sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook

Mod

Map for Toronto POIs

This is my best guesstimate for the Toronto POIs.

I don't know what serves East York (between Vic. Pk. and the Don River)

There will be local variations ... but this is the approximate layout.

It tends to follow the old Municipal boundaries of Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York, East York etc.

»maps.google.com/maps/ms? ··· 0c3d07cb

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Re: Map for Tornto POIs

Cool!
Teresita225
join:2005-08-31
Canada

Teresita225 to sbrook

to sbrook
Very nice! Well done!

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Nice!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by JGROCKY:

Nice!

Rocky, when you guys take an order, do you know which POI it's assigned to?
blablawtf
join:2011-02-02
Milton, ON

blablawtf to sbrook

to sbrook
very well done! thanks - needed this!!!!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

See my post
»Update on recent new POIs/Upgrades

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook

Mod

I doubt that the post code list includes the actual POI it will be on.

Rogers and the other cable operators don't publish cable service coverage maps for their overall service area (unlike for cellular service), so I doubt they'd release head end info.

My info was simply based on the little I know of how the cable companies were originally laid out in the cities and hence given the location of the POIs, the areas they'd cover.

And if you think I'm gonna sit down and reverse engineer Post Code to POI!!! I don't have 12 months to spend on that project because then you'd want to verify becaues there'd be mistakes.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Could we put together a list, from at least of current members, with the first 3 letters of the postal code they're on, and the POI they're on according to their tracert.

We could put pins on the google map colour coded, that could help create a more accurate coverage map.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Could we put together a list, from at least of current members, with the first 3 letters of the postal code they're on, and the POI they're on according to their tracert.

We could put pins on the google map colour coded, that could help create a more accurate coverage map.

The POI boundaries will either be major streets or geographic obstacles (rivers or ravines). With some intelligent guesses as to where to ask to get data from, (ie. if we suspect that 3 POI's intersect at Eglinton/Keele, then we get people in each quadrant about that intersection to give us info) the boundaries in Toronto could probably be ascertained with about 200 data points.

Maybe some stuff can be dug out of archive.org for Graham Cable, Shaw (when they were in Toronto), as I suspect that some of the POI's as noted above have not likely to have changed since those days.
Expunged
join:2010-07-03
Markham, ON

Expunged

Heres that data (postal code boundaries) from canada post. -> »www.canadapost.ca/cpc2/a ··· LL-e.asp

More specifically for the GTA -> »www.canadapost.ca/cpc2/a ··· ON20.pdf

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

From what I've seen of both Ottawa and Toronto postcode maps, there's gonna be a LOT of the "ANA" codes that will overlap the area boundaries.

I think it takes more than the first half of the code to do this.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well, we could do the full postal code... We dont have to post it in the public forum, they can be PM'd to sbrook and he can enter it anonymously on the map as a "Scarlett User" or "McNicoll user".

Make a sticky post requesting the info, how to obtain your POI name if you don't already know, and presto... Would be neat IMO, and it could help in the newer POIs outside of the GTA where they cover a larger area.
karennewton
join:2007-06-07
Toronto, ON

karennewton

M5A 4H8 is Bloor2.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to HiVolt

Mod

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Well, we could do the full postal code... We dont have to post it in the public forum, they can be PM'd to sbrook and he can enter it anonymously on the map as a "Scarlett User" or "McNicoll user".

Aww Gee, thanks! Your generosity is overwhelming. Another job I barely have time for !

I think the best thing to do is to just have people email me here at DSLR if they are served by a "DIFFERENT POI" from the one indicated on the map for their address and sufficient tracert that I can verify it.

That will be far and away less work for me and something I am prepared to do. Anybody who emails me and are within the correct geographic area will have a disconnect request placed with TSI

I can't verify Rogers phubs from traces at this time, so please don't send me apparent corrections based on Rogers users. If that changes in the future, I'll consider doing that.

