uniqs
wmgeorge1
Premium Member
join:2011-03-29

wmgeorge1 to dmaul3300

Premium Member

to dmaul3300

Re: Ongoing Qwest DSL problems Des Moines IA Area

The new modem solved my issues for the most part. When the tech was out, he asked how fast to you want to run anyway? It is not the speed to the first Qwest connection which is what they should not be counting, it is the actual download speed doing the tracert Or trace route delays. My guess it is line issues most of the time and the new modem works better on poor lines. To have the tech tell you your computer is the fault is a big laugh!!
itslow
join:2010-05-10

itslow

I've been having issues here in Marshalltown for the past month as well. On a 5mb connection that consistently got in the 4.3-ish range, but now mostly fluctuates between the 0.9-2.4mb range with infrequent bursts back up to what I was getting previously.

TalkToUs stated that they are adding (or have) added capacity to the terminal. At first it was supposed to be at the beginning of April, then mid-April. Still no improvement on my end as of yet.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

said by itslow:

I've been having issues here in Marshalltown for the past month as well. On a 5mb connection that consistently got in the 4.3-ish range, but now mostly fluctuates between the 0.9-2.4mb range with infrequent bursts back up to what I was getting previously.

TalkToUs stated that they are adding (or have) added capacity to the terminal. At first it was supposed to be at the beginning of April, then mid-April. Still no improvement on my end as of yet.

Same thing in the Cedar Rapids area, and same response from Qwest. Ask for a billing credit. Last update I got from the executive offices said May 1 for a resolution date. I'll give it a few days after that and then I'm gonna let Mediacom buy out my contract, although I wonder if they are any better.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

said by wmgeorge1:

Frankly unless you complain and post nothing will get done. It is not a surprise that all the problems are being posted now, people are assuming "they" are the only ones having problems. They are thinking it must be my computer, like I told the first tech months ago, and did not get an answer... why when I had been a happy customer for years did I have a problem?? Now its my fault as I am expecting too much?

You are getting those speeds in WDM? Maybe you were sold those speeds, but actual and delivery are two entirely different things.

Honestly posting here instead of calling Qwest or going to a Qwest kiosk is useless. Talk to a tech, complain to a tech instead of posting.
said by UHF:

said by itslow:

Same thing in the Cedar Rapids area, and same response from Qwest. Ask for a billing credit. Last update I got from the executive offices said May 1 for a resolution date. I'll give it a few days after that and then I'm gonna let Mediacom buy out my contract, although I wonder if they are any better.

Before you go to mediacom you may want to look in the mediacom forum. They are having the same issues in CR that you are having with Qwest.
itslow
join:2010-05-10

itslow to UHF

to UHF
said by UHF:

...I'll give it a few days after that and then I'm gonna let Mediacom buy out my contract, although I wonder if they are any better.

Based on the experiences of friends who have Mediacom here in Marshalltown, the service is horribly unreliable. This past month is the only issue I've had with Qwest beyond the flaky, decades old, buried line to the house which was quickly remedied. I'm not so eager to switch to Mediacom despite the faster advertised speeds.
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas to wmgeorge1

Premium Member

to wmgeorge1
The problem is Qwest is overselling and is illegal by the FCC they will not improve the service We got a new DSLAM in but that didn't fix it, the gateway is still overloaded and trace routes time out.... Still waiting for a fix I've emailed the TalkToUs nobody responds hmmmmm I've emailed twice....

Nicholas
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC

said by Technicholas:

The problem is Qwest is overselling and is illegal by the FCC they will not improve the service We got a new DSLAM in but that didn't fix it, the gateway is still overloaded and trace routes time out.... Still waiting for a fix I've emailed the TalkToUs nobody responds hmmmmm I've emailed twice....

Nicholas

ALL residential ISPs oversell. That's what makes your connection sub-$100/mo.

FCC doesn't regulate internet access, so they really can't do anything about it. If oversubscription were illegal, pretty much every ISP would be subject to penalties.

The issue at hand is more than likely an unreasonable amount of oversubscription.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3

Premium Member

said by BlueC:

ALL residential ISPs oversell. That's what makes your connection sub-$100/mo.

Agree with this. Had RCN back in Chicago and have been told numerous times that receiving 50-60% of the advertised fees is acceptable within RCN parameters and not enough to terminate contracts early, as that's written in. I was on their 10mbps line at the time and I wanted the 10, or close to. I was told to upgrade to the 20mbps tier if I wanted the 10 speeds. Haha, good thinking!
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas

Premium Member

»www.thonline.com/mobile/ ··· d=319758