Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hockeynomad

join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

[Voip.ms] Fast busy signal on outbound call with voip.ms

one number I have frequently been calling has suddenly only returned a fast busy signal. I opened a ticket with voip.ms and they say all is well and to try changing my CallerID, value and premium service and I have changed to Montreal and New York servers.

all in vain.

BTW, my backup Callcentric termination does dial this number.

Been having this issue for a couple of weeks.

all other numbers dialed connect.

Any ideas?

Reg Nehring

@spodnet.net

Outbound from Voip.Ms is working well here.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to hockeynomad

Is it by a chance a Google Voice number?

Google Voice recommends to set all phones, registered with GV, to provide caller ID, pointing to that GV number. It is logical and actually it's the right thing to do. It's because when you call from any of those your numbers, your caller ID will be the same as GV number. So, your recipients may call back easy via that one GV number...

But if you do it with voip.ms - it may create a problem. You can't call your own GV number from voip.ms DID, if it's configured with GV CID... That's weird, but that's what start happening with my DID and GV...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
reply to hockeynomad

Have you tried testing with a softphone to eliminate an issue with your equipment?

A_VoIPer

join:2009-11-04
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

Google Voice recommends to set all phones, registered with GV, to provide caller ID, pointing to that GV number. It is logical and actually it's the right thing to do. It's because when you call from any of those your numbers, your caller ID will be the same as GV number. So, your recipients may call back easy via that one GV number...

This might be a bit OT, but this recommendation bothers me without some consideration of possible consequences. Where does GV recommend this? This could cause serious issues when calling 911. Here's some links that discuss E911 and CID issues and possible workarounds such that the PSAP operators get quick and accurate location details if you call:
»e911 - voip.ms - gv
»Should I port to VOIP.ms or Google Voice?
»Cheap Standalone E911

hockeynomad

Mississauga, ON
reply to Mango

said by Mango:

Have you tried testing with a softphone to eliminate an issue with your equipment?

I know Callcentric has a softphone, but what softphone can I use with voip.ms?

I give up sending tickets to voip.ms, its always 'everything's fine".

A_VoIPer

said by hockeynomad:

I know Callcentric has a softphone, but what softphone can I use with voip.ms?

I give up sending tickets to voip.ms, its always 'everything's fine".

Just about any SIP based softphone should work. I like x-lite v3 and phonerlite (note, I've not tried x-lite v4 and have only used these on Windows).

BTW, when you tried modifying your CID from the VoIP.ms control panel/settings menu, did you try setting it to the known working Callcentric DID? I'm guessing that for some reason the provider of the number you're calling may think your DID is owned by them and/or it might be in their routing tables as local.

hockeynomad

Mississauga, ON
reply to hockeynomad

Yes, I changed the CID, no difference.

the sofphone phonerlite, doing a manual configuration, what is the Proxy/Register, Realm/Doman, and STUN setting?

A_VoIPer

said by hockeynomad:

the sofphone phonerlite, doing a manual configuration, what is the Proxy/Register, Realm/Doman, and STUN setting?

I use my DID server (atlanta.voip.ms) for the Proxy/Registrar entry and left realm and stun blank. On the User tab, I use my sub-account username and password. Note, I use UPnP on the network tab since my router supports it, but that shouldn't be necessary with the default reg timeout of 900 since my router should keep the NAT session open that long. BTW, I find it disconcerting that the support team isn't helping you more.

hockeynomad

Mississauga, ON
reply to hockeynomad

First time I've used softphone, but looks like same fast busy signal.

But not sure setting are right.

A_VoIPer

To make sure your settings are right such that you can make an outgoing call, you could try calling the MCI ANI verification number at 800-437-7950 (this can be used to verify your CID settings as well).

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
reply to hockeynomad

Want to PM the number to me and I'll test it?

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice
reply to hockeynomad

I can confirm the behaviour on VoIP.ms with premium routing. I didn't try another provider since I didn't want to bother your friend. FWIW, the response from VoIP.ms is "503 Service Unavailable".

If you have a cell phone, I'd try testing with that if you haven't already. Reopen your ticket and mention that the number works from your cell and from Callcentric, but not VoIP.ms and ask them to test the number.

I tried another number in the same NPA/NXX from the same carrier and could not reproduce the problem. Looks as if the issue is isolated just to your friend's number.

m.
--
Recommended ATA Settings | e164 - make your DID accessible via SIPBroker!

hockeynomad

Mississauga, ON
reply to hockeynomad

My friend is in the process of porting his number to voip.ms, but I did note to support, I had this same issue intermittently about 2 weeks ago, before the port process began. I have told them an alternate voip carrier (Callcentric) works. They said they had no problem. (don't they always say that?)

