spc
uniqs
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to Riusaki

to Riusaki

Re: And so it begins....

said by Riusaki:

Welcome to the United Corporations of America.

Make sure to have lots of lube.

What is wrong with that? Nothing. I am glad the court ruled the way they did
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

2 recommendations

88615298 (banned)

said by 40757180:

said by Riusaki:

what's wrong with corporations running American and Americans losing their rights? Please leave the US.
40757180 (banned)

1 recommendation

40757180 (banned)

said by 88615298:

said by 40757180:

said by Riusaki:

what's wrong with corporations running American and Americans losing their rights? Please leave the US.

The only thing this lawsuit did was make lawyers pocket fatter. Nothing else. If this is such a bad ruling, i am sure the public can get congress to pass new law banning arbitration.

wdoa
join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

wdoa to 40757180

to 40757180
Corporate Shill, what a surprise.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to 40757180

to 40757180
Hmm... I wish that I could make myself work like a corporation. Anyone attempting to sue me would have to end up in arbitration.

Personally dislike frivolous lawsuits that only exist to waste time, transfer money from party A to B (whether they deserve it or not). Eg Kid rides a bike down a dark road, crashes and sues the bike manufacturer for not providing a warning label on riding on a dark road.

I am against corporate fraud - eg. Misrepresenting a product so that it can sell more and run the competition into the ground (eg. MS vs. Netscape back in the day).

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

The only thing this lawsuit did was make lawyers pocket fatter. Nothing else. If this is such a bad ruling, i am sure the public can get congress to pass new law banning arbitration.

That's probably where it needs to head.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by David:

said by 40757180:

That law would be unconstitutional. It would take a constitutional amendment to overturn the high court.

Remember this is a contract between two willing parties. If one party doesn't like it he can change the language no law needed. One can get POTS without a contract.

I know what you are going to say the corporation will not agree to the change. Let me say this about that. I bought a new car a little over two years ago. Ford was desperate dealers were desperate. They took over $8,000 off a $30,000 sticker. Before I signed I struck out the clause about binding arbitration. "Oh you can't do that." OK no problem I'll look elsewhere. "No wait, let me check with my manager." Car sold.

A word of caution do not try this with the IRS by striking out that you are signing under penalty of perjury.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

2 recommendations

NOCMan

Premium Member

I doubt AT&T would care about the 5 customers a year that would try to do this.

People need to realize that our rights are being eroded every day. Our country is slowly becoming a corpratist dictatorship. Republicans cant win an election, fine figure out how to disqualify voters, make it nearly impossible to vote etc. Cause new voters who are sick of the status quo probably wont vote republican this round after all the crap they promised has not come to pass.

Congress passing a law beneficial to consumers? Please when did that last happen. Was it in 2008 when credit card companies could now get money from bankrupt customers eliminating that whole concept of "Unsecured Debt", or maybe it was the Bankruptcy reform that made it more difficult to file bankruptcy, and you have to wait longer to do so after a bankruptcy. All of this right before our economy went to $hit. This government helps those who have the most money, and oh wait, yeah in 2010 the supreme court on the same vote line, voted to allow corporations and PAC's to be able to contribute unlimited money to a candidate.

The regular people are limited to 2500 dollars spread across any election even your mayor.

I guess if I want to donate unlimited money I have to go out and get a LLC done.

Wake up people. The Rich are in control and they're doing everything in their power to make sure it stays that way and that they get even more of "Their Share." It's the same group of people who will be able to live in another country after they've sucked us dry.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned) to batterup

to batterup
said by batterup:

said by David:

said by 40757180:

That law would be unconstitutional. It would take a constitutional amendment to overturn the high court.

Remember this is a contract between two willing parties. If one party doesn't like it he can change the language no law needed. One can get POTS without a contract.

I know what you are going to say the corporation will not agree to the change. Let me say this about that. I bought a new car a little over two years ago. Ford was desperate dealers were desperate. They took over $8,000 off a $30,000 sticker. Before I signed I struck out the clause about binding arbitration. "Oh you can't do that." OK no problem I'll look elsewhere. "No wait, let me check with my manager." Car sold.

