spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ozhawk
@uhc.com

ozhawk

Anon

Need help with Router / DSL connection

I had to reset my Netgear router because I had forgotten the login info and needed to replace a computer hooked up by wifi. The problem is that after using the smart wizard online and the disk that came with the router (finally found it)and many resets, power downs, etc I couldn't get the hardwired computer to connect to the internet. After calling CenturyLink (CenturyTEL)several times trying to figure out what was wrong they gave me the info below, but I don't have a clue as to what to do with it. I have been hooked up wirelessly since 2008 w/the same Netgear router.
If anyone could possibly help me with this I and my children would greatly appreciate it.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v7 router
My modem is a Netopia 3341-CTEL
(don't know if you need this, but one computer is running XP, one running Vista Home Premium, and one running Windows
7)
Here is the info from CenturyLink -

Our HSI connection settings are as follows:
VPI = 8
VCI = 35
Multiplexing = LLC-based
Encapsulation = Enet Encap (Sometimes referred to as Bridged)
We use DHCP over Ethernet

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

This should be fairly simple, if you only reset the router, and did nothing with the modem.

Reset the Netgear router to factory defaults. Connect the ethernet port on the modem to the WAN port on the router. Connect a PC to a LAN port on the router. At this point, the router should have picked up an IP address from the modem, and the PC should have picked up an IP address from the router. If you open a browser window, you should have an internet connection.

Log into the router and configure the wireless and check your other settings. The router should be setup to pull an IP by DHCP, and should have a public IP on the WAN port.

If you don't have internet, you will need to plug the PC directly into the modem and see what address it gets. The result of this will determine the next course of action.

ozhawk
@uhc.com

ozhawk to ozhawk

Anon

to ozhawk
Okay is there a next step to this process? I have both an LAN connection and a WAN connection, but can't get past the Netgear Smart Wizard. Do I need to do something else-
"If you don't have internet, you will need to plug the PC directly into the modem and see what address it gets. The result of this will determine the next course of action."
What is the next course of action. Are these settings supposed to go somewhere or what -
VPI = 8
VCI = 35
Multiplexing = LLC-based
Encapsulation = Enet Encap (Sometimes referred to as Bridged)
We use DHCP over Ethernet

Many Thanks
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to ozhawk

to ozhawk
Personally - I have never used a disk that came with a router - I log into it directly (usually at 192.168.1.1 at first). Then I use the routers interface to set things up the way I want.

If you have the WAN port of the router connected to the LAN port on the modem, you should have internet.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to ozhawk

MVM

to ozhawk
Is the modem bridged? Well, even if it is, sometimes it will assign a private IP address before it gets the public IP address. Netgear routers are notorious for choking when the IP address on the WAN port is in the same subnet as the default LAN IP address; and telcos are notorious for issuing gateways which assign a private IP address in that same subnet. I just walked a nearby friend through the same problem.

What I would do is not connect the router to the modem until I have the router configured as follows:

LAN IP address should be 192.168.n.1, where the value of 'n' is any decimal from '2' to '255'. The LAN subnet value should be, 255.255.255.0.

Once you have done that, power down the modem, and the router, then connect the Ethernet cord between the modem and the router WAN port. Power up the modem first, and wait for POST and the normal connection status on the lights, then power up the router. At this point, you should have your connection.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to ozhawk

to ozhawk
Embarq / Sprint /Centurylink modems use the 192.168.2.x subnet - at least the ones I have, making the safe 192.168.y.x, where y=0,1,3-254 (Y not equal 2).