Here is support response:

"Please refer to our previous reply, the number 999999999 is still on process to be ported to our network, you can try to reach this number using your VoIP.ms account, however the customer that owns that number needs to route his DID properly, at the time using your account with us you will reach a busy signal because of the way the number is routed."

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

You didn't tell us that before

In that case, the reply from support is entirely correct and the number is behaving exactly as a number with invalid routing should.

m.
--

hockeynomad

Mississauga, ON
reply to hockeynomad

Not sure of that. I opened a ticket for the same reason TWO weeks ago, and as I said, was well before the porting process, and was told there was no problem.

But will wait and see.

suppafly
Premium
join:2009-11-27
Reviews:
·Cablemas

1 recommendation

Hello

This issue only may occur if you are trying to call a number that is in porting process and that already HAS been added to the other customer´s account but porting date has not arrived yet.

We add the numbers to the accounts as soon as we get an FOC (porting date) for them, so the other customer can have time to configuer the DIDs routing ahead of the porting date to prevent any downtime.

If the other customers configures his device and routes it properly, you WILL be able to call him, since we do internal routing of the call and just deliver it to the other customer.

Please send me a PM if you have any other questions Ill be glad to help
--
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms

A_VoIPer

said by suppafly:

This issue only may occur if you are trying to call a number that is in porting process and that already HAS been added to the other customer´s account but porting date has not arrived yet.

That would certainly explain the issue.

We add the numbers to the accounts as soon as we get an FOC (porting date) for them, so the other customer can have time to configuer the DIDs routing ahead of the porting date to prevent any downtime.

That makes sense.

If the other customers configures his device and routes it properly, you WILL be able to call him, since we do internal routing of the call and just deliver it to the other customer.

This doesn't seem like the best approach. How many customers that have a port request are aware of this? Is this documented during the process? I wonder if other providers take the same approach.

It seems there could be up to a few weeks while this internal routing is enabled and FOC date has not been reached. During this time, any VoIP.ms customers trying to reach that DID will fail unless the other customer happens to already have a way to receive the calls. They may have a way to ring their existing phone (or other means) with the new provider, but if they aren't aware of the way VoIP.ms handles the routing, they might not have that setup yet or know that they should care. I would think a better approach would be to present the new DID to the menu so the customer can start configuring it to their liking, but continue to route calls from other customers out the standard path until the FOC date.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to suppafly

said by suppafly:

I'm not so sure. I have recently had a similar issue (now resolved). I created a new sub-account and was unable to call International numbers even though I can on my other sub-accounts. I received error 503. I could call North American and iNum numbers. Support had me try the value route instead of premium and I was then able to call international numbers. I also found that I could call international numbers, via a premium route, if I used the Houston server instead of the Chicago server. Anyway, as I say, the problem is now resolved, but my point in posting is to say that there may be "undocumented features" in the system.
--
WRT610N + dd-wrt - SPA2102 - SPA3102 - Asterisk 1.4 on Pogoplug
VoIP.MS - freecanadiancalls.ca - Localphone - Callcentric - Google Voice - UKDDI - IPKall

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice
reply to A_VoIPer

said by A_VoIPer:

How many customers that have a port request are aware of this? Is this documented during the process?

Yes - I got an email notifying me when I ported.

said by grand total:

my point in posting is to say that there may be "undocumented features" in the system.

Anything's possible, but in this case the system is doing exactly what it is designed to do.

m.
--

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to A_VoIPer

I will admit I had taken the time to ensure the settings are in place on my waiting to be ported DID. In theory I believe all I should have to do once the port happens is deprogram my old DID (which I was viewing as a temporary number only).

hockeynomad

Mississauga, ON
reply to hockeynomad

My friend has ported his number yesterday. But there were some issues regarding his inbound capability. His cell could not connect to his newly ported number.

But an inquiry to live chat and a qucik correction on voip.ms enabled incoming calls.

Back to my previous point, during the porting process, he already had an account setup and a phone connected to the jack on his ATA.

He should then have been able to receive inbound calls from other voip.ms customers. Another friend is also in the porting process, but I could connect to his Voip.ms phone

Mango
Premium
www.toao.net

Glad to hear the port completed successfully.