spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

Configure SIP setting on Android 2.3

I have enabled SIP, and have the SIP settings from PhonePower, but I can't figure out how to set it up in Android to use it for an Internet Call. I have entered in the settings as I thought it should be, but when I try to make a call and choose internet call, it does not work.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

I don't know about the native capabilities, but I would think any of the free SIP apps would work fine. I should have an android tablet in hand next week, I'll try some clients out and report back what I could get working.

jungliu
@megapath.net

jungliu to ditchmagnet

Anon

to ditchmagnet
I've tried a few apps.
I fond SipDroid is the most reliable.
There is no problem for outgoing calls.
However the caller can't hear you for incoming call.

I also manged to make it working once in CSipSimple.
After that, CSipSimple can't connect to PP.

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet to ditchmagnet

Anon

to ditchmagnet
Ok, I will have a look at the apps. I was hoping the built-in functions in gingerbread would have worked.

What if I post all the fields that gingerbread has, could you tell me what goes where?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by ditchmagnet :

Ok, I will have a look at the apps. I was hoping the built-in functions in gingerbread would have worked.

What if I post all the fields that gingerbread has, could you tell me what goes where?

I can try to help you, but I have no GB android phone to test on.

I think this is the mapping you want:
username - your phone #
passwd - pw
server - "proxy" address from phonepower

Should work

jungliu
@megapath.net

jungliu to ditchmagnet

Anon

to ditchmagnet
I remember I also tried Linphone.
It worked, but this one does not integrate with Android caller.

ditchmagnet
@comcastbusiness.net

Anon

to ditchmagnet
Here are the fields Gingerbread asks for:

Username (myphone number)
Password (got that from PP SIP credentials)
Server (I put 208.64.8.6)
Authentication Username (I put my phone number)
Display name (says same as username, but I did not enter anything here)
Outbound Proxy address (I put 208.64.8.6)
Port Number (was auto set to 5060, but I have also tried 5061)
Transport Type (was auto set to UDP, but I have tried TCP too)
Send Keep Alive (auto set to Automatic, but I have tried Always Send too.)
SIP User-Agent (left this what it was automatically - SIPAU/0.1.001)

So I hope that helps. I haven't tired SIPDroid yet, but I will. It would be so much nicer to be able to use the built-in function.
ditchmagnet

Anon

to ditchmagnet
Ok, I have tried to setup the account in Sipdroid too, but it says registration has failed when I put in my account settings.

I don't a data plan on my phone, just wifi, that shouldn't cause a problem should it?

What settings should I enter into Sipdroid? I put in the username, password, and proxy. Sipdroid then set it to UDP and port 5060.

Thanks.
ditchmagnet

Anon

to ditchmagnet
It would be great if PhonePower could setup a little guide this one:

»www.voipvoip.com/android ··· sip.html

(Still can't get Sipdroid to register)

topgun
join:2011-01-31

topgun

said by ditchmagnet :

It would be great if PhonePower could setup a little guide this one:

»www.voipvoip.com/android ··· sip.html

(Still can't get Sipdroid to register)

As if PhonePower does not have enough daily work to do? There are thousands of possible SIP phone\app configurations? When you call up Dell who gives tech support for your Dell, is it reasonable to expect a KB articles on every "popular" application in can run in that OS? Get my drift See:
»Sip Credentials now available for everyone

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

I wasn't saying they should make a guide for every app. A guide for the built-in native android settings would be universal for 2.3.

topgun

topgun

Yeah....but guess what happens when you make a guide for one OS? Just like when you donate money...ya get on a mailing list and pretty soon everyone is up your @ss? My Nokia E71 supports SIP credentials if they make a guide for Android then they should also make a guide for my phone. When PP says SIP credentials are not supported they mean just that...you are on your own. Read --->

Phone Power will not offer any technical support for your hand-configured device(s) and applications using SIP Credentials. Phone Power will continue to offer normal support for all auto-provisioning devices, including Phone Power supplied phone adapters, soft-phones, zippy-phones, BYOD devices that use Phone Power's auto provisioning system.

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

I know that don't provide support for this, which is why I am on a forum looking for help. Yes, I have already read the disclaimer, it was on the site when I enabled SIP. I don't know why it would be such a big deal for them to make a guide though. The link was from another VOIP provider. IF I can get this working, I will make a guide for them and submit it for their use is they want to put it in an FAQ. I am surprised that I can't find any other info on Gingerbread/PP/SIP settings though. I can't possibly be the first one searching for this. But maybe I am just the first one having problems with it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

I'll be getting my slate today. I should be able to talk a look at it, but if what I posted before doesn't work then there is some other issue - it's really as simple as putting in your username/password and the proxy.
DSM Fan
join:2010-10-04
Covina, CA

DSM Fan to ditchmagnet

to ditchmagnet
When configuring your credentials on a 3rd party app you will want to avoid adjusting the SIP port or port number. I was playing with SIP Droid and CSIPsimple and I tried adjusting the SIP port to something else and the logs from my router indicated that the server wasn't responding to me. I adjusted it back to 5060 and voila registration.