Address is going to be far more accurate than post code which is one reason why we're getting quite a few "It's not available for me but it accepts my post code" messages.
sbrook

sbrook

Mod

I just spent a few minutes verifying the post code that karennewton just provided. It took me several minutes to do the crosschecking to discover that there's absolutely no question from the map I did that she's in Bloor ... making me convinced that the correct way to do this is just by address and the map ...

If the map's wrong send me address or post code and I'll compile corrections to the map. That's far more productive.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Can you give someone else access to modify the map? heck i'll plot the pins of users if you like... no big deal.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook

Mod

A million pins are just going to overwhelm the map. You want a pinned map, make a copy of it and you could do it ... I'd rather leave mine by address.

ajhaji
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Nice job!
canadiancow
Premium Member
join:2011-05-01
Kitchener, ON

canadiancow to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Can you give someone else access to modify the map? heck i'll plot the pins of users if you like... no big deal.

I threw together a little Google Maps script for this at »www.canadiancow.com/teks ··· ndex.php

Enter your address, postal code, or some other piece of information that can be geolocated to a latitude and longitude, and click "Add". It will do a traceroute to you, and assuming you're on TekSavvy, it will pull the name of the POI from the results. If it can't resolve it, then it will just use the IP address, but this can be changed later if we get the name.

Let me know what you think, and if you encounter any problems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Cool, you should also make it viewable for those who dont want to enter their info, or just to check it out.
canadiancow
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

canadiancow

Premium Member

You should be able to view it by just going to the URL, and not filling out the form.

Although right now, there's only three entries, so it isn't much yet.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by canadiancow:

You should be able to view it by just going to the URL, and not filling out the form.

Although right now, there's only three entries, so it isn't much yet.

The map only appears if you let the site detect your location.
canadiancow
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

canadiancow

Premium Member

said by grunze510:

My bad. Fixed. Now you can deny it, and it will still load. It hangs in Chrome if you don't allow or deny it though.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by canadiancow:

said by grunze510:

My bad. Fixed. Now you can deny it, and it will still load. It hangs in Chrome if you don't allow or deny it though.

Using FF 4.0.1 on Mac, it doesn't do anything if I choose "not now" for geolocation.
canadiancow
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

canadiancow

Premium Member

said by grunze510:

said by canadiancow:

said by grunze510:

Using FF 4.0.1 on Mac, it doesn't do anything if I choose "not now" for geolocation.

Okay I've disabled geolocation for now. It will default to Toronto.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by JGROCKY:

Nice!

kinda.... we receive assigned postal codes per POI.
Riazg
join:2005-01-01
North York, ON

Riazg to canadiancow

to canadiancow
said by canadiancow:

said by HiVolt:

I threw together a little Google Maps script for this at »www.canadiancow.com/teks ··· ndex.php

Enter your address, postal code, or some other piece of information that can be geolocated to a latitude and longitude, and click "Add". It will do a traceroute to you, and assuming you're on TekSavvy, it will pull the name of the POI from the results. If it can't resolve it, then it will just use the IP address, but this can be changed later if we get the name.

Let me know what you think, and if you encounter any problems.

Perfect! I just added my location on the map. Very nice solution indeed! I think we should make a sticky with the site and everyone can contribute to the mapping process.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to JGROCKY

Premium Member

to JGROCKY
said by JGROCKY:

said by HiVolt:

said by JGROCKY:

Nice!

kinda.... we receive assigned postal codes per POI.

Well that should be easy to slap a map together with, no? Or are you guys not prepared to do that? It could be unofficial just for this forum.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Well that should be easy to slap a map together with, no? Or are you guys not prepared to do that? It could be unofficial just for this forum.

Emailed about trying to figure something out.... more a matter of time. We're pretty heavy into a variety of things right now (Phones, VOIP, Biz Services, Marketing, automation, reporting, etc...). Going to try and slide some of the mapping into the marketing discussions and see if we can integrate stuff....