A word of caution do not try this with the IRS by striking out that you are signing under penalty of perjury.

Court didn't rule it was in violation of the constitution, court ruled under the law corporation can have arbitration clause. All congress would have to do is ban arbitration clause.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
It means you also lose, even when you are right.

You get screwed, you lose.

You fight it, you lose.

You go to court, you lose.

When all legal recourse is exhausted, all that remains is illegal recourse.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

Court didn't rule it was in violation of the constitution, court ruled under the law corporation can have arbitration clause. All congress would have to do is ban arbitration clause.

True but you know that the SCOTUS will have to rule on that. Remember these are contracts willingly entered into for nonessential unregulated services.

I have POTS, town water, natural gas and electricity and I did not have to agree not to sue to get them. In fact it is the law that they have to supply them as long as I pay my bill. In fact gas and electric can't be shut off in the winter even if I don't pay my bill.

Ma Bell is dead and yet the people bitch.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

said by Riusaki:

So you think corporations should have more rights than citizens???
Really?
It is an American's right to a court trial in cases of being wronged.
This supreme court ruling is anti-american citizen.
r81984

r81984 to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup
This would never work as with most companies you do not sign anything and they have clauses to change their terms at any time.

I have never signed paperwork for any of my ATT services.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
Right up until you forfeit your rights the next time you have to sign an offer letter at work, buy a service that doesn't work, or buy anything with an TOS agree button.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

This would never work as with most companies you do not sign anything and they have clauses to change their terms at any time.

I have never signed paperwork for any of my ATT services.

People check the box that they agree with whatever it is they didn't read just like when they install software.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned) to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by 40757180:

said by Riusaki:

So you think corporations should have more rights than citizens???
Really?
It is an American's right to a court trial in cases of being wronged.
This supreme court ruling is anti-american citizen.

It's simple, they agree to such contract. They are not forced to get service from at&t and many do not. Same thing with other company, you're not forced to sign contract with them. So why should such language be illegal in the contract?

40757180 (banned) to xrobertcmx

to xrobertcmx
said by xrobertcmx:

Right up until you forfeit your rights the next time you have to sign an offer letter at work, buy a service that doesn't work, or buy anything with an TOS agree button.

You can decline to accept that job unless they change contract. Why should company be prohibited from writing such contract?
thecp
join:2004-07-15
Sacramento, CA

thecp to 40757180

to 40757180
I really need to invent an antibiotic lipstick for people who can do nothing but kiss the asses of behemoth corporations. A lot of people are stuck only with ATT for internet and if you want anything better than dial-up speeds you will pretty much have to go into a contract.

And if you want anything significant in your life like having a car, a house, insurance, etc. Or even trivial things like software, games, etc. then there's a whole 'nother slew of contracts.

Companies know that most customers don't have the time and/or have the expertise to properly dissect a contract so these corporations and their army of lawyers deliberately make them convoluted and hard-to-read.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
You hate the people of America, i can feel it. You have LUST for Corporations. YOU HATE AMERICA!
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by M A R S:

You hate the people of America, i can feel it. You have LUST for Corporations. YOU HATE AMERICA!

No its called rule of LAW. All supreme court did was declare that law permits company to have arbitration clause and overturn those judges that say they do not. Congress can always change that, that is how our country works.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

said by 40757180:

said by M A R S:

No its called rule of LAW. All supreme court did was declare that law permits company to have arbitration clause and overturn those judges that say they do not. Congress can always change that, that is how our country works.

You hate the people of America and until you figure out why your lost.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup
I hate to tell you but you need to study up on the House of Reps and the power they have over the Supreme Court. However, the Reps can actually pass legislation that DOES over-rule the SC. It's only been done once in history so far, and most recently tossed around during the Bush Jr. administration as an option if the Supreme Court were to "allow" same-sex marriage.

So, I'm sorry, but such a law, if passed using the correct methods in the House of Reps, can actually become the law of the land.

