spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GoodDay2You

@sbcglobal.net

[OTA] In need of a TV antenna. I need recommendations.

I will be switching to OTA from satellite. I went to the AntennaWeb website and entered my address. All stations were under 35 miles away. I was told no putting an antenna on the roof or in the attic, so I guess that restricts me to an indoor antenna. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but at the same time I want to get as many channels as possible.

Which antenna would you recommend I get?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

Biggest question is are they all in the same direction within a few degrees? Many places they aren't so multiple ants. or rotor.

As well as is all you care out is largely NON reality (because its dirt cheap to produce) BS broadcast TV ever more desparate and nothing else?

--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

treeman
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA
reply to GoodDay2You

The HOA can't restrict you from installing an antenna. This is from the FCC site:

»www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

treeman
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA
reply to GoodDay2You

Sorry wasn't paying attention to your post, though for a minute it concerned an HOA

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to GoodDay2You

said by GoodDay2You :

I will be switching to OTA from satellite. I went to the AntennaWeb website and entered my address. All stations were under 35 miles away. I was told no putting an antenna on the roof or in the attic, so I guess that restricts me to an indoor antenna. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but at the same time I want to get as many channels as possible.

Which antenna would you recommend I get?

Antennaweb sucks. Go to the link and post the results. Use your adress. It won't show in the results but will be the most accurate. we can't help until we know what you situation is. Stations being 35 miles away means nothing.

»www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Premium
West Tenness
reply to treeman

said by treeman:

Sorry wasn't paying attention to your post, though for a minute it concerned an HOA

even a landlord can't prevent you from having an antenna.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to GoodDay2You

Denny's TV Antenna Sales
»www.dennysantennaservice.com/ez_···nna.html
»www.dennysantennaservice.com/ant···ion.html

HDTv Antenna Labs
»www.hdtvantennalabs.com/hdtv-ant···iews.php
AntennasDirect DB2 »www.hdtvantennalabs.com/reviews/···ews.html

GoodDay2You

@sbcglobal.net
reply to GoodDay2You

Here are my results from TVFool:

»www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp···d087a8f0

Premium
West Tenness

said by GoodDay2You :

Here are my results from TVFool:

Lucky that you live in a good area. This is all you should need.

»www.radioshack.com/product/index···=2103077

dishfish
Premium
join:2003-01-07
Dallas, TX
reply to GoodDay2You

I have one of these hanging in my attic. It works great! I am 30 miles from the antenna farm for DFW in Cedar Hill, Tx.

All stations are at 100% or close to it.

»www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc···nas&sku=

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Lucky that you live in a good area. This is all you should need.

»www.radioshack.com/product/index···=2103077

At 33 miles, that's a good starting point, but with OTA, unless you are putting an antenna on the roof, figure on doing some experimenting.

Try it where you want it, and if it works well there, great. If not, open the window and put the antenna on the outside sill. Keep moving it until you get a compromise between your aesthetic ideal and a reasonable signal strength. I found it helpful to have one of the converter boxes with a numerical SSI. No idea how accurate the scale is but at least it's an ordinal measurement.

In my case I can look out the window and see the towers, so I am "under the umbrella" and rabbit ears work, except when somebody walks outside, or inside, a truck goes by, it's snowing, when my neighbor backs her car down the driveway ... and so on.

Whatever the antenna and its location, you want as little as possible between your antenna and their antenna. If I recall correctly, multipath can be a big issue with digital signals, and there are some strategies for dealing with that, too.

Let us know how it works out.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

GoodDay2You

@sbcglobal.net
reply to GoodDay2You

Hello again everyone. A few days ago I bought an antenna at Big Lots for $3 which to me seemed similar to the one at Radio Shack. I was impressed at what it was able to pull it, but sadly one thing it couldn't pull in was CBS. We watch a few things on CBS so to make our transition to OTA that is one channel we will definitely need.

So the question is what now? This was the only channel it couldn't pull in. There were some varrying results when we'd move the location to the antenna and TV as far as reception went, but had that antenna been able to pick up CBS this would have been near perfect.

So what should be my next step? Putting an antenna in the attic would be a last resort. Is there anything else we can try as far at OTA goes before having to go that way?

Here are my TVFool results again:

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

AVS Forum at »www.avsforum.com , or »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···20339085. might have better information about the usefulness of antennas. WBBM(CBS) has been a troubled station ever since the start of its temporary digital transmission. It remains so today. From what I have read about it, lots of OTA only viewers have to go to larger antennas hung on the wall or installed in the attic. Some have had to use combiners and filters to get a good signal. »store03.prostores.com/servlet/de···r/Detail. I would also contact Denny's at »www.dennysantennaservice.com/index.html and see what they recommend.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to GoodDay2You

maybe this or something like it?

Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/

Premium
West Tenness
reply to GoodDay2You

said by GoodDay2You :

Hello again everyone. A few days ago I bought an antenna at Big Lots for $3 which to me seemed similar to the one at Radio Shack. I was impressed at what it was able to pull it, but sadly one thing it couldn't pull in was CBS. We watch a few things on CBS so to make our transition to OTA that is one channel we will definitely need.

So the question is what now? This was the only channel it couldn't pull in. There were some varrying results when we'd move the location to the antenna and TV as far as reception went, but had that antenna been able to pick up CBS this would have been near perfect.

So what should be my next step? Putting an antenna in the attic would be a last resort. Is there anything else we can try as far at OTA goes before having to go that way?

Here are my TVFool results again:

CBS is WBBM which is on Ch 12 which is HI-VHF. What you need to do is use the rabbit ears part of that antenna to get that in. Each side should be about 16 inches long and nearly flat.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to 08034016

said by 08034016:

Support

No he doesn't need an amplified antenna. His signals are too strong it will overload the the reciever and won't get anything in.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to GoodDay2You

And maybe mentioned by now but no such thing as an HD or digital antenna... just marketing BS to charge you more and think a reason.
--

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by 08034016:

Support

No he doesn't need an amplified antenna. His signals are too strong it will overload the the reciever and won't get anything in.

Would this help in many types of Weather and your surroundings

Tall trees etc.
--
Support

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

said by 08034016:

said by 88615298:

said by 08034016:

Support

Would this help in many types of Weather and your surroundings

Tall trees etc.

OK amps don't make an antenna have more gain. Amps reduce gain loss. So unless he has 75 or 100 feet of coax and has his antenna is split off several times an amp would be useless.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

said by 88615298:

OK amps don't make an antenna have more gain. Amps reduce gain loss. So unless he has 75 or 100 feet of coax and has his antenna is split off several times an amp would be useless.

Actually they must be AT THE ANTENNA... at set they are just amplifying all the line noise and no gain.

Place I lived had line of site to a TV station out of market. As most would do first attempt was at set... snowy but could see was there.

Moved it up to the attic at antenna output... CRYSTAL clear like a local station with rabbit ears.

Distance OTA amps MUST be at antenna.
--

Premium
West Tenness

said by Hayward:

said by 88615298:

Actually they must be AT THE ANTENNA... at set they are just amplifying all the line noise and no gain.

Place I lived had line of site to a TV station out of market. As most would do first attempt was at set... snowy but could see was there.

Moved it up to the attic at antenna output... CRYSTAL clear like a local station with rabbit ears.

Distance OTA amps MUST be at antenna.

Yes I know where an amp must be. Doesn't have anything to do with my post. He still doesn't need one.

Also with digital there isn't any snow. You either get in a crystal clear picture or nothing. There isn't any gradual fade with digital OTA.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

3 edits

said by 88615298:

Also with digital there isn't any snow. You either get in a crystal clear picture or nothing. There isn't any gradual fade with digital OTA.

Yes this was still in the analog days... but again useless today as well those parameters still appliy.

There are no HD ant or other not basic RF physics actuality vs BS but for maybe the freq involved.... but again that is simple RF physics not A or D BS.

Unless you want to $$$ suck up someones nonsense.

Though many think there is somehow something different about digital.

IT'S BS.... RF is RF analog or digital
--

Premium
West Tenness

said by Hayward:

said by 88615298:

Yes this was still in the analog days... but again useless today as well those parameters still appliy.

There are no HD ant or other not basic RF physics actuality vs BS but for maybe the freq involved.... but again that is simple RF physics not A or D BS.

Unless you want to $$$ suck up someones nonsense.

Though many think there is somehow something different about digital.

IT'S BS.... RF is RF analog or digital

Its still apples and oranges. For example in my area channel 2 used to be on actual channel 2. Not it's on UHF 27. Ok now besides the fact that Low-VHF and UHF signals travel somewhat differently the power levels are different. Even channel 5 which is still on channel 5 is not broadcasting at the same power level as it was in analog.

Analog UHF signals could have power levels up to 5000 kW now the max with digital is 1000 kW. Maybe 1000 kW digital doesn't = 5000 kW analog as the FCC thinks.

Also there are things like on a channel which I used to be able to get in analog pretty easy is much harder with digital. With analog they were broadcasting at the max allowed power level but with digital they have decided to broadcast at only 392 kW even though they could go as high as 1000 kW. So maybe it's not that digital sucks but because the station is being stupid and cheap with the power levels.

