how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TURBO1112

join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

Channel currently unavailable

I had a tech come out today, and he swapped my old HD pace box, for a newer one. Love this, becuase the new box has HDMI. The problem is when I try to watch MLB Network in HD it "MLB HD is currently unavailable".

It worked perfectly fine when the tech was here. Even watched it for 30 minutes or so after he left. Then the error occurred. My other HD channels seem fine. Watching ESPN HD right now. Any ideas?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

said by TURBO1112:

I had a tech come out today, and he swapped my old HD pace box, for a newer one. Love this, becuase the new box has HDMI. The problem is when I try to watch MLB Network in HD it "MLB HD is currently unavailable".

It worked perfectly fine when the tech was here. Even watched it for 30 minutes or so after he left. Then the error occurred. My other HD channels seem fine. Watching ESPN HD right now. Any ideas?

Turbo its probably because your paperwork hasn't hit your account and he gave you a hot box. I don't think hot boxes cover PPV channels as well (Hot boxes are boxes with most channel tiers enabled to allow tech testing prior to the box being activated on a specific account). What you can do is call and see if your box is actually listed on your equipment as activated. If it isn't you can supply the rep on the phone your box address and they can activate it immediately.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

If the box wasnt on the account it should offer "to recive this channel call customer care at......" sort of message.

What kind of box did they give you?

Press and hold the volume up (on the box itself) and info button at the same time for about 5 seconds, a screen full of signals should pop up, look towards the bottom and there will be a line that says something to effect of "rdc power". Will you tell me what that number says?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

said by tim tim tim:

If the box wasnt on the account it should offer "to recive this channel call customer care at......" sort of message.

Press and hold the volume up (on the box itself) and info button at the same time for about 5 seconds, a screen full of signals should pop up, look towards the bottom and there will be a line that says something to effect of "rdc power". Will you tell me what that number says?

True... I made an assumption that it probably said that and it's probably what he meant to say. Dangerous assumption but more likely if they didn't touch anything related to his wiring...
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

TURBO1112

Dade City, FL
reply to tim tim tim

said by tim tim tim:

Its 49.0 dBmV. The box I got is Explorer 4250HDC.

Although it is working fine at the moment.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

keep an eye on what it does. Generally that message appears because your request isnt getting out for that channel. It could have been coincidence that there was another issue causing that (head end or something). If it does it again, I would put in a call because there can be multiple causes of the issue. With a 49 transmit (wouldnt hurt to check that a few more times at random to make sure its not jumping around) there is no reason the channels shouldnt come in.

Cable Guy2

join:2011-03-30
reply to TURBO1112

If its 49 dbmv on the diagnostics of the 4250, a technicians meter will most likely read @ 57 - 59 dbmv in the field and a tech will most likely have to come out and troubleshoot your high return issues. There is typically a 8 - 10 dbmv difference in meter and stb diagnostic readings and if the tech can get your return @ 50 or lower in the field with his meter you will see your 4250 read @ 40 - 42 dbmv and your issues should go away.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

1 edit

Your correct about the box reading lower than the meter but i disagree that the box number is incorrect. The boxes can theoretically transmit at a 60 tx according to its.reading. we just keep it at 55 to keep it reliable. There is absolutely no reason there should be an issue when the box is reading 49.

Cable Guy2

join:2011-03-30

1 edit

Sorry tim, wasn't doubting you! It's just been my experience that keeping the "field measured" return at 50 or below gives you some additional head room when the signal fluctuates or an AGC fails and the signal takes a dip. Some boxes can push more return than others, even different STB's of the same model number can all act a little differently in regards to return. I'm just a big believer in keeping the field measured return no higher than @ 52, any higher and I get nervous for what may happen after I leave. My supervisor argued with me on this, stating that leaving a return on a stb of @ 57 was acceptable. He was upset on my use of 9 port evo's to bring the return down to under 50 in these situations, stating that burning an evo to save 6 on the return was wasting the evo and also expensive. He didn't argue after finding my repeat rate was 6% lower than anyone in all 3 regions over here in Brevard. I stated to him, whats more expensive - putting an evo in place or leaving the return @ 57 and having to go back 6% more often PER tech? He's never argued with me since.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

Of.course that's ideal to leave numbers like that but its just not always possible. Boxes are pretty robust with there transmitting though. The qpsk is very hard to affect by noise and they can transmit at a 60 according to there number which would put the reading on the meter around a 65 I would guess. It was a bhn engineer who informed me about them able to tx at 60 too. I would never leave one near that high though

Regardless, I highly doubt this guys issue is transmit related

k2rj
Premium
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL
reply to TURBO1112

said by TURBO1112:

Did it say "Press A to Try Again"? If so, it was an SDV problem (no bandwidth available or something like that.)

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

its VERY rare that there isnt enough bandwidth, I cant say I have ever seen it. Its USUALLY transmit related, in this case id have to guess that there was an issue in the head end or some sort of work being done there.

They keep a very close monitor on available bandwidth and i dont think I have ever seen the SDV usage over 70%. As soon as it gets anywhere close to even 3/4 full they would start switching channels around

TURBO1112

Dade City, FL
reply to TURBO1112

No it didnt say press "A". When I would switch to it, it would just be blank screen for a few seconds, then tell me its unavailable.

Its still working fine now, so its all good