spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cora

join:2008-06-25
New York, NY

How Do I Adjust My New Acer 21.5 Widescreen Monitor?

I just bought an Acer 21.5 inch wide screen, 1080 monitor. This is my first wide screen monitor, my first being a 19 inch Dell.

My problem is correctly adjusting this monitor to my needs. In default, most pages are not spread across the width of the monitor but centered and the letters and icons are very tiny. I have tried to compensate by decreasing the resolution a little and zooming in all pages. Of course, this is a temporary fix.

Using the controls beneath the monitor is a nightmare for me. I have been up all night working on this monitor.

I hope anyone with this same monitor will respond and assist me with this Acer monitor since the manual is absolutely useless and written in a font of 5!

Thanking you in advance,

Cora

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
If you are using a DVI / HDMI connection, there are no adjustments you can make on the monitor.

If you have a true 1080 monitor (1920x1080), 21.5" is going to make everything on the screen fairly small. I have two 24" 1920x1080 screens on my desk at work and that's about the smallest physical screen i'd get at that resolution.

Acer does use a rather 'unique' control system on their monitors, and I think a digital copy of the manual is included on CD, but I can't remember for sure, and I don't have one nearby to look.

srr2

join:2001-12-20
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Cora
Did you confirm that the video adapter is set at the resolution the monitor is expecting? Normally they pick that up automatically, but there are always exceptions. There should not be black bands at top or sides. Which interface between video and monitor are you using? VGA or DVI? If you're using VGA, but have DVI available at both devices, by all means, use the DVI. You'll have far fewer issues with it.

Are you using Vista or Windows 7? Once you have the adapter and monitor in agreement, you can investigate "Display" in Control Panel. You can magnify screen elements there if you still find them hard to read.
--
From the beautiful Lehigh Valley (That's LV, not LHV, we're not French) Pennsylvania.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Cora
Click for full size
Are you talking about web pages coming out like this? As in everything fits the screen including the web browser but the pages don't seem to fit?

If so there isn't much you can do. It's an issue with who developed the web pages. They are the ones still coding it for square monitors.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cora

New York, NY
reply to srr2
Thank you all for your responses. I will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

First, when I mentioned pages not being the width of the monitor, this only occurred when I was attempting to adjust the resolution so that the fonts would appear a normal size.

My computer, Dimension E521, has only one of the connectors which I think is VGA. It is the cord with the blue connection heads. I went back to the CD and found the help manual which looks promising. Before only the setup was downloaded from the CD. I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out the adjustment buttons beneath the monitor and just could not grasp it. If I did anything correctly is was by pure chance. Using the "Pattern" to make adjustments always froze my screen.

My OS is Vista. Yes, the resolution was automatically picked up, however as I stated before, everything else is so small. And on some pages where the font size is normal, it looks like a bad xerox copy; out of focus. This is my first widescreen, is this normal?

Jahntassa
Premium
Conway, SC
said by Cora:

And on some pages where the font size is normal, it looks like a bad xerox copy; out of focus. This is my first widescreen, is this normal?

Quite possibly yes, running a resolution of that size via VGA will tend to be blurry in my experience, but then your issue may be unrelated to the monitor itself, and more to zoom / DPI settings on your computer.

Cora

New York, NY
reply to Cthen
Yes, yes, yes!! My web pages come out just like that!!! I am about reading to reconnect my 19 inch Dell with its nice clean and normal size website pages.lol

Thank you.

Cora

New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Cthen
Yes, yes, yes!! My web pages come out just like that!!! I am about reading to reconnect my 19 inch Dell with its nice clean and normal size website pages.lol

How do you handle pages like that?

Thank you.

One other thing, I use FF and the bottom toolbar is missing. I am not referring to the Task Bar, but a toolbar which has the NoScript, Personas and other icons. I searched View and it is not listed there.

Please forgive the double post. Unfortunately, I could not delete one.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Cora
Click for full size
Click for full size
The only thing I can think of to help make the pages fit better is to lower the desktop resolution. I have mine set for 1680x1050. At 1280x800 it might come out better for you or you can try other resolutions to see what works for you best.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cora

New York, NY
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful assistance.

