spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TBW74
@comcast.net

TBW74

Anon

Hissing gas grill

I had the fairly common problem this spring when I hooked my Weber Spirit gas grill up - low flame. Was able to restore full flame by venting the regulator, but now I notice that there's a hissing noise coming from the regulator/tank as the grill operates that I don't recall hearing in years past. When I was reopening the tank valve after reconnecting the tank, I also smelled gas. Is that normal, or do I have a leak somewhere?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Smelling gas is never normal!

Clarify this point "able to restore full flame by venting the regulator"?

The regulator commonly found on propane BBQ's uses a diaphragm to control the gas flow, when operating normally it can make a buzzing or humming noise. This type of regulator also has a vent though it vents only air (much like the vent port on a loud speaker). For the regulator to function as designed this port has to be open and clear of debris, if it was blocked by grease or gunk and you cleared it out with a sharp object like a needle or wire you may have damaged the diaphragm inside.

Time to do a leak test - With the tank and control valves both off, go mix up some liquid dishwasher soap with water and apply it to all threaded surfaces, along the flexible hose and around the valves. Apply a dab of soapy water to the vent port on the regulator. Open the tank valve and observe the vent port, if it is blowing bubbles you need a replacement. Check all other joints for bubbles.

OPD tank valve has a built in flow restrictor that can become triggered if you try opening the tank valves while the burner valves are opened. In very cold conditions if the tank valve is rapidly opened with the burners off it still can be triggered. To correct this close the tank valve, check that all burners are off wait for a minute and then slowly open the tank valve. The tank valve also includes a system that stops the flow of gas if the valve is opened but not connected to an appliance, as well as an overfill float which could be triggered if the tank has been tipped over or is resting on uneven ground.

TBW74
@comcast.net

TBW74

Anon

I'd tried the soapy water test before of hose and connections, without results. This time, following your instructions, I daubed suds all over the regulator as well. When I turned on the propane, a large bubble formed around a tiny hole (port?) at the end of a channel coming out from the post at the center of the saucer-shaped regulator. Got whiff of gas again as well. There's a little rust around that opening, so it looks like it's time for a new regulator and hose. Thanks for the advice!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Click for full size
Failed & Fire
Good, just as well as you found it, a Weber is too nice a grill to get torched.

Here is a regulator that leaked and caught fire, the blue stuff was the plastic cap which normally would have been screwed in the center, and the white fluff is fire extinguisher residue.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

I converted my grill to natural, and never looked back. propane sucks.

-j
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

Propane is dangerous enough that the State of New Jersey has prohibited the use or storage of propane near (within 15 feet?) multiple-unit dwellings.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to tp0d

Premium Member

to tp0d
Natural gas is lighter then air, propane heavier, the latter has more energy per unit of mass however with the correct conversion kit either fuels cook about the same. BUT both are gases, both are flammable and explosive under the right conditions. (Makes a good case to switch over to charcoal )

NG hook-ups are nice because you never run out of gas half way through cooking a juicy T-bone steak. You don't have to deal with refills, expired tanks, trying to find a refill place, the skyrocketing propane refill prices, and transporting full or empty tanks.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by Thane_Bitter:

Natural gas is lighter then air, propane heavier, the latter has more energy per unit of mass however with the correct conversion kit either fuels cook about the same. BUT both are gases, both are flammable and explosive under the right conditions. (Makes a good case to switch over to charcoal )

Personally if given the choice I would go with natural gas for two reasons, it doesn’t soot up the cookware like propane and if used outdoors is safer as it doesn’t puddle.

Wayne
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
The state is concerned about leaking propane slithering into the building and blowing it up. If you blow up your own house, that's your problem. But the state doesn't want your neighbor blowing up your unit in a multi-unit building.

We had a building with propane construction heaters blow up. It destroyed 5 units, and damaged 7 more.
Bobcat79

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by Bobcat79:

We had a building with propane construction heaters blow up. It destroyed 5 units, and damaged 7 more.

Here's a pic of the resulting fire.

The firemen are spraying water on the building to keep it from catching on fire (all the vinyl siding melted off, as did the plastic taillights on the van to the right; every window in the adjacent building was broken, and a piece of a propane tank landed in one of the living rooms, burning the carpet). The panels next to the firemen are garage door panels that flew 50 feet from the other building (I found pieces of garage door hardware hundreds of feet away). There appears to be another explosion occurring in the second garage from the right. Also, it's hard to see, but one of the chimneys is laying in the middle of the parking lot.

Now you know why I don't like propane.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I've seen worse pictures of natural gas explosions. Usually there is nothing left standing.