Also some station are now using directional antennas whereas maybe with analog they are using omni-directional. And if the directional antena is face AWAY from you then of course that will effect reception. Once again has NOTHING to do with digital.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

said by 88615298:

With analog they were broadcasting at the max allowed power level but with digital they have decided to broadcast at only 392 kW even though they could go as high as 1000 kW. So maybe it's not that digital sucks but because the station is being stupid and cheap with the power levels.

Also some station are now using directional antennas whereas maybe with analog they are using omni-directional. And if the directional antena is face AWAY from you then of course that will effect reception. Once again has NOTHING to do with digital.

Unless it was FCC mandated that's a lot of BS... no station would go to that infrastucture cost unless mandated.

And still does not negate the FACT there is no such thing as a HD or digital antenna...antenna is an antenna PERIOD.
--

Premium
West Tenness

said by Hayward:

said by 88615298:

With analog they were broadcasting at the max allowed power level but with digital they have decided to broadcast at only 392 kW even though they could go as high as 1000 kW. So maybe it's not that digital sucks but because the station is being stupid and cheap with the power levels.

Unless it was FCC mandated that's a lot of BS... no station would go to that infrastucture cost unless mandated.

Which part is BS? I can show you link to the power levels and antennas. I'm not making shit up.

And still does not negate the FACT there is no such thing as a HD or digital antenna...antenna is an antenna PERIOD.

yes yes we all know that and has nothing to do with the topic.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

said by 88615298:

Which part is BS? I can show you link to the power levels and antennas. I'm not making shit up.

Not that FCC rules for the station HAVEN'T CHANGED BUT THERE STILL IS NO SUCH THING AS AN HD OR DIGITAL ANTENNA.

An antenna is just that period. Unless you really want to pay more because it BS says digital when just relabeled for sucker $$$ plain old antenna.

ONLY difference is its receiving a bunch of 1's and 0's likely square wave instead of a modulated FM sine waves.

Now there is another difference in analog TV stations were two entities An AM radio station and a FM picture station.

Now they are just one digital stream... cutting bandwith requirements a lot and allowing for the often 3 SD sub and HD main channels in the same space.

Though many reassigned from VHF to UHF that causes other issues. As well as high infrastructure cost .... TOTAL transmitter replacement...you can't can't make a 100KW (and that's a HUGE one how much more efficient those frequencies were) low cost why so prized plus signal travels better) VHF transmitter into a 500KW to MW (high electric cost) UHF where the transmit path also goes from heavy wire to big cavity resonate plumbing.

Though the simple on off of digital is probably less costly than analog continuously modulated sine waves were for analog UHF
As well as the benefit of the up to 3 Sd or two ED sub channels in the same single licensed space.
--

Premium
West Tenness

said by Hayward:

BUT THERE STILL IS NO SUCH THING AS AN HD OR DIGITAL ANTENNA.

I'm not sure why you are beating this dead horse. No one is disagreeing with you. How many times do you wish to keep repeating this?

The only thing I will say is that antennas labled as "digital" don't have elements designed for recieving low-VHF

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

What would you Suggest to get if someone lives around Tree's etc my HD Signal OTA is Strong you can look this up yourself if need be..

Look up my city under Avatar.
--
Support

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

said by 08034016:

said by 88615298:

What would you Suggest to get if someone lives around Tree's etc my HD Signal OTA is Strong you can look this up yourself if need be..

If your signals are strong then trees won't be an issue. Going by a general TVfool look up of your town( an exact address match woud be more accurate ) your ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX stations all come form the same general dirrection. The "weakest" of those is NBC. Even if trees killed 99.9 of the signal it would still be strong enough to come in without much issue.

Like I said an amp doesn't make an antenna have more gain. A 12 dB antenna and 20 dB amp doesn't mean you suddenly have a 32 dB antenna. The amp prevents 20 dB of loss.

If you are having issues with tress and buildings it could be multi-path. In which case getting a more directional antenna and trying to find a spot with less multi-path would be a solution. Your other solution is have the antenna higher than the trees or cut the trees down.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by 88615298:

said by 08034016:

said by 88615298:

If your signals are strong then trees won't be an issue. Going by a general TVfool look up of your town( an exact address match woud be more accurate ) your ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX stations all come form the same general dirrection. The "weakest" of those is NBC. Even if trees killed 99.9 of the signal it would still be strong enough to come in without much issue.

Like I said an amp doesn't make an antenna have more gain. A 12 dB antenna and 20 dB amp doesn't mean you suddenly have a 32 dB antenna. The amp prevents 20 dB of loss.

If you are having issues with tress and buildings it could be multi-path. In which case getting a more directional antenna and trying to find a spot with less multi-path would be a solution. Your other solution is have the antenna higher than the trees or cut the trees down.

There's no such a thing around me as a clear path so to speak or get a Ant Higher then the trees..

What would you Suggest?
--
Support