All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
reader50
join:2003-01-23
California

reader50

[DSL] Any word on the Bakersfield outage?

George, Steve, etc ...

Any word on what's caused a 30-hour outage in the greater Bakersfield area?

Related suggestion: when there are outages, perhaps you could post pictures of the cause. It would help us keep quiet, and might make for some pretty good geek prOn.

- The drunk driver's smashed car, with the DSLX network box up in a tree.

- A shot of the rack server cabinet, after the electrical fire.

- Electrocuted cat in the wiring box.

- Panoramic shot of the armed standoff with the disgruntled ex-employees, so we can see the large caliber hardware, and the one guy's suicide vest.

There are so many possibilities. All of them would be more interesting to discuss than making generic complaints. DSLX has cut so many of the competitive reasons to keep customers. Some pictorial feedback when problems happen would be inexpensive entertainment.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

Unfortunately, there's still no estimate as to when the outage will be resolved. I know that AT&T is working to restore service as quickly as possible.

Regarding your idea for photo's of the cause. I like that. Although it's not practical, I would like to see pictures of the equipment failures. In reality, it's likely that the pictures would be boring. A failed card. Bad cable etc. It's rarely as exciting as a train wreck.

dslx_ivan
join:2011-04-03

dslx_ivan to reader50

to reader50
Hi reader50, please find the link below that contains information regarding our current network status. I hope you find it helpful.

Best regards,
Ivan D.

»www.dslextreme.com/suppo ··· rkstatus
reader50
California

reader50

bump

It's now 96 hours down. Any word on the cause? Will the cat make it?
reader50

reader50

120 hours without service in the Bakersfield area.

We could be admiring what the drunk did to his sports car. Instead, I'm annoyed at the outage ... and thinking about when DSLX starts to pro-rate the monthly fee for lack of service.

You don't want customers thinking about that. And if it's a bad ethernet cable or card, then AT&T has some serious underachievers tracing the problem.

Please give some feedback. A pic of the negotiations at the armed standoff. Or a shot of the server room after the fire, revealing a terminator endoskeletal hand in the debris.

Heck, even an ETR and pic of AT&T techs working on the donut box ... er, the wiring box.

Anon2011
@mycingular.net

Anon2011

Anon

RE: Any word on the Bakersfield outage?

An ETR would indeed be greatly appreciated, and it would add a great deal of value to the network status page.
reader50
California

reader50

The network status page again shows the problem as resolved, exactly at midnight three days after the report was filed. Apparently, trouble notices automatically change to Resolved after a few days.

I've sent an email to tech support, reporting the internet still down.

For reference, service in this area stopped without warning on Friday, Apr 15 at approximately 10:15 AM PST. It has not been resolved at any point since.

Suggestion: stop the auto-resolution of trouble notices. Let them stay up until someone cancels them manually. The page has now lied to us twice.
edgtsp
join:2004-03-25
Tehachapi, CA

edgtsp to reader50

to reader50

Re: [DSL] Any word on the Bakersfield outage?

I'm still down, what is going on?? Is this cause to cancel my contract and go back to ATT?
reader50
California

reader50

Down now for 168 hours - a full week. The network status page continues to claim all is well. My email to tech support drew this reply 25 hours ago:
Hi,

Im sorry to inform you that there is still an outage in Baker field. The Telephone company is on its final phase of their work. When the outage is resolve, we shall inform you immediately.
I already knew there was still an outage in this area. Apparently, the final phase (filling the hole in?) is taking longer than usual. And the reply is non-specific ... which telephone company was that again? Based on the wording, I suspect the author had no idea what AT&T was doing, and gave me generic assurances. The grammar errors are not encouraging.

Could we have a real update, please? An ETR perhaps. AT&T's own DSL service has been unaffected in this area - this suggests the problem is in DSLX's network systems.

Will DSLX pro-rate our bills for no service?

Talk to us, please. We are your customers.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

Our backhaul was taken down in error. To resolve this issue, we are moving all outage customers to a new network. We're working with AT&T to get this outage resolved as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, this will take another 2-5 business days to complete.