I thought I would enjoy a widescreen monitor, but so far it is just too much trouble. Tonight I was watching movies on VeeHD and every time I went into full screen mode I had to use Task Manager to get out. Nothing happened when I right clicked on the screen for the contextual menu.

When I try to read my AOL mail, the font reverts back to small with every email I open. And of course with the email open there is no zoom feature. I am just venting at this moment.

I received a reply from Acer and they suggested I download an update for the Nvidia driver, if there is one. I will try that. Of course they did not provide a link but I will find it.

I wish you all continued blessings,

Cora

Cora

New York, NY
Were any of you required to install an updated driver for your monitor? I am somewhat concerned about the drive Nvidia wants me to install. Just the download takes 5 minutes! That is a large file of 102 mb.

»www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Jahntassa
Premium
Conway, SC
nVidia drivers are typically around 104Mb for any recent card.

Also, many (some) webpages are not designed to 'fill' your widescreen monitor. I, personally, do not browse with my browser fullscreen, so I typically don't have 'white space' on either side of the content as you see above.

Typically when in a full-screen video viewer, you must use the 'ESC' key on your keyboard to exit the full-screen video. Task manager is typically not needed.

angelique9
Premium
join:2004-03-09
Alhambra, CA
reply to Cora
You might check and see if your video driver has a scaling option for monitors. I have an ATI video card which automatically set the scaling to -15%. My HP 27" HD monitor had bands around the display. C hanging the scaling to 0% gave me a full screen monitor.

MUT308
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Oakland, CA
reply to Cora
Take a picture of your screen and upload the pic. This will give us a better idea what you are seeing so we can tell you how to set things right. It isn't a hassle to switch to widescreen, so there must be something you misunderstand or aren't quite doing right.
--
SSDTweaks.net - Optimizing your SSD for Windows - »ssdtweaks.net

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to Cora
As others have stated; Unless the website developer has developed their pages for non-static CSS, they will format their pages for 1280x1024, which is the current standard.

You will find that most website developers will set this standard to ensure that the proper formatting is used, and that images don't become misaligned. Other than dealing with multiple browser compatibility problems, there is nothing that widescreen users can do to counter this problem.

--
First the UBB, now let's wait for Bill C-32.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Cora
This is a very common issue for people who don't understand how LCD monitors work. When they had CRT monitors they just changed the resolution to what they wanted and they were done. LCD monitors have a native resolution where one pixel to be displayed equals one pixel on the screen. If you run at a lower resolution things look fuzy or out of proportion because the monitor now has to make one pixel displayed equal more than one pixel on the panel.

The best way to work with a monitor with an LCD monitor is to set it at its native resolution and adapt your settings to be more functional for you. Use larger icons, larger fonts, set your browser to user a larger font (hold down CTRL and use your mouse scroll wheel), and so on.

Cora

New York, NY
Thank you everyone for your assistance. The following is in response to your questions.

I tried the ESC key but it did not work, however I have found a work around. If I right click on the screen at the extreme bottom past the viewing area, it will exist full screen mode when watching a movie.

I have an integrated (?) video card, Nvidia 6500 LE, which contrary to Acer's advice does not have an update.

I may not understand the workings of LCD monitors, however, I never mentioned a CRT monitor since I never owned one. My previous monitor was a 19 inch Dell LCD monitor. With my new 21.5 inch monitor I was surprised at the differences other than being wide screen: extremely small font, web pages that were much narrower than the width of the monitor, the height of the monitor, etc.

Everyone has been very helpful and I have learned so much.

1. I now realize the small black squares only appear when I am watching a bad copy of a movie.
2. A monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 will definitely have small fonts.
3. The blurry fonts I wrote of earlier occurs when I increase the DPI. Fortunately it does not affect the fonts on the web pages. It occurs primarily on the sub menus of the control panel, i.e., Advance Settings of the Display Settings.
4. Adjusting the resolution, icons and dpi works best for me. Also, from time to time I must use Ctrl + scroll or the zoom feature.

