uniqs

MikeTest
Non-Believer
join:2010-10-19
Moribund

MikeTest to Name Game

to Name Game

Re: PayPal Phising Email...your enhanced account statement here

Yeah, I got this e-mail and I didn't click on any of it's links and I did set it aside...

However, I don't think it's a phishing attempt. Headers look legit for Paypal Advantage advertising and Google hits seem to agree.

I've forwarded the e-mail to spoof@paypal.com but why should we be 100% sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing?

I'd like a definitive answer with a well thought out explanation.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by MikeTest:

Forward it to the DSLR phishtracker.
That should be enough to get an answer on whether or not it's a phishing attempt.
»/phishtrack

MikeTest
Non-Believer
Moribund

MikeTest

said by Snowy:

said by MikeTest:

Forward it to the DSLR phishtracker.
That should be enough to get an answer on whether or not it's a phishing attempt.
»/phishtrack

Not to be a prick, but who is going to do what to determine an e-mail's legitimacy? And, what are they going to do that I can't do myself? I mean, no explanation is given at all as to what is investigated or how.

I'm certainly not questioning the people here that do so much good work, but I make a point, no?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by MikeTest:

... who is going to do what to determine an e-mail's legitimacy?

me.
These emails will eventually cross my desk if they are phish.
The DSLR phishtracker is just a way to fast track them.

MikeTest
Non-Believer
Moribund

MikeTest

Me, what? How are you going to determine the legitimacy or not of said e-mail?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

The headers will provide all the data that's needed to determine where the the email originated.
If an email originated from a computer in the middle of a rice field in S. Korea, I'll stake my reputation on the fact that it did not originate with PayPal.

MikeTest
Non-Believer
Moribund

MikeTest

said by Snowy:

The headers will provide all the data that's needed to determine where the the email originated.
If an email originated from a computer in the middle of a rice field in S. Korea, I'll stake my reputation on the fact that it did not originate with PayPal.

Of course, I did that. The info in the headers point to Responsys. Responsys appears to be a marketing company that Paypal uses for well, marketing.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by MikeTest:

said by Snowy:

Of course, I did that. The info in the headers point to Responsys. Responsys appears to be a marketing company that Paypal uses for well, marketing.

Well that's the difference.
Submitted to the phishtracker, I wouldn't use words like 'appears". It would be either definitively defined as a phishing attempt or not.
You do bring up a good point about the possibility of PayPal using a 3rd party mailing service.
With that in mind, the complete email submitted to the phishtracker will get the answers you're looking for.
Expand your moderator at work