Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5

Premium Member

said by nwrickert:

Is there any chance that was the email discussed here:
»PayPal Email...your enhanced account statement is here

No..not exactly. But it contains some of whats in that one.
Mine has a different subject heading and it contains the section about the Electronic Communications Delivery Policy..but other than that nothing about the enhanced account statement.

Could definitely be the same group though given the similarity with the electronic communication delivery policy wording.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert

Mod

You might have received a phish. It's good that you were suspicious.

Unfortunately, paypal is not very good at identifying phish. I have seen a number of reports of mail that actually came from paypal, and when submitted to paypal they wrongly identified it as phish.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by nwrickert:

You might have received a phish. It's good that you were suspicious.

A former co-worker of mine panicked one day when he rec'd an e-mail to "hisname@employer.com" and said "but my eBay account is tied to my home e-mail". I told him "ignore it" but he couldn't drop it. He failed to grasp that it was a phishing attempt. Kept asking "how did they get my email and how do they know I have an eBay account ?".

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by Hall:

Kept asking "how did they get my email and how do they know I have an eBay account ?".

Many people fall for that. I guess it's a matter of wanting to feel that they are special.

When the scammer sends out millions of copies, then by random luck he will be right some of the time.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

"random luck" or *coincidence* doesn't factor in with this person... It HAD to be legitimate, as far as they think !

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
If it wasn't for people like your co-worker, average folks like you and I wouldn't look so good!

peterdmar
join:2001-01-29
San Francisco, CA

peterdmar to justin

to justin
Because of this problem, my Hotmail account was compromised and was used to spam people on my contact list. I made a mistake of using the same password on both my Hotmail account and here at DSL Reports. People on my contact list told me that they were receiving spams from my Hotmail account. Some of them were just simple spam plus others are malicious and virus infested ones. I've immediately login to to my various accounts and change each of them to a different passwords. Luckily for all of my financial places, I've uses a much more sophisticated passwords and wasn't compromised.

Doing it this way would mean it's more difficult to remember all of those different passwords. For me, I've typed it all on a Word document and then passwords saved it as WinRAR file using an easy to remember password.

AR

join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON

1 edit

AR to justin

to justin
Spam was sent again today to my hotmail contact list.

I had deleted the contacts off my hotmail account the last time when i changed the password. So obviously, they grabbed the entire contact list and spoofed my email address to send this out. Again.

Geez.......

This happen to anyone else too today?

edit: Not my entire contact list from before....just the 3 contacts that were added to my hotmail contact list since the last incident. I changed up the password again today.

scott0531
@cox.net

scott0531 to justin

Anon

to justin
Is there someone I can talk to about getting my original username/account back? I tried e-mailing Justin a while back but never got an answer. I'd really like to continue to use my original account. TIA.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

cabana

Mod

Please email accounts@dslreports.com and we will get you fixed up.

Thanks