jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

9 recommendations

[POLL] Media Players-2011 Member Choice

Welcome to our 2011 Member Choice poll for your preferred Media Player(s)!

As we all know, the general term “Media Player” can have many different definitions, including computer software players, and an enormous number of various hardware devices (such as home theatre components), not to mention a growing number of portable hardware devices capable of playing many different types of "media".

However, for this poll, we will be focusing on application software media players for computers (as we have in years past), perhaps best described by Wikipedia:
quote:
Media player is a term typically used to describe computer software for playing back multimedia files. Most software media players support an array of media formats, including both audio and video files
Some media players focus only on audio or video and are known as audio players and video players respectively. The producers of these players usually focus on providing a better user experience as they are specifically tailored toward the media type.
Microsoft Windows comes with pre-loaded Windows Media Player. The latest is Windows Media Player 12, which is bundled with Windows 7. Mac OS X comes pre-loaded with QuickTime Player for playing QuickTime movies and iTunes for playing a variety of media formats. Linux distributions come pre-loaded with various media players including Amarok, VLC, MPlayer, xine, and Totem.

Even the number of choices for computer software media players available is almost endless, so obviously we can't list all of them.
No question some of your favorites may have been left out...(thus the "OTHER" choice, when voting in the poll).
If you have a preferred media player other than some of those listed, by all means, share it with us! (Along with some details as to why you like it, and a link to the available home page, when possible).
We've also added the increasingly popular "Windows Media CENTER" for choices this year...the latest included with some versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. True, a bit different than the others listed, but perhaps a small glimpse of what's to come in the future when we refer to application software "Media Players".
This is obviously a multiple choice poll, since many of us use more than one depending on our needs.
Thank you in advance for your participation!

SafireDonkey
Premium
join:2006-10-29
Great poll, jabarnut,
I mostly use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to jabarnut
Winamp Pro & Win7 Media Center

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jabarnut
Whatever media player that comes installed with Vista Basic...I don't use it at all. I also have the PowerDVD installed...don't use that either. If I want to watch a dvd, I have a dvd player that is connected to my tv. Same with cds...separate cd player.
--
Lonnie

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to jabarnut
jabarnut, wonderful poll
I run AIMP 3.0
not on the list,

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

4 edits
I voted: WMC, VLC, and Other (for Boxee software, my primary media player on Windows; I have also dabbled with XBMC and Plex once on my husband's MacBook Pro).

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to jabarnut
Nice job with the poll Jabar.
Media Player classic that comes with K-Lite Codec pack.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to jabarnut
100% WinAmp for audio files.
VLC for the most part for video and the like, with Media Player Classic filling in any gaps

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to jabarnut
Great poll jabarnut! I have been using MediaMonkey for a while now, and really love it.

EDIT: I should state that I only use MediaMonkey for Music files. For Video files, I use VLC.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
reply to jabarnut
Winamp & MPC: Home Cinema are my primaries for audio & video, respectively. Also have QT Lite & Real Alternative installed.

dslmike

join:2009-02-07
Surprise, AZ
reply to jabarnut
Media Player Classic and VLC when I need to play some old .ram videos.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

2 recommendations

reply to jabarnut
Great poll, J

iTunes (switchless) and WMP 11

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to jabarnut
For audio, I use ye olde Winamp 2. I've no need of anything newer.

For video, I use Media Player Classic but keep VLC as a (rarely-used) backup.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
reply to jabarnut
Sometimes I use Windows Media Center (Vista), Windows Media Player 11, foobar2000, Songbird, and for Blu-Ray/DVD playback, I use Roxio CinePlayer.

XR999
See ya Rogers.

join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON
reply to jabarnut
Zune for all my music and most of my video (I have a Zune so why not) with VLC or Windows Media Player 12 thrown in for anything Zune can't play.

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to jabarnut
MPC-HC for all my video and Winamp 2.95 for audio.

VLC once in a blue moon.

MorpheusUK

join:2003-09-09
reply to jabarnut
Winamp 5.6 - Mainly used for audio
Foobar2000 - Used exclusively as a DLNA Client (works better than Winamp plugins and supports FLAC streaming)
VLC - Most Video formats
Media Player Classic Home Cinema - Nominally DVD Playback but it is used rarely.
WMP12 - Web sites and P2P TV apps that stream its formats and wont work without it.
--
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not after you

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to jabarnut
Media Player Classic for video
Winamp for audio

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jabarnut
Voted for several, but I am also using Clementine in Linux as a media player for my music.

Good poll jabarnut See Profile. Thanks

penguins4evr
Premium
join:2002-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to jabarnut
Very nice poll; thank you!

I chose foobar2000, KMPlayer (I like that it can play flash .flv files out of the box), VLC, and "OTHER." The "OTHER" is a music player simply called "Player" and utilizes Gracenote for song information. It can be found at »www.vuplayer.com/.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to jabarnut
- MPC-HC for most video files

- Winamp for most audio files

- WMP 12 for DVDs and MPEG-TS files (MPC-HC doesn't support mpeg2 hw acceleration/deinterlace for some reason; VLC does a bad job at it in my experience)

- VLC media player for anything that won't play in the software mentioned above.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

swinn

join:2001-02-16
Clarksville, TN
reply to jabarnut
Voted for Other: Zune

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

3 edits
reply to jabarnut
Oh, and for the record, my votes are for:
WMP 11, WMP12, WMC Vista, WMC Win7, VLC, Winamp, XMplay, SMPlayer, and Power DVD. Hmmm....maybe I need a few more?
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
reply to jabarnut
Nero Showtime

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to SafireDonkey
XMPlay is the best!

Simple and lightweight!!

And plays just about any Audio file.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to jabarnut
VLC, KMP, Winamp, and WMP 11 are what I usually use. they seem to cover all of the bases (and formats) for me.

I used to play around with a lot of the other ones, but I really don't watch movies or listen to music much using my computers (I hate having to also listen to their fan noise).

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
reply to jabarnut
Thanks jabarnut See Profile. I voted for Windows Media Player 11.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4
reply to jabarnut
Thanks for the poll. I voted WMP11, VLC, Media Player Classic and Irfanview. MPC primarily for making thumbnails.

Also voted QuickTime alternative and Real alternative which I believe are just codecs, not actual players.

Oh and there is an OEM version of CyberLink PowerDVD still installed. I use it rarely.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
reply to jabarnut
Foobar2000 for my audio files, Media Player Classic for everything else.

A1
Premium
join:2005-08-28
PA
reply to jabarnut
VLC, Winamp and MPC-HC is what I use.