share rss forum feed

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Looking for the best on-demand antivirus

I don't run antivirus all the time but once in a while I install it, scan my system and then uninstall it again.

I haven't done it in a while and haven't kept up with the latest AV technology.

Can anyone recommend the best software for on-demand system scan? In this case "the best" means highest detection rate and to be able completely uninstall it without causing any problems. I don't care about memory/CPU consumption. Has to be a free product or something with free trial.

Also, should I consider using multiple products for this? AV, anti-keylogger, anti-rootkit, etc?

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
try some of the online scanners provided by Eset, Kaspersky, TrendMicro

and yes there is no best AV on-demand or otherwise

Cudni

micofide

join:2010-08-18
reply to JoeSchmoe007
You should definitely use multiple products. My recommendations are: Antivir (for viruses/worms/trojans/spyware), Malwarebytes (for more worms/trojans/spyware), and GMER (for rootkits). That combination should be able to catch all the nasties out there.

The cycle of installing/uninstalling sounds like a tedious one to me. Why don't you just install it, disable all active components, and update/scan whenever you want?

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
> disable all active components

That would be nice. Assuming you can identify the components, & then actually disable them - without breaking things.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to JoeSchmoe007
(Don't know about best, but ...)

Free eScan AntiVirus Toolkit Utility (MWAV)

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Kaspersky has (maybe it is now, had?) one. AVP I believe it was called.

Other A/V vendors too have free on-demand scanners.

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to JoeSchmoe007
»www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

Try Hitman Pro.

It's a cloud scanner that uses 5 anti virus scanners. No software is installed. You just download the Hitman program and run it. Nothing is installed. All the work is done one the server side. It's free to scan but you will have to pay to remove anything it finds. If you do find malware you can always start the free 30 day trial to remove the malware.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1
reply to JoeSchmoe007

alternative

@sbcglobal.net
reply to JoeSchmoe007
Maybe a Bootable Disc would work best for you.
Kaspersky Rescue disk is very good
Avira AntiVir Rescue System is very good
AVG Rescue CD is also good
Another alternative Would be using a USB stick with
Dr. Web Cureit,Norman Maleware Cleaner, or Clam portable
All items are free and you don't have to Install/uninstall

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to JoeSchmoe007
You could use the Full Free Prevx SafeOnline »www.prevx.com/safebook.asp that will protect your online credentials from Keyloggers and more! It will remove Adware and the MBR Rootkit for free and give you detection of other malware and you could use other free tools to remove the infections that you come across and the Program download is just over 1MB and very light on any system! Also works with both 32bit and 64bit systems! More info here about SafeOnline »www.prevx.com/safeonline.asp but download from other link!

HTH,

TH
--
Triple Helix - VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™) - Official Prevx Support Forum Helper!

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to Stem Bolt
said by Stem Bolt:

»www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

Try Hitman Pro.

It's a cloud scanner that uses 5 anti virus scanners. No software is installed. You just download the Hitman program and run it. Nothing is installed. All the work is done one the server side. It's free to scan but you will have to pay to remove anything it finds. If you do find malware you can always start the free 30 day trial to remove the malware.

Actually you can run and scan with it as long as you want and it does install on the machine only the Beta's don't install, then if you need to remove malware you can activate the 30 day trial license! I use it myself and on family and friends computers!

TH
--
Triple Helix - VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™) - Official Prevx Support Forum Helper!

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to JoeSchmoe007
I use SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes' AntiMalware, Spybot S&D, The Cleaner, and Windows' Malicious Remover Tool (mrt.exe), etc. as my on-demand scanners and cleaners at home.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to micofide
said by micofide:

You should definitely use multiple products. My recommendations are: Antivir (for viruses/worms/trojans/spyware), Malwarebytes (for more worms/trojans/spyware), and GMER (for rootkits). That combination should be able to catch all the nasties out there.

The cycle of installing/uninstalling sounds like a tedious one to me. Why don't you just install it, disable all active components, and update/scan whenever you want?

I must report negative experience with GMER - I started it yesterday before going home and this morning computer was unresponsive, screen was black.