Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wingspar
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Oregon

Red Light on Modem

A few minutes ago, I paused a YouTube video for a few minutes. When I came back, there is a red light on the modem. The initials DS go with the red light. It is a Ubee modem.

Downstream power level is -1.04
Upstream power level is 36.75

A speed test shows download speed of 15.2 mbps and upload of 1 mbps.

Why is this red light on? Internet connection seems to be working as it should.
--
Gary

Will Fly for Food

taurusgl

join:2007-07-30
Turlock, CA

if its a Ubee Docsis 3 modem it means that channel bonding is enabled.

wingspar
Premium
Oregon

This modem replaced another modem about 3 or 4 months ago. I’ve never seen this read light before. What is channel bonding? Why did the light suddenly appear red?
--
Gary

Will Fly for Food

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to taurusgl

I do believe that when channell bonding is activated it suppose to turn blue

taurusgl

join:2007-07-30
Turlock, CA

On Motorola modems it turns blue. On Ubee it turns Orange (which can look like red sometimes).

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX

oh ok

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to wingspar

said by wingspar:

This modem replaced another modem about 3 or 4 months ago. I’ve never seen this read light before. What is channel bonding? Why did the light suddenly appear red?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_bonding
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

wingspar
Premium
Oregon

That wikipedia page might have well been written in a foreign language.

I suppose I can assume this is nothing to be concerned about?

Why did this light, which is still on, just suddenly appear after several months?
--
Gary

Will Fly for Food

Balplanman

join:2006-08-30
Newtown, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

I Googled "Ubee modem manual" and found a pdf from Charter for the U10c035 model (I assume this is what you have). The manual says the US and DS lights turn orange when channel bonding is in use.

Sounds like they went to Docsis 3.0 while you had the video paused. This potentially allows higher and more stable speeds.

Here's a link to the manual, see pg5:

»www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w···EoJjqDg&

wingspar
Premium
Oregon

From what I've managed to gather, the red light is nothing to be concerned about, but it would be nice if Charter had said this was going to happen. A red light appearing on the modem that has never been there before is Certainly cause for concern, and I'll wager that thousands were wondering what was going on. A simple thing like an email notice to customers would save stress on the customers, and lots of time and money on the part of Charter that they spend dealing with concerned customers.
--
Gary

Will Fly for Food

konzine

join:2011-04-24
Myrtle Creek, OR
reply to wingspar

If you're using the Doc3 Ubee modem, log into the Modem by accessing »192.168.100.1 in your browser.

Default log in using user for both the username and password. Go to downstream.

If all 4 rows are activated, and have a frequency, enjoy your stable blazing fast speeds

BadKornFlake

@charter.com
reply to wingspar

Taurus, Cork, and Balplan you guys are spot on. Very insightful and the direction is great appreciated.