40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to r81984

to r81984

Re: And so it begins....

said by r81984:

said by 40757180:

said by Riusaki:

Welcome to the United Corporations of America.

Make sure to have lots of lube.

What is wrong with that? Nothing. I am glad the court ruled the way they did

So you think corporations should have more rights than citizens???
Really?
It is an American's right to a court trial in cases of being wronged.
This supreme court ruling is anti-american citizen.

It's simple, they agree to such contract. They are not forced to get service from at&t and many do not. Same thing with other company, you're not forced to sign contract with them. So why should such language be illegal in the contract?
thecp
join:2004-07-15
Sacramento, CA

thecp

I really need to invent an antibiotic lipstick for people who can do nothing but kiss the asses of behemoth corporations. A lot of people are stuck only with ATT for internet and if you want anything better than dial-up speeds you will pretty much have to go into a contract.

And if you want anything significant in your life like having a car, a house, insurance, etc. Or even trivial things like software, games, etc. then there's a whole 'nother slew of contracts.

Companies know that most customers don't have the time and/or have the expertise to properly dissect a contract so these corporations and their army of lawyers deliberately make them convoluted and hard-to-read.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to 40757180

to 40757180
said by 40757180:

It's simple, they agree to such contract. They are not forced to get service from at&t and many do not. Same thing with other company, you're not forced to sign contract with them. So why should such language be illegal in the contract?

There are those things called unsconcionable rights, if I recall. One cannot sell himself into slavery, no matter what the corporate crooks want you to believe.

Or is it ok for me to have a few slaves to work my garden and slave girls to keep me entertained just because I tricked them into signing some paper and that paper says that my buddy John will be the "arbitrator" of any dispute ? The laws against slavery should not apply on my land since we have this "agreement" between "willing" parties, right ?

So should be the right to sue. "Parallel" orgs accountable to only crooks exist, as "arbitrators" or homeowners associations that erode the rights of duly elected governments and citizens.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by WernerSchutz:

There are those things called unsconcionable rights, if I recall. One cannot sell himself into slavery, no matter what the corporate crooks want you to believe.

Easy one cannot contract for that which is illegal; if you contract to have Cuban cigars shipped into the US of A and Fidel takes your money and does not deliver you have no legal recourse.

Arbitration is a legal recognised process and has been around for a long time. Many times both parties want it; Unions and management are two.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to WernerSchutz

Premium Member

to WernerSchutz
said by WernerSchutz:

That will be struck down next week, it's been appealed as we speak.
genzoulv
join:2004-10-05
Las Vegas, NV

genzoulv to thecp

to thecp
He does make a good point. You don't need ATT's shitty service, so don't get it. There are other cell providers you know. They have a right to draw up whatever contract they want. If you're dumb enough to sign it without reading it first; then you just screwed yourself and you get what you deserve. :P

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by genzoulv:

He does make a good point. You don't need ATT's shitty service, so don't get it. There are other cell providers you know. They have a right to draw up whatever contract they want. If you're dumb enough to sign it without reading it first; then you just screwed yourself and you get what you deserve. :P

The problem is no one has to sign anything.
It can all be verbal over the phone and they do not even ask if you agree to the TOS.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to genzoulv

Premium Member

to genzoulv
said by genzoulv:

He does make a good point. You don't need ATT's shitty service, so don't get it. There are other cell providers you know.

Really? So in the last 2 locations I lived at....where I only had the choice of 2 providers at each....I could magically have choosen OTHER providers?

I know, people then say things like "Move then..." which I did and now have FiOS and love it.But moving costs a LOT and is in fact a big deal.

The fact that major cities can have so many locations where choices are NOT as many as some seem to think is quite sad.

So no, it is not as easy as "Dont sign it if you dont want it" b/c many dont actually have a choice as they NEED internet for work

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Bill Neilson:

So no, it is not as easy as "Dont sign it if you dont want it" b/c many dont actually have a choice as they NEED internet for work

You NEED internet for work but are only willing to pay for residential service. You get what you pay for.

Enterprise and government agreements are not cookie cutter agreements.