spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jbander

join:2011-04-14

Ballast for 8ft fluorescents

I have a 8 foot light it uses f96t12 cw ss bulbs I bought it from Menards it came with a Chinese made carroway(earn high industries limited ) ballast it had a white and black wire coming out of one end and a blue and red wires coming out the other end. had two off them burn out. So I bought 2 GE proline t12 ballast for 2 f96t12, this one had a black and white wire coming out of one end and 2 blue and 1 red coming out of the other. I just guessed and wrapped the two blue wires together and connected the singe blue wire from the fixture to them. I then also connected the two red wires ,it lasted a few weeks and they both quit working. They are all 60w bulbs. is their a problem using a f96t12 cw ss in place off the f96t12 bulb that the proline supports. I see these ballast with all type of wiring configurations with as many as 5 wires coming out of one end(I think it's hard to count in a picture. did I make a mistake when I wired the two blue wires together on the proline, what to do?

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Yup, each blue lead was for a separate bulb. One blue goes to one side of one bulb, the other blue to the other side of another bulb, and the red goes to the other side of both.

Maybe the old ballast drove two bulbs in series? That would explain only 2 wires for 2 bulbs. You would have to change the wiring in that case for the ballast with two blue, one red, because that ballast is meant to drive the bulbs separately.

When in doubt, read the wiring diagram on the ballast.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to jbander

Probably like this...

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to jbander

The super saver lamps aren't your issue. You miswired the ballast and / or used the wrong ballast. Are these the "single pin" lamps? It's rarely worth repairing a T12 fixture. They are dinosaurs and energy hogs.

If you replace the ballast again, get a T8 ballast and switch to T8 lamps.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV
reply to jbander

Crossing the neutral and hot feeding the ballast will render some ballast's useless also..
--
I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Will Rodgers never met Harry Reid..

jbander

reply to John Galt

It looks like from the diagram that I can twist the two blue wires together on the ballast and connect them to the one blue wire on the fixture itself .The fixture only has two wires on the end ,one red and one blue. Unless I can find a ballast with just two wires.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

said by jbander:

It looks like from the diagram that I can twist the two blue wires together on the ballast and connect them to the one blue wire on the fixture itself

No!!!
--
The obstruction of our energy infrastructure has led us into being the world's policeman.-Karl Denninger,market-ticker.org

jbander

reply to jbander

Can anyone think of a reason why the two new ballast I just got, GE 260is-mv-n burned out. The said they were for 2 f96t12 bulbs, are f96t12 bulbs different(needing different ballast) from f96t12-cw-ss or f96t12-cw-eg or f96t12 cw d41 bulbs Are they all the same with letters added on. I think they are all 60w and those are the ones that I have in stock for replacements.

jbander

reply to MrMoody

No what????

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to jbander

said by jbander:

Can anyone think of a reason why the two new ballast I just got, GE 260is-mv-n burned out.

Have you read any of the replies here? I see a lot of reasons.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to jbander

I call troll. Guessing at the wiring and then wondering why it didn't work out is the first clue, but then ignoring what's said but feeding the same crap back caps it. I'll let the mods know.

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

Yep, sounds like a troll.. But regardless. it's a good primer for ballast connections..
--
I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Will Rodgers never met Harry Reid..

jbander

I'm sorry guys I have a real problem ,I know very little about wiring, I assumed that the two blue wires had to produce the same amount of electricity one for each bulb so I thought it made no difference to twist them together, the two together I thought would produce still the same amount of electricity. Then I could use it in my fixture with just 4 wires in two from each side. If it sounds like your dealing with a dummy ,fine I just wanted help/advice. It's obvious I asked the wrong question all I can say is I'm sorry.

jbander

reply to jbander

Maybe all I need is just a 4 wire ballast , is there such a thing any more. All the pictures I've seen seem to have more then 4 ,got any idea on were to get one.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to jbander

Could you please post a good pic of the ballast that you bought. Make sure that the wiring diagram on it is legible in the pic.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jbander

T8 bulbs normally fit fine in T12 fixtures, the only difference is that the two sides of a T8 fixtures lamp terminals are electrically bonded, whereas they are separate on a T12 to facilitate filament heating. All you have to do to convert to T8 normally is put in a T8 ballast, WIRE IT CORRECTLY, and put in T8 bulbs. Done.

If you're ever replacing ballasts in a T12 fixture, there is really no reason not to go to T8. T8 uses less power, and puts out more light. It makes no sense to hunt for an old fashioned T12 ballast and continue using obsolete bulbs.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to jbander

said by jbander:

No what????

No, your statement I quoted is not correct. You shouldn't be shorting the blue wires together, that's why the ballasts are burning out.
--
The obstruction of our energy infrastructure has led us into being the world's policeman.-Karl Denninger,market-ticker.org

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to garys_2k

I think you guys answered the question.
Let's see if he bothers to come back with a good picture of the ballast he bought.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

2 edits
reply to jbander

All the ballasts I had ever installed, back in the day (hundreds at least) for a pair of 120V (single-pin) F96T12s, had two red & two blue wires. A red & blue went to each bulb. They are probably made today with just one red wire to save money on wire, as with two red wires, they were connected together, anyway. Depends on the manufacturer and exact ballast, but these are probably the two most common wiring diagrams today. The ballasts the OP installed are damaged from connecting the two blue wires together. It sure would help if a simple picture were posted.

As far as the question is there a problem using F96T12CWSS in place of F96T12? No. (Provided the ballast supports the wattages the bulbs draw.) The 'CW' merely means 'Cool White', and the 'SS' is a manufacturer code (probably Sylvania's 60W 'Super-Saver' bulb). The problem is - 99% chance - that the ballast was wired wrong, and has burnt out because of that.

jbander

Thank you very much, I see where I made a mistake and I won't again. I don't know what a troll is and if that means I don't know the answer to, what I'm sure, looks like stupid .easy questions then yes I'm a troll. Thank you to the people who responded I learned a lot and I'll put what learned to use.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

1 recommendation

said by jbander:

Thank you very much, I see where I made a mistake and I won't again. I don't know what a troll is and if that means I don't know the answer to, what I'm sure, looks like stupid .easy questions then yes I'm a troll. Thank you to the people who responded I learned a lot and I'll put what learned to use.

Sorry about that, from the original post, where you first admitted to guessing how to wire it up (despite, I'm sure, there being instructions included with the ballast) and then ignoring the subsequent posts, I thought you were just trying to stir up some noise. In I'net speak, a "troll" is someone who doesn't really have a question but is fishing for responses, without really caring what they are. Double points for starting an argument or controversy and then sitting back.

Glad to see that wasn't what was up, and again, my apologies.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to jbander

»www.elightbulbs.com/Philips-3880···eBaseCSE

»estore.aclightingwarehouse.com/C···e74bc45c

Lamp and ballast if you want to upgrade to the 21st century. Note: You can probably find both cheaper locally at an electrical or lighting supplier.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
reply to jbander

BTW, just for future reference, NEVER, EVER just guess on how to hook up electrical stuff! Please, for the sake of your own life and that of your family's, there's really no room for guessing when it comes to wiring.