I forget the name of this rule, but I'm sure google will turn up some results. I BELIEVE that the first and only time this was used was related to "gun rights" during the civil war time.
40757180 (banned)

40757180 (banned)

said by fiberguy2:

I hate to tell you but you need to study up on the House of Reps and the power they have over the Supreme Court. However, the Reps can actually pass legislation that DOES over-rule the SC. It's only been done once in history so far, and most recently tossed around during the Bush Jr. administration as an option if the Supreme Court were to "allow" same-sex marriage.

So, I'm sorry, but such a law, if passed using the correct methods in the House of Reps, can actually become the law of the land.

I forget the name of this rule, but I'm sure google will turn up some results. I BELIEVE that the first and only time this was used was related to "gun rights" during the civil war time.

It's called constitutional amendment and it been done many times. There is no other way to pass a law that overrules us supreme court.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

I hate to tell you but you need to study up on the House of Reps and the power they have over the Supreme Court.

I'll try to keep this simple. The US of A has three branches of government. Executive, legislative (upper and lower house) and the SCOTUS. For a bill to become a law requires the House of Reps and the Senate to pass it by 51% and the president to sign it. If the president vetoes it it still can become law if both houses pass it by a 75% vote.

If the SCOTUS declares a law unconstitutional the only way it can become law is with a constitutional amendment. This is 5th grade civics.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to en102

Premium Member

to en102
Um didn't the Supremes just determine that you can, under the Federal Arbitration Act?

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

Because the corporations give millions upon millions to everyone in DC so chances of such a law passing are zero to nil....whoever the party
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to batterup

to batterup
So are you claiming this ruling gives corps the constitutionally protected right of binding arbitration?

I did not read the ruling and probably wont, but did they find this to be AT&T's constitutional right to do this or did they just say that they are within current law to include it and the lower courts were incorrect in their reasoning for not allowing it?
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

It's simple, they agree to such contract. They are not forced to get service from at&t and many do not. Same thing with other company, you're not forced to sign contract with them. So why should such language be illegal in the contract?

There are those things called unsconcionable rights, if I recall. One cannot sell himself into slavery, no matter what the corporate crooks want you to believe.

Or is it ok for me to have a few slaves to work my garden and slave girls to keep me entertained just because I tricked them into signing some paper and that paper says that my buddy John will be the "arbitrator" of any dispute ? The laws against slavery should not apply on my land since we have this "agreement" between "willing" parties, right ?

So should be the right to sue. "Parallel" orgs accountable to only crooks exist, as "arbitrators" or homeowners associations that erode the rights of duly elected governments and citizens.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

So are you claiming this ruling gives corps the constitutionally protected right of binding arbitration?

I did not read the ruling and probably wont, but did they find this to be AT&T's constitutional right to do this or did they just say that they are within current law to include it and the lower courts were incorrect in their reasoning for not allowing it?

The ruling states that it can be in a contract it does not force anyone to agree to it. In fact if force is used the contract would be null and void.

Let me give it to you cold and hard; a residential or small business subscriber is low ROI and if they don't get one no big deal. So if one doesn't agree to arbitration most likely no service except POTS.

Now a Bloomberg or the State of New Jersey is a large ROI and they negotiate their own contracts.

This is an example; a small, very small, 10 x10 mom and pop store that sells cigarettes, newspapers and lottery tickets has his land line go out at 2 AM. He will be given a 24 hour time frame for repair. Now if his lottery machine goes out a tech would be dispatched immediately because the machines are under contract to the state.

This ruling just says a company can put whatever is legal in a contract and a subscriber has the right to agree to it, change it, or not sign it. These are not vital regulated services.

I find it much more disturbing that they can change the language of the agreement or cut off your service for any reason. This has not been challenged because there is no money in it for the ambulance chasers.
batterup

batterup to WernerSchutz

Premium Member

to WernerSchutz
said by WernerSchutz:

There are those things called unsconcionable rights, if I recall. One cannot sell himself into slavery, no matter what the corporate crooks want you to believe.

Easy one cannot contract for that which is illegal; if you contract to have Cuban cigars shipped into the US of A and Fidel takes your money and does not deliver you have no legal recourse.

Arbitration is a legal recognised process and has been around for a long time. Many times both parties want it; Unions and management are two.