spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mark2011
join:2010-03-13
Chicago, IL

mark2011

moxi or motorola

Right now I have a Moxi hd dvr but have been thinking of going back to the motorola dcx 3400 but also im so im about to get a hd tv
zed2608
Premium Member
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN

zed2608

Premium Member

i never liked the moxi id get the motrola
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to mark2011

to mark2011
death to all moxi's!! 3400 has a larger drive and is flat out more dependable.
mdglazerman
join:2010-03-31
New Baden, IL

mdglazerman to mark2011

to mark2011
I live near St. Louis and just had a multi-room DVR setup installed this past saturday and I got a Motorola DCX3501-M with a 500GB HDD as my main DVR with 2 DCX3200's as secondary receivers. My Father-In-Law had a MOXI years ago and it was clunky as hell. My install tech said that the new Motorola boxes were a big improvement on even the newest MOXI boxes and I have to say that so far, I'm pretty happy with mine.

Doc Casualty
join:2005-02-06
Harbor Springs, MI

4 edits

Doc Casualty

said by mdglazerman:

I live near St. Louis and just had a multi-room DVR setup installed this past saturday and I got a Motorola DCX3501-M with a 500GB HDD as my main DVR with 2 DCX3200's as secondary receivers.

Hey, give us some details. Is this the TIVO/Charter deal I read about a couple of months ago or another DVR option Charter has pursued? My local office said we might be getting "the new multi-room DVR, maybe this summer".

BTW, does that require a tech to install or can you just switch-out gear yourself?

---

Whoops, just saw this thread, sorry! [url]»Charter Multi-Room DVR (Motorola DCX3400m / DCX3300)
mdglazerman
join:2010-03-31
New Baden, IL

mdglazerman

This isn't the tivo that charter just announced although I did talk to the install tech about that deal and he seemed to think that WHEN they do roll that out, it will just be a straight switch for the new hardware when its available.

My setup is the newly available multi-room dvr system. I believe it uses MOCA technology which allows the secondary receivers to communicate with the primary dvr. You can watch, fast forward and rewind recorded tv on all units but you can only schedule, record and delete shows on the main dvr. All the receivers have tuners for live tv but currently you can only pause, rewind and fast forward live tv on the main dvr.

Once the charter feed was connected to my existing coax cables insidebthe house, it seems that all the tech had to do was add some kind of screw on adapter between each unit and the end of the coax cable. He said that let them all talk to each other.

If you have existing coax to the rooms you want it in, I don't see why it couldn't be done yourself. Of course there could be much more to it but I managed to get it installed for $20 so didn't waste my time even asking.

I don't really know much else about the technology but it seems to do its job and I'm very happy with it so far.

Hope that's answered a few more questions.

Doc Casualty
join:2005-02-06
Harbor Springs, MI

Doc Casualty

Yes, thank you, that's very helpful. I have three TVs hooked up with STBs now with good signals, so I doubt I'll require any additional wiring.

I'll just have to wait and see if they require a tech for install; maybe one of the techs can comment on that? Might just be a level of install that they require a tech to set it up to save themselves the hassle from the number of calls they would probably get from those less tech-savvy. I'm guessing that's why they required a tech to install MOXIs.

ch engineer
@charter.com

ch engineer to mdglazerman

Anon

to mdglazerman
I just got my DCX3501-m installed today. they talk to each other over the existing cable line inside the house and the part the technician must install is a trap on the line as it comes into the house. this prevents the "in house" network of cable boxes from talking with other boxes in other houses. so far this thing is real slick and works great. i have yet to dive into the esata port, but the technician did say that you can hook up a computer or external HD and pull content off to make DVDs or play elsewhere.
This should be fun!

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8

I don't think the part about pulling content off the DVR is correct.