Everything is not perfect, i.e., addon icons continues to be tiny and some pop up boxes must be stretched, but I am learning.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my cry for Help! This was my first experience with a wide screen monitor and it almost was my last.

Continued blessings,

Cora

MUT308
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Oakland, CA
Click for full size
Here's a screenshot of 1920x1080 on my 27" widescreen LCD. Anyone viewing this on a 21.5" widescreen with 1680x1050 resolution will see this as a 1920x1080 image, just as I do, but they if they view it at 100% resolution, they will have to scroll vertically and horizontally to view parts of the image that are hidden off the screen.

I'm not sure if this information helps or not, but essentially, if you set the resolution of your computer to the native resolution of your 21.5" LCD, nothing will be stretched, misshapen, or blurry.

As Kilroy stated, if things look to small for you at native resolution, the best thing is "to set it at its native resolution and adapt your settings to be more functional for you. Use larger icons, larger fonts, set your browser to user a larger font (hold down CTRL and use your mouse scroll wheel), and so on."

EDIT: If I am used to looking at a 1920x1080 resolution on a 24" LCD, and then I switch to a 27" LCD with the same resolution, everything is going to look bigger to me, despite being the same resolution.

--
SSDTweaks.net - Optimizing your SSD for Windows - »ssdtweaks.net

Cora

New York, NY
Hello again Mut,

All information I have received since starting this post has been helpful. It will take time for me to adjust to the widescreen. Even on the 19 inch screen my icons and fonts were set to large, which was normal viewing for me. That can give you some idea of how small everything appears on a 21.5 widescreen.

I understood what Kilroy wrote and have since attempted to maintain the default resolution of 1920x1080 while continuously readjusting the font as necessary. But it is very frustrating.

Again, thank you for your helpful assistance.

Continued blessings,

Cora

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
Click for full size
Make it easier to read what's on your screen
What version of Windows are you using?

I'm using Windows 7. If you right click the desktop and select Personalize. On that window in the lower right is Display. Select that and that attached screen should be available to you.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

Ssid Silver

join:2010-11-04
reply to Cora
I use an Acer monitor of the same size and resolution and I'm pretty happy with it overall. One factor that I don't think has been mentioned is viewing distance. In my case the monitor is about 2.5' or so from my eyes for browsing and I have no problem with the sizes of screen elements at 100%. The ctrl-scroll wheel trick is definitely handy though.

Cora

New York, NY
Hello Kilroy and Ssid,

My OS is Vista which does not have that particular screen nor is access to all those settings in one place.

Vista does have a text setting page (dpi) and through the Control Panel access can be obtained to Adjust Resolution. Color is calibrated through Nvidia's Control Panel, the integrated video card. Adjusting the display configuration and updating the display driver is done through Nvidia as well. They certainly have improved upon placement of these settings in Window 7. It took me some time to discover everything.

I could not give in measurements my distance from my monitor, however its placed in the center of an average size desk which I sit very close to.

Since my last communication I have been able to maintain the default resolution with the assistance of adjusting the dpi to 150% and wheel scrolling. This has given me a comfortable overall balance without the blurriness I mentioned earlier.

Of course, some things cannot be enlarged such as toolbar and task manager icons and my toolbar bookmarks. However, with the assistance of the right colored browser wallpapers (Personas for FireFox and Themes for Chrome) texts and icons are more pronounced.

To Ssid, our monitors have Pivot Pro included, do you have an icon with access to its features? After rotating the screen image, does the image readjusts itself?

Funny story: I mentioned the problems I was having with my widescreen to a member of a movie forum who knows me by another username. In his attempt to be helpful, he PM'd me a link to this thread with a note saying "someone has the same problem as you and she got some very helpful information in this forum."

He said he laughed when I PM'd him I was Cora, however he was correct, I did receive very helpful information in this forum.

Thank you again, I cannot express how grateful I am for this forum and your assistance.