spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

user2351cox

@cox.net

[AZ] should I upgrade to a Docsis 3.0 cable modem?

I'm using a motorola SB5101N modem, purchased in late 2009, for my cable internet at home.

Cox is my ISP, and I am paying for the "premier" level of internet, which is download speeds with powerboost up to 27mbps, and upload speeds up to 6mbps.

In my recent speedtest.net results, I was getting ~16mbps download, ~11mbps upload, which isn't too bad.

The question is, would I benefit from going up to a Docsis 3.0 modem? For example, this deal was slightly tempting: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard $80 shipped from Amazon

I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether it makes any sense to dump money on a new modem, whether I'd see any actual benefits.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

IMO anyone on premier or above, and now has the access to D3 in there area. Getting a D3 modem is the smart thing to do. Because speeds will only go up, and premier speeds are pushing more closely to a single channels max.

cableguy619
Premium
join:2003-06-24
Chula Vista, CA
reply to user2351cox

Id make sure you get an 8 channel Docsis modem to future proof yourself. Stay away from the 6120 more peopel seem to have issues with it. See what Cox offers which I have a Cicso 8 channel D3

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

and many of us have no problems with the 6120.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Some of us also can't (easily) get Cisco modems outside of Ultimate. Just FYI encase you ask and they say no, like in my case.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to user2351cox

Do You need a new modem? Right Now? If not I'd say wait.
Cox AZ drastically reduced Powerboost speeds on April 21st, my D3 modem now has absolutely no advantage over my D2 modem. My Premier Speeds are now capped at 30Mbps, well within the range of my D2 modem (SB5120).

I do not suffer any prime-time performance issues with either modem.
If you do suffer from prime-time slow downs, a D3 modem "may" help.

The following graphic shows the Powerboost Reduction in peak download cap starting 4/21/11.

4/21/11 Powerboost Reduction, 30Mbps Cap

--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, XPSP3 Pro, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.085, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.103sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by BryanInPHX:

Do You need a new modem? Right Now? If not I'd say wait.
Cox AZ drastically reduced Powerboost speeds on April 21st, my D3 modem now has absolutely no advantage over my D2 modem. My Premier Speeds are now capped at 30Mbps, well within the range of my D2 modem (SB5120).

I do not suffer any prime-time performance issues with either modem.
If you do suffer from prime-time slow downs, a D3 modem "may" help.

The following graphic shows the Powerboost Reduction in peak download cap starting 4/21/11.

[Att=1]

If you see his post though, he said he was getting 16mbps on atleast a 22mbps premier connection. So it looks like that single channel hes using on his D2 modem, isn't even supplying him his speeds hes paying for. So a D3 modem would be a smart choice for him.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

2 edits

I doubt he will see an increase with a D3, hopefully he will purchase one and then complain that his DL did not go up.

50MB DL Before and After

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by BryanInPHX:

I doubt he will see an increase with a D3, hopefully he will purchase one and then complain that his DL did not go up.

Well then he has a valid point to complain then. I know the AZ market for cox has recently been having network speed issue's. But I am sure they will get this issues fixed for you guys. I know it sucks but you gotta have patients, and stay on top of things. Because things won't get fixed unless they(cox) are aware of the problem. The bigger problems can take awhile to fix sometimes, Just gotta hang in there, Because we are not that lucky to live in a perfect world . I know a little off subject, I just had to throw it in there. Buying a D3 modem isn't a bad choice for him though.

HalRogers

join:2001-10-02
Laguna Niguel, CA
reply to user2351cox

I just upgraded from SB5101N to SB6120, but also had the cox tech remove an amplifier that was really degrading the signal (which apparently is normal for signals that are otherwise okay).

In Orange County CA we don't have Docsis 3 service yet, so I didn't notice a difference, but I noticed a HUGE difference once a few connectors were changed from crimp (earlier Cox technology) to compression, and a splitter was changed out, but the biggest improvement came when the amplifier was removed.

With Amp: Typical DSLreport test just under 6 Mbits.
Without Amp: DSLreport tests from 23 to 27 mbits.

Bad science was involved however, the SB6120 was put in place of the 5101N but in fairness, the speeds weren't so hot with the SB6120 until that damn amplifier was removed.

And at control central, when I asked about the amps, I was told "Oh no, they don't interfere, they put them in to improve things"

Sorry, the AMP turned out to be the SOURCE of the problems at my location.