Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to justin

Re: site user password intrusion info

My only recieved the initial email telling me that my account was compromised. I never received any password reset or initial instructions on resetting my account.

Even doing a manual forgotten password page failed to get me an email response.

I had to email justin personally.

I don't know what was up with that, so maybe others are having a similar issue?

Premium
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ
kudos:3
reply to jig

said by jig:

is there a chance someone logged into your account and deleted the email before you saw it? do you have login logs you can access?

I guess it is possible. Not sure why someone would log into that email account and only delete that one email.

Like I said. Other than having to reset my password a couple times I am unaffected as I use different passwords on all of my online accounts..
--
Sarcasm, confusing stupid people since 1869
Expand your moderator at work

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to 10825447

sorry if i haven't followed your circumstances completely - if this one account used the same password, and you didn't get the email, then someone could have been able to login and get access to your password reset information and left it for later, covering their tracks as best they could. not very likely, i guess. if your email service allows you to access plaintext answers to your security questions (mine does not), for example, then there's an insecurity issue there.

you may have some upstream filters that considered the initial email spam. other than that, a mistake as to what email address we're talking about, or an accidental delete from you, there's not much else to consider....
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

My only recieved the initial email telling me that my account was compromised. I never received any password reset or initial instructions on resetting my account.

There were instructions in the first email. Form this thread - very few have had any issue and of course - be sure it is not sent to a spam folder.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

DataRiker
Premium

said by CylonRed:

said by DataRiker:

There were instructions in the first email. Form this thread - very few have had any issue and of course - be sure it is not sent to a spam folder.

No, it wasn't in my spam folder. Justin had to send me the initial reset password, as the instructions in the email failed.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

So - you did get instruction in the initial email? You seemed to say the instructions were not there.

quote:
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

DataRiker
Premium

3 edits

Well, as I stated since they didn't work, I assumed they were not correct. I should have said "working" instructions.

Obviously.

Also, I still don't receive emails when I change my password. It always states "please use the email account that you signed up with" I no longer have that account, and have updated my profile to reflect that.

When I emailed justin personally he said the emails show they sent to my account, but as of today the only email i've ever received is the one telling me my account had been compromised. Strange, I know.

I'm stuck in some kind of DSLR black hole.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to justin

Hey Gang,

I actually noticed this thread a few days ago, but figured since my old password was still working, that I must be okay. Since then, I have found Justin's mail in my inbox. (I use my work email daily, but DSLR is linked to my personal email.)

My password didn't get automatically reset. Everything else was fine. I have successfully reset my password (this took a couple of attempts and maybe I typoed). Everything is cool.

Mostly, I'm impressed that you caught this while it was in progress!
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Cape Cod, MA -- KE1MO
Tweet! Tweet! -- »twitter.com/funchords

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

2 edits

1 recommendation

And thus the original purpose of this thread. To help people who's accounts may have been compromised, and not for the purpose of giving justin a severe beating.
Glad you seem to be all set, funchords.

(Edit) Just thought I'd add that while I'm sure this has been no fun for anyone, it was a wake up call for many of us. In my case, it caused me to re-examine all of my passwords (something long overdue), and change a few of them in the process...including this one.
Don't mind me, just trying to look on the bright side.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

piith
Premium
join:2002-01-20
Medford, OR
reply to justin

I don't check my email that often, but just read it today.

I don't want to try and think up another PW every week so lets hope this doesn't happen again
--
I am Not There I do Not Sleep

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

Well, as I stated since they didn't work, I assumed they were not correct. I should have said "working" instructions.

Obviously.

Obvious only to you... We can only go by what you post.
--
Brian

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to justin

SPAM Increase on Hacked Email

This morning, I noticed a large increase in the number of spam emails I get on my hacked address. In fact, I usually did not get any spam on this email address before this week. Is this happening to anyone else?
--
CRUNCH THIS!

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

said by ROCINANTE:

This morning, I noticed a large increase in the number of spam emails I get on my hacked address. In fact, I usually did not get any spam on this email address before this week. Is this happening to anyone else?

No spam on mine. But I have Verizon, which has excellent spam filters.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

I have a private domain, so it looks like I will have to turn them on via Surpass.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
reply to ROCINANTE

My email address that was compromised was only used for this site so I would have a good idea if there was any change in it from the intrusion. I have not received ANY spam to that email address.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

Ditto. For what it is worth, I have had no discernible increase in SPAM to the email address that was stolen. I changed passwords everywhere I could find where I needed to, so I have had no backlash from this event. And it certainly has changed the way I look at passwords!!

jhboricua_me

@dorsey.com

Mods, this is jhboricua. I tried to use the password reset route for my id but when I went to login to my hotmail account, which I hardly use these days but is the account I pressume I used to set my DSLR login years ago, I was informed that it was being blocked. So apparently my hotmail account was also compromised.

Furthermore, the only way their system allows for unblocking is via a SMS message to the cellphone in their records. However, in my case the cell number they have for me is a very outdated one (from 2003 or so). So I can't retreive the code to unlock the email account. There is no other method provided to unblock my hotmail account and no alternate support route either. So it looks like my hotmail account is done for.

Can someone work with me in providing an alternate means to reset the password for my DSLR login?

jhboricua_me

@dorsey.com
reply to jhboricua_me

Re: SPAM Increase on Hacked Email

Apologies for the double post, I thought the post above timed out so I opened my own thread on this forum.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to ROCINANTE

said by ROCINANTE:

Not me, I'm happy to report.

johnnyboy24

join:2002-04-07
Bayonne, NJ
reply to justin

Well, I am included in the 8%. Am I mad, yes, but its not directed towards this site in anyway.

This place was possibly the last place I used that password, so it makes no difference to me. Plus the email address, although accurate, is shutting down its doors in around a month.

So in the end, for me anyway, its doesn't matter. Justin did the right thing and he should be praised for that.

On another note, I just took a look at my join date: