All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tina2011
join:2011-04-16

Tina2011

photoed speeding tickets from DC are not on driving record

A friend has two photoed speeding tickets from DC before, and he wants to go to court to fight for a recent one which he believed that was mistaken somehow. So he ordered his MD driving record and found that those two tickets mailed to him and he paid for fine before from DC are not shown on the record. Can he say in court that he has a clean driving record as shown on the record released to him from MVA and show them the record?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Odds are his record hasn't been updated yet. Some states also let you take a safety course (for $$ more than the ticket and have it forgiven) if you haven't had a ticket in five years.

But telling a judge you haven't had a ticket when you had? We have a word for that...
Tina2011

Tina2011

Thanks. That is what we figured. No, he actually did not need to tell a lie for this third ticket. We were just pondering what happened with the record and ask for opinion about it. Thanks a lot!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Also, does DC share criminal history with MD? If it didn't occur in MD it may not be on his MD record.

P.S. welcome to DSLR!
Tina2011

Tina2011

Criminal? That serious? We do not know. So the judge has all the records in front of him from all states about that driver when he trials a case, right?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I doubt it. But don't count on him not knowing something either. It's your friend's responsibility to be honest and say this is his third ticket.

And no, traffic violations are not generally on criminal history, although I bet it does show on background investigations.
Tina2011

Tina2011

That makes sense. I think all he should do is to focus on arguing about the current one, without mentioning his previous speeding tickets first. So the clean record copy is actually useless to him.

Thanks for talking with me about it. You are very generous and helpful.

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx to Tina2011

to Tina2011
I don't know DC, but my understanding is that in Maryland, the ticket is issued to the owner of the car.
There is no real way that they can verify who was driving, so the tickets should not appear on any driving license, only attached to the car tag renewal if not paid.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

SixOfNine to Tina2011

Premium Member

to Tina2011
I think that's usually the case, that photo-based violations don't go on anybody's record because they didn't positively identify a person. They're only interested in your money.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to Tina2011

Premium Member

to Tina2011
Speeding tickets are civil violations, not criminal. Photo-enforcement goes against the registered owner of a vehicle. They do become part of the owner's driving record: Even if there are no points assessed, the insurance company will absolutely know about it and most likely raise the premium. DC, MD and VA all share traffic and parking ticket data, and one cannot renew their tags or license with unpaid items owed to any of the jurisdictions.

There has been occasional talk in both DC and Maryland about tweaking the photo-enforcement laws to incur points as an officer-issued ticket would, to the owner of a vehicle unless someone else was operating it and comes forward within 30 days to accept responsibility (or if it can be established the vehicle had been stolen prior to the citation).
Tina2011

Tina2011 to Rxdoxx

to Rxdoxx
Thanks. My friend got two photoed speeding tickets from DC before: One in Oct. 2009 and one in Oc. 2010. His car insurance has not been influenced so far and neither of the speeding was on his record. We have been wondering whether it is because of the system delay. Now it looks that they will never put those two on the record, am I right? Of course I will not suggest him lying. But it is still good to know that his insurance will not roar suddenly one day because of those old tickets.
Tina2011

Tina2011 to DC DSL

to DC DSL
I agree with you. Strict law enforcement is what this society needs to put it into order. My friend got two photoed speeding tickets from DC before: One in Oct. 2009 and one in Sept. 2010. His car insurance has not been influenced so far and neither of the speeding was on his record. We have been wondering whether it is because of the system delay. It looks like there are loopholes in the system. Of course I will not suggest him lying. I will not let him drive my car again for sure.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

Rate hikes for tickets vary by insurer and individual driving record. A friend of mine got a photo red light ticket from Prince George's when he let a friend borrow his car. A couple of days after he paid it he had a notice from Allstate telling him his rate was being raised. Another friend got pulled over for speeding in Alexandria. He has GEICO and he never got dinged for it.