The new network will require connecting using PPPoE.
reader50
California

reader50

Thank you for the update. And for fixing the Network Status page.

It will be inconvenient, with the weekend pushing the ETR into next week. Is there anything we can ask for to compensate? A bump to legacy web space perhaps.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

Feel free to call or email (billing@dslextreme.com) our billing department to request a credit. Make sure that you don't make the request until after the service is restored.

Anon2011
@mymmode.com

Anon2011

Anon

Thank you for the estimate. It's interesting that you mention the PPPOE, since I was asked to switch to that a couple of months ago. I guess there were some using PPPOE and some not on that backhaul? Thanks again for the estimate and additional info. Yes, it's just an estimate, but I think something is better than nothing.

Salas
@rr.com

Salas

Anon

I am still down. It is two days short of two weeks.

This is very frustrating.
reader50
California

reader50

The Network Status page shows the problem as Resolved. But I'm still down.

Tested with both routers (i pull 2 IPs), tested with two computers connected directly to modem, cycled modem multiple times. No PPPoE server found. I even checked for DHCP, but there was nothing there either.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

Hi reader50 -

Service for most clients in the area on the new network was restored yesterday and today. There are a still orders we are pushing through with AT&T but a vast majority of the clients service have come back up. As Steve indicated you would need to change the connection over to PPPoE. Did you use the @dslextreme.com after the username? I assume your modem is in sync.

Thanks
reader50
California

reader50

George, thanks for replying. I've sent my account # to you via PM in case this is limited to my account.

My modem is in sync, and I'm using PPPoE. Currently connected straight from computer to modem.

I usually use @dslextreme.com after the username, but have tried it without just now without effect. My log messages indicate 'no route to host' or 'PPPoE server not found' which suggests it never got to authentication.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

I believe I've found your account using your username. If that is the case, I can see that the the order is still being processed. I'll check on tomorrow. Can you PM me your account info so I can make sure I'm looking at the correct account?

beaslenut23
@myvzw.com

beaslenut23 to reader50

Anon

to reader50
I'm still down as well.

Please advise what PPPoE means......how do I do this new way of logging in if my connection never comes up???

beaslenut23
Kat
reader50
California

reader50

beaslenut23, go here for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) connection instructions:

Mac OS X: »www.dslextreme.com/suppo ··· e-client
Vista: »www.dslextreme.com/suppo ··· on-setup
XP: »www.dslextreme.com/suppo ··· nt-setup

I couldn't find any Linux help pages, sorry.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm to beaslenut23

ISP Employee

to beaslenut23
Hi beaslenut23 -

Is your DSL modem in sync? As reader50 See Profile indicated you will need to change your connection to connect via PPPoE. If your modem is directly connected to your computer you will need to follow one of the articles below to setup the connection. If you have a router you can change your router settings to connect via PPPoE. You will enter your main username and password including the @dslextmre.com in the username to connect.

Thanks

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to reader50

Mod

to reader50

(topic move) [DSL] Any word on the Bakersfield outage?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[DSL] Internet down since 4/15
reader50
California

reader50

For anyone interested, the Bakersfield outage (area code 661) is fixed for most people. A handful are still affected, myself included.

I got a pleasant call from Steve, with unfortunate bad news. AT&T experienced a problem on my order (or I'm just in the last few) and it likely won't get fixed until next week. The AT&T office involved closes for the weekend.

Out of around 350 customers affected, it sounds like there are only 10-20 of us still hanging.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

(topic move) only 10-20 users

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »only 10-20 users
Expand your moderator at work
sashwa

sashwa to reader50

Mod

to reader50

Re: [DSL] Any word on the Bakersfield outage?

For those of you who are still being affected by the Bakersfield outage and wish to get help, please start your own topic about your problem. This makes it easier for the Techs to keep track of "Help Requests".

reader50
California

1 edit

reader50

We are still hanging here if any techs are listening. Sync no surf. 19 days without fresh por ... er, with bills that need to be paid online.

Edit: connection came back the next morning. A separate issue remains, and I started a new thread for that.