, I've been forced to use Verizon's wireless broadband due to the fact Hughes.net bandwidth available to me will not support even the smallest streaming video lectures. Were another option to present itself, I would gladly abandon the thousands of dollars I've wasted on their service and their sadly lacking responsiveness to the customer's needs and complaints.

For those of you contented with this sorely over-rated ISP, you should thank your lucky stars you landed where you did and that there are those of us forced to suffer with far less for the same price without recourse, supporting a worthless company while a lucky few reap the benefits.

george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
said by TooLongSo :

I'd like to express how happy I am for all the Hughes.net users that are contented with their service. As one of their customers since 2003, I cannot express the same level of satisfaction. After 8 years, numerous complaints, service calls (both phone and physical), 3 equipment changes and upgrading to the Professional Plus Package, my signal strength remains mid-90's or better. I had experienced significant drop-outs with previous equipment packages. I spent over $2000 in 2006 to purchase my current system, recommended, supplied and installed by Hughes.net. The Pro + package flaunted 1.5 MB download speeds and 425 MB daily FAP limits. My download speed averages in the 60 to 130 kbps range. A wide array of websites I do business with cannot function through Hughes.net's proprietary ISP structure.

Hughes.net remains my only alternative to dial-up where I live. I am aware they control many options concerning where a subscriber is placed within the satellite data flow subsequently throttling the majority of users merely by placing us in the most heavily trafficked channels. increasing their bottom line while holding the customer hostage by lack of competition.

For my online college courses, I've been forced to use Verizon's wireless broadband due to the fact Hughes.net bandwidth available to me will not support even the smallest streaming video lectures. Were another option to present itself, I would gladly abandon the thousands of dollars I've wasted on their service and their sadly lacking responsiveness to the customer's needs and complaints.

For those of you contented with this sorely over-rated ISP, you should thank your lucky stars you landed where you did and that there are those of us forced to suffer with far less for the same price without recourse, supporting a worthless company while a lucky few reap the benefits.

I do not know why you have had such issues with the service but I tend to think it is related to the 1.) Level of installation your local tech's provide and 2.) The beam you are assigned to. From what I understand if the install is not as close to perfect as possible there will be issues and some beams are more crowded than others making the service slower.
I am also taking online classes and if it were not for Hughes I could not do that easily because the dial-up here is painfully slow, much, much worse than Hughes.
There has been mention is various threads of Ellen a customer service manager or something, if you could find one of those threads and email her your story it seems to me that she will go to bat for ya.
--
The wise man seeks everything in himself; the ignorant man tries to get everything from somebody else. ~Anonymous

Way2Slow

join:2009-11-18
Efland, NC
I am so sick of seeing posts that say "get a good installation and you'll be fine." I have been able to get the 1.6 Mb/sec promised from my Pro Plus plan, but only at times. These times were numerous when I first got the service in Sept. 2009. But as HughesNet gained more subscribers on their 9000 bird, these occasions of 1.6 Mb/sec downloads became few and far between.

I'm located near (but not near enough) a high-tech research area where real DSL should have been provided by now. I think most people assume we've got it. All the government seed money seem to be going to the really remote locations. I'm sure the demand for satellite ISP is very dense in my area and I suspect Hughesnet just can't fill the need. They've made numerous attempts to juggle their network settings and nothing works. I'm lucky to get 400 Kb/sec downloads in the evenings.

WISP is just now getting to my horizon. At the end of my term, I will definitely give it a try.