In regards to the config for SIP droid

Auth Username (Phone Number)
Password(password)
Server or Proxy 208.64.8.6
Port 5060

That is all you need everything else should be blank.

topgun

topgun to ditchmagnet

to ditchmagnet
said by ditchmagnet :

I know that don't provide support for this, which is why I am on a forum looking for help. Yes, I have already read the disclaimer, it was on the site when I enabled SIP. I don't know why it would be such a big deal for them to make a guide though. The link was from another VOIP provider. IF I can get this working, I will make a guide for them and submit it for their use is they want to put it in an FAQ. I am surprised that I can't find any other info on Gingerbread/PP/SIP settings though. I can't possibly be the first one searching for this. But maybe I am just the first one having problems with it.

If they make a guide for one app then they would be expected to do for all? Just like if I help one person for free all the roaches come out of the wood work? As you have found out though from John and others people are willing to help you if they can in this forum.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to ditchmagnet

Premium Member

to ditchmagnet
said by ditchmagnet :

I have enabled SIP, and have the SIP settings from PhonePower, but I can't figure out how to set it up in Android to use it for an Internet Call. I have entered in the settings as I thought it should be, but when I try to make a call and choose internet call, it does not work.

So I just set this up on a new install on a tablet, and it worked fine.

Enter your AuthID as user id, SIP password as password, put proxy ip in as both server and under advanced/proxy, hit back to save, and then check "receive calls" - it should register/authenticate right away. If it fails, then the SIP protocol is being blocked by a firewall somewhere between you and phonepower.

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

said by JohnInSJ:

said by ditchmagnet :

So I just set this up on a new install on a tablet, and it worked fine.

Enter your AuthID as user id, SIP password as password, put proxy ip in as both server and under advanced/proxy, hit back to save, and then check "receive calls" - it should register/authenticate right away. If it fails, then the SIP protocol is being blocked by a firewall somewhere between you and phonepower.

Looks like checking "receive calls" was what i was doing wrong. It wont work if that is not checked. I was hoping I didn't have to use it like that, and still have the option for incoming calls to go to the house, but thats better than nothing.

Is that the g-slate that you got?
DSM Fan
Covina, CA

DSM Fan

As long as your device is still registered you should get calls on both. The logic is similar to a clone line feature or the softphone.

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

Yes, house and phone ring at the same time. Thats fine.

Thanks for the help here!

I guess I will have to make a little guide now and stay true to my word. Would they post it to the FAQ if I submitted it to them?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to ditchmagnet

Premium Member

to ditchmagnet
said by ditchmagnet :

Is that the g-slate that you got?

viewsonic cheapo woot $280 gTablet. First thing out of the box, slap CyanogenMod 7 on it. Very nice (other than the crappy screen)

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

Thats an awesome price for a tablet with those specs.

Now that I have internet calling working, the only other thing I want is to be able to check my voicemail through the website from my phone...no silverlight in browser, and the wav files wont play.

Anybody got any tricks for that?

topgun

topgun

said by ditchmagnet :

Thats an awesome price for a tablet with those specs.

Now that I have internet calling working, the only other thing I want is to be able to check my voicemail through the website from my phone...no silverlight in browser, and the wav files wont play.

Anybody got any tricks for that?

Yeah have your voice-mails emails to you...wooot!

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

Ya, I have done that, but it is the same format as what you can download from the website, and so again, it will not play the wav file.
DSM Fan
Covina, CA

DSM Fan

I am using PowerAmp to listen to the wav files. There a couple of free apps that should do the trick

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan to ditchmagnet

to ditchmagnet
Remote Wave is free (Android) and it works for .wav files on my Optimus V.

ditchmagnet
@comcast.net

ditchmagnet

Anon

Remote Wave works perfect! Thank you. I had tried a bunch of other players in the past. Glad to find one that actually works!

Fred123
@shawcable.net

Fred123 to ditchmagnet

Anon

to ditchmagnet
I just put CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3.3.

The Native SIP stack/client works GREAT. It's integrated so no 3rd party apps or keypads to use. On my phone (LG Optimus One) it fixed a problem I had with 3rd party sip clients crackling and poping and blasting sound. Didn't matter which 3rd party app I used. With the native SIP in 2.3 it sound exactly like a cell call. And it even does call waiting so If I am on a cell call and a SIP call comes in I get the beep and can transfer to the other call which puts the first call on hold.

Very happy now. Depending on your data plan and long distance rates you could save a lot on calls by using SIP instead of making or receiving cell calls.