MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to amungus

Re: why not

said by amungus:

From what I've read, the new satellite will provide speeds that don't suck.

They've been saying that for years, never happens. Part of the problem is "misery equilibrium." As soon as it improves any, more people pile onto it.
--
The obstruction of our energy infrastructure has led us into being the world's policeman.-Karl Denninger,market-ticker.org

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
True that they've been overpromising for years, but this new satellite may actually deliver... It's supposedly able to handle about 130 Gigabits/sec.

»www.viasat.com/broadband-satelli···viasat-1

If all goes as expected, it seems likely that Wildblue (and whoever else has contracted for bandwidth on this satellite) will actually be able to offer service that works reasonably well (obviously latency will still be high, but throughput would be improved...).

Last I read, it's expected to launch this summer and plans/equipment etc. will be available as soon as this fall...

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
said by amungus:

It's supposedly able to handle about 130 Gigabits/sec.

That sounds like a lot until you realize it's only 130,000 1Mb transfers.
--
The obstruction of our energy infrastructure has led us into being the world's policeman.-Karl Denninger,market-ticker.org

Sircolby45

join:2005-11-26
reply to amungus
said by amungus:

(obviously latency will still be high, but throughput would be improved...).

Which IMO makes it technically not "High Speed" internet. Sorry but satellite can never be a viable solution because of the latency. Trust me I use it at my parents house and the latency screws up everything.
--
[IMG]»img218.imageshack.us/img218/2636···3dg6.gif
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / Core i5 - 760 / GTX 460 1GB / 8GB DDR3 RAM / Vertex 2 120GB SSD