« Let this be so!err, no »
This is a sub-selection from $60?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to spewak

Re: $60?

said by spewak:

I am just curious what the uptake is on that Live Gold sub. fee of $60?
On a personal note, my son has an xbox that were using Netflix on until the trial period ended for the Gold sub. With the availability of Netflix on almost any device, I skipped the sub. fee.

I agree it's stupid. PS3, blu-ray players, roku, etc. Plenty of other devices that have Netflix and Hulu Plus so for MS to charge for access to this is dumb. Already paying $8 for Netflix and $8 for Hulu Plus then pay another $60? If you're paying for XBL gold for other reasons then yeah it's a nice add-on.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Xbox users have Gold subscriptions. This is to tap into that market.

Edit: Not vast majority. 60%. According MS numbers, that's about 12M people. Not a bad number. »www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/12/mi···y-games/

Premium
West Tenness
said by Badonkadonk:

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Xbox users have Gold subscriptions. This is to tap into that market.

Edit: Not vast majority. 60%. According MS numbers, that's about 12M people. Not a bad number. »www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/12/mi···y-games/

Actually it's 50%

Microsoft also let it be known that there’s 25 million Xbox Live subscribers, but only half of those people have the “real” Xbox Live, Xbox Live Gold

Because you can't play online without paying. If you could play online without paying it wouldn't be anywhere close to 50%. which tells you the "value" of paying for acess to Hulu Plus, Netflix, Facebook etc etc.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
Yeah, 50%. My mistake. Regardless, 12.5M people is a lot.

I don't get the last paragraph. Of course it wouldn't be worth paying for Gold if gaming was free. That's the primary reason for Gold. The other stuff is just a nice add-on for those that don't have HTPCs.

Premium
West Tenness
said by Badonkadonk:

Yeah, 50%. My mistake. Regardless, 12.5M people is a lot.

I don't get the last paragraph. Of course it wouldn't be worth paying for Gold if gaming was free. That's the primary reason for Gold. The other stuff is just a nice add-on for those that don't have HTPCs.

The point is all the other stuff should be on the silver membership. I shouldn't have to pay to use my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions that I'm already paying for.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
I won't disagree with that. I'm surprised that they don't allow that.

I wish they would enable NF and H functionality even on banned Xbox consoles. They could pick up a lot of